WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Tiny Core 13.0 Alpha 1 Testing  (Read 13785 times)

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Tiny Core 13.0 Alpha 1 Testing
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2022, 03:03:10 AM »
It would be nice to make tiny corrections to mplayer-cli.tcz.dep

dep file adjusted - thanks for reporting this

Offline GNUser

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2022, 05:39:31 AM »
At this point I've tested this on my personal laptop, family media player, and router. These three devices use very different sets of extensions. Everything is working perfectly.

FYI - Recent versions of firefox (e.g., newest version compiled by the developers and provided as a portable/distro-agnostic tarball here: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/) work perfectly.

Juanito, I submitted a few new extensions for TCL13 x86_64. Please post at your convenience--no rush at all.

Happy new year, everybody!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 05:52:10 AM by GNUser »

Offline andyj

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2022, 08:20:36 PM »
I have two small patches I'd like to see in the new version. One is a change to a patch I submitted a few years ago. It moves the custom static IP configuration from wait4Server() to just after the loopback interface configuration. This way an IP can be configured as static regardless of where the extensions are loaded from. The other adds the optional ability to specify an absolute path for the .lst file when using a CD repository. One way this helps is in an environment with several VM's, one ISO image can be used for multiple VM's by using a .lst file loaded in an initrd. Here is an example of both in use:

Code: [Select]
DEFAULT pxe
LABEL pxe
KERNEL pxelinux.cfg/default-boot/vmlinuz32-13
INITRD pxelinux.cfg/default-boot/rootfs32-13a.gz,pxelinux.cfg/default-boot/modules32-13.gz,pxelinux.cfg/default-boot/my-www-data.gz
APPEND host=www-vm lst=/etc/sysconfig/www.lst printk.time=1 lang=en_US.UTF-8 cron rsyslog=192.168.3.11 quiet noswap nozswap nodhcp=static_ip cde tce=/ udev.children-max=24

On a separate note all the extensions I normally maintain compile without any overly unusual complications so I should have those ready to submit soon.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2022, 11:31:38 PM »
Applied the nodhcp patch, but the lst one feels very wrong. The list is supposed to be where the extensions are, it's quite a frankenstein setup for it to come from outside the iso when extensions are in the iso.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline polikuo

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2022, 02:13:51 AM »
Hi, all.

I just send the new fltk extensions for x86_64. (fltk-xft, fltk-full)

I don't keep the headers because they are the same as fltk-1.3-dev.

Please post at your convenience when you rebuild the main extensions.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2022, 03:07:35 AM »
Posted - thanks

'pity there's not an fltk-wayland...

Offline polikuo

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2022, 03:32:13 AM »
Posted - thanks

'pity there's not an fltk-wayland...

They will probably add it in version 1.4
https://www.fltk.org/str.php?L3371

BTW, it would be nice to update the main fltk-1.3, fltk-1.3-dev to 1.3.8 as well.

They are compatible, but not identical. (No Rush)

Offline andyj

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2022, 05:01:45 AM »
Applied the nodhcp patch, but the lst one feels very wrong. The list is supposed to be where the extensions are, it's quite a frankenstein setup for it to come from outside the iso when extensions are in the iso.

Why does the list of extensions to load HAVE to be physically tied to where the extensions are? A shared iso image source saves a lot of space, but is only feasible if the iso doesn't have to be remastered every time one of the .lst files changes. Any change to a shared iso image requires that every VM that uses it be powered down.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2022, 07:58:16 AM »
Your lst files change often without the extensions themselves changing? That's a really specific setup. Normally you'd imagine updates happening at the same time.

The static_ip patch is probably not used by anyone else either, but the lst one just makes no logical sense. As per the script, the lst files are supposed to be right next to the extensions, same media, same partition. For them to come from a different device altogether makes no sense. So I'll ask you to keep this one as a local patch.

Using an iso this way with many VMs may be more convenient than a shared NFS repo, I acknowledge that.

Offline mocore

• ~.~
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2022, 12:27:48 PM »
as previously mentioned  @ http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,23582.msg157321.html#msg157321

request  i2c-gpio.ko module be added to the i2c tinycore modules extension

afair i2c-gpio.ko was missing in x86_64 , is there any reason for its absence ?

i have loaded 13 rc and had some issue starting chrome ,
 it loaded but tabs would crash many missing .so , even  linking .so to correct paths did not fix tab crash 

i can provide more detailed info if its of use
 ..but dont curently have usb mouse to hand

also wrt base glibc
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,25446.0.html
The loader cache is one of the few exceptions. Adapting it to a non-FHS context is fruitful for Guix and for the other distros and packaging tools in a similar situation; perhaps it could become an option in glibc proper?

« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 12:46:02 PM by mocore »

Offline GNUser

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2022, 12:46:15 PM »
i have loaded 13 rc and had some issue starting chrome ,
 it loaded but tabs would crash many missing .so , even  linking .so to correct paths did not fix tab crash 
Hi, mocore. Older browser versions are not working well with latest linux kernel and/or latest glibc. I had same issue with firefox and chromium. So I guess chrome is affected as well. This is not TCL's fault.

I just tried and the latest chrome is working fine with TCL13 alpha x86_64. Get the latest 64-bit .deb package here (https://www.google.com/chrome), unpack it (ar -x google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb), extract data.tar.xz , then run opt/google/chrome. It works without any fiddling.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 12:50:05 PM by GNUser »

Offline mocore

• ~.~
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2022, 01:06:11 PM »
 ;D
This is not TCL's fault.
;) this reminds me of "fix the problem not the blame"  .www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yYu3KdRmJM

so im pointing no fingers , however any relevent links/info wrt what / why backwards compatablity brakes for some bin's would be enlightening!

Offline andyj

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2022, 03:41:55 PM »
Using an iso this way with many VMs may be more convenient than a shared NFS repo, I acknowledge that.

Yes, it's a lot easier to setup, and the extension source is read only which is a security bonus.

At least I didn't come away empty handed  8)

Offline polikuo

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2022, 11:07:47 PM »
Hi, again.

@Juanito, would you mind taking a little time to re-configure the perl extension ?
We have discussed it in this post before, the "pager" problem.

I just check your note, it's not fixed.

Code: [Select]
tc@box: ~ $ grep ^pager /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.32/core_perl/Config_heavy.pl
pager='/usr/bin/less -isR'

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2022, 01:19:19 AM »
as previously mentioned  @ http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,23582.msg157321.html#msg157321

request  i2c-gpio.ko module be added to the i2c tinycore modules extension

afair i2c-gpio.ko was missing in x86_64 , is there any reason for its absence ?
Just an oversight, didn't see your earlier post either. However it's a bit late now, not sure I'm going to do a rebuild just for that.