WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: python3.9.tcz needs expat2.tcz for libexpat.so.1 for pip3 to work  (Read 1522 times)

Offline reg

I am not sure if this is common with all of the flavors or just the Corepure64 64.  If you install the python3.9.tcz package and pip3 barfs with an error about libexpat.so.1, using tce-ab to install expat2.tcz will make it happy.  Perhaps this can get fixed in the dependencies.

As an aside, and I don't claim to be at all good at this, but I looked at the python 3.9 dev and that had tons of X11 stuff, does that being over a GUI or something?  Is there a place to get a better description of what a package is than searching for it with tce-ab and reading the first page?  I like to keep tiny tiny so I have got so I always look at the dependencies and the tree and the files as well as the size, but the fact there are so many python pieces baffles me.  Doesn't pip go and fetch anything you need for you for the most part?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: python3.9.tcz needs expat2.tcz for libexpat.so.1 for pip3 to work
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 12:59:35 AM »
..but the fact there are so many python pieces baffles me.  Doesn't pip go and fetch anything you need for you for the most part?

pip installs python packages to ram, whereas python extensions use very little ram.

Offline reg

Re: python3.9.tcz needs expat2.tcz for libexpat.so.1 for pip3 to work
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 01:51:39 PM »
That makes sense.  I keep forgetting most of the filesystem is temporary.