WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: CloneZilla and uefi  (Read 1440 times)

Offline PDP-8

CloneZilla and uefi
« on: December 02, 2021, 02:33:44 AM »
Ok, so the list of easy to install utilities for 64-bit uefi seems never ending so I'll stop with Clonezilla.

Like some of the others, all it takes to boot on 64-bit uefi is to use the ZIP file.  Unzip it to a fat32 drive.  Done.  Well, eject/unmount nicely. :)

The docs show how to do this, but like some others, state that you must use the special exe or sh file to make it bootable after you have unarchived it.

On modern machines, this is not necessary.

BUT, some of the projects are taking their docs from a FOURTEEN year old (coming up on 15 years) doc from the PenDriveLinux project.

Hardware has moved on since 2007, and fortunately it is now just a simple unarchive and copy method of install.

Only Porteus explained it - the exe and sh files are for bios machines, but for modern machines (say post 2007 when the pendrivelinux docs came out), the need for the exe or sh file is not really necessary.

Just sayin' - the casual reader of those projects may gaze upon what looks like a huge multistep procedure, when the reality is modern gear has made it oh so easy.

Ok, I'll be good, there are many others that follow this simplified procedure (but they probably point to the 2007 docs).  That's ok, I'm good removing an unnecessary step.
That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth

Offline gadget42

Re: CloneZilla and uefi
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 08:16:15 AM »
much appreciate all your research!

sharing is caring!
The fluctuation theorem has long been known for a sudden switch of the Hamiltonian of a classical system Z54 . For a quantum system with a Hamiltonian changing from... https://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,25972.msg166580.html#msg166580

Offline PDP-8

Re: CloneZilla and uefi
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 01:44:16 PM »
I'll stop with Clonezilla.

I think the mesage here is that it will be OK if you want to purchase or use gear made after 2007.

In the hands of the skilled devs making the distribution, it all works like one is simply copying a grocery list to a new thumbdrive.

Maybe the ease of doing that and even throwing away tools like dd (which I love) is a threat. :) :)
That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth