WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: wl.ko / broadcom sta  (Read 618 times)

Offline netsocket

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 10
wl.ko / broadcom sta
« on: August 08, 2021, 03:25:44 AM »
In versions 10 and 11 we had a wl.ko. Any chance it could be pulled into 12?

If not, would it be useful for me to pursue building the module myself? The broadcom 64 bit sta source is still published, I think, and if I recall I would only need the kernel headers. Or is there more TC environment of which I'm unaware?

Thanks.

Online Juanito

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 13334
Re: wl.ko / broadcom sta
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2021, 03:32:51 AM »
Ref: http://tinycorelinux.net/11.x/x86_64/tcz/src/wl/compile_wl

..the difficulty is likely to be the number of patches required.

Offline netsocket

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 10
Re: wl.ko / broadcom sta
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2021, 03:34:11 AM »
I see instructions for building modules elsewhere. Would still appreciate seeing it in the repository. Regards.

Online Juanito

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 13334
Re: wl.ko / broadcom sta
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2021, 03:41:03 AM »
I have no way to test so it might make more sense for you try compiling it - additional patches can be found here: http://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/b/broadcom-sta/broadcom-sta_6.30.223.271-17.debian.tar.xz

Offline netsocket

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 10
Re: wl.ko / broadcom sta
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2021, 03:46:00 AM »
OK, great, - I'll give it a shot. Regrettably I do have a way to test it and wish I didn't. :-)

Thanks.

Offline netsocket

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 10
Re: wl.ko / broadcom sta
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2021, 02:09:29 PM »
Following your recipe mostly, I built the module and loaded it. It didn't complain and I'm posting this via the result. So far so good with that degree of minimal testing.

Just a couple of notes wrt to the build. I used the Debian patch set you pointed me to, since it appears to be maintained and I have reasonable regard for their process. 21 patches, and some of them are stacked in the same files so a few .rej files got generated. I looked at them and they looked sane, so I built with the results of the patch. I had to make one change to get the build to complete. In lib, the Makefile is expecting wlc_hybrid.o_amd64, but the packaged version has wlc_hybrid.o_shipped. I renamed it to wlc_hybrid.o_amd64 and the build completed without errors.

Thanks for your help.