WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Core 12.0 error on login ('/bb/tty not found')  (Read 2276 times)

Offline nomadbyte

Core 12.0 error on login ('/bb/tty not found')
« on: November 29, 2021, 02:23:30 PM »
Booting from a fresh copy of Core .iso (or CorePlus, version 12.0, now current for download)  picking the default boot option (e.g. 'Boot Core Plus with FLWM topside') from the menu continues on to boot to command line with the following error: 

Code: [Select]
-sh: /bb/tty: not found
sh: tty: unknown operand

This prevents it to boot automatically into the X (FLTK), which then needs a manual 'startx'.

On closer inspection, the problem stems from TERMTYPE=`/bb/tty` entry in .profile file.

The /bb path indeed does not exist any more in Core 12.0 (unlike in older versions). However, it may not be needed, as the busybox commands can be resolved directly (the busybox commands are now linked at '/usr/bin', see 'ls -al /usr/bin/tty').

So, the way to fix this problem is either to patch it in .profile to use '/usr/bin/tty' OR symlink /bb to /usr/bin.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Core 12.0 error on login ('/bb/tty not found')
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 10:54:21 PM »
I checked rootfs.gz/rootfs64.gz on the server and both contain TERMTYPE=`/usr/bin/tty`?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 11:53:19 PM »
I can't reproduce with the CorePlus 12 iso. Could this be from your backup?
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 07:16:31 AM »
Hi nomadbyte
I just checked my machines running TC4, 9, and 10. All 3 list  TERMTYPE=`/usr/bin/tty`  in both  ~/.profile  and
in  /etc/skel/.profile.  I even mounted a  TC3.8.4  ISO with the same results.

... The /bb path indeed does not exist any more in Core 12.0 (unlike in older versions). ...
I can't find where Tinycore ever had a  /bb  directory.

Offline nomadbyte

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 10:11:28 AM »
I can't reproduce with the CorePlus 12 iso. Could this be from your backup?

I just realized that when I was booting a VM from the attached Core 12.0 .iso, turns out the VM also had a dCore-bionic installed on a virtual HDD, but not booting off it.  And the dCore's .profile indeed has the '/bb/tty' in TERMTYPE (dCore-bionic.iso 2020.05.23.18.41).

Not sure how the .profile gets mixed up after booting off the Core's iso.

Indeed, if booting the Core .iso without the dCore HDD attached, the tc .profile has only a reference to '/usr/bin/tty' and no more '/bb/tty not found' error is shown at login.

Thanks for checking this!