WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: how to type the plus minus symbol  (Read 2394 times)

Offline Iowa_Nate

how to type the plus minus symbol
« on: December 31, 2021, 12:02:52 AM »
turn out the file usr/local/share/doc/mutt/manual.txt has the plus minus symbol (its a plus on top of a minus) after literally every letter.
the words look like this Innttrroodduuccttiioonn.

the first quest of this adventure is to learn to type the plus minus symbol. after some google searches I tried ctrl+shift+u and the symbol in hex which is 0xB1 doing that in the terminal looks like this
Code: [Select]
tc@box:$!
perhaps I am not using the right code for the version of ISO unicode that tc.12 utilizes.
the file is just a complete mess.
once I can type the plus minus symbol i can use
Code: [Select]
tc@box:$ sed -i -e s/(plus minus symbol)//g usr/local/share/doc/mutt/manual.txt

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: how to type the plus minus symbol
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 12:04:39 AM »
I don't think it's literally that symbol, rather it just looks like it on your current setup. manual.txt is likely utf-16 encoded, you can check with "file" and convert with "iconv -f utf16 -t ascii path/to/manual.txt".
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Iowa_Nate

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 01:46:13 AM »
result of "file" shows ASCII.

tried alt+241 (result of google search for how to type the plus minus symbol in ASCII) in the term. result was null. I need to use the term because i need to use sed to delete all the occurrences of the elusive symbol

according to wikipedia the correct way to enter the plus minus symbol is the compose key,+,-
I am not sure how to set the compose key.

I always pick the hardest things lol. I guess i like challenges. At least after becoming proficient in  using mutt and all the various options in muttrc I will probably completely understand all the things that make e-mail work. I'm like the little dog that thinks its a giant rottweiler. I'm a total noob that thinks its a sys admin.

Offline gadget42

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 02:49:26 AM »
here is a link to the latest updated version:

Last updated on December 30, 2021 by kevin8t8.
URL:<http://www.mutt.org/index.html>
The fluctuation theorem has long been known for a sudden switch of the Hamiltonian of a classical system Z54 . For a quantum system with a Hamiltonian changing from... https://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,25972.msg166580.html#msg166580

Offline Iowa_Nate

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 03:13:58 AM »
thanks gadget but last time I tried compiling from source it was a major pain in the ass. I'd like to use the TC version. I could probs check out the website for the manual tho. I need some sleep. I'll check back in later

Offline gadget42

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 03:31:26 AM »
get the latest updated mutt MANUAL via that webpage...
The fluctuation theorem has long been known for a sudden switch of the Hamiltonian of a classical system Z54 . For a quantum system with a Hamiltonian changing from... https://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,25972.msg166580.html#msg166580

Offline NewUser

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 08:49:03 PM »
In Windows (yes I know it doesn't necessarily apply), it is Alt+0177.   ±