WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TC First Ecstatic Impression  (Read 5356 times)

Offline davec51

TC First Ecstatic Impression
« on: December 15, 2008, 06:13:38 PM »
I'm a compulsive Linux explorer. For the purpose I use an old Gateway with 400mhz CPU, 256RAM, NVidia card (ugh), and only a couple of gigs of HD space.
Just a half hour ago I burned the TC iso and booted. Wonderful! everything seems to work (I haven't yet tried to get on my network or print from a remote printer. The speed is amazing, the hardware detection perfect, and the package management easy and effective.
I regret I'm not technically competent to add anything to development.
I'm using (I think) the PPI/TCE method for persistence. Do you think that's the best for my machine? I have made a 512MB file for the purpose.
Thanks again for a great distro. Until now I thought Puppy was the best, but TC seems like a worthy rival.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: TC First Ecstatic Impression
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 06:11:14 AM »
Hi davec51,
Glad to hear you are having a good experience with TC.  Most of my machines are pretty much the same as yours - ~400mhz, 256MB RAM, 4GB HD.  Either the PPI/TCE mode or using TCZ packages should work well.   I use both of those modes at various times depending on my mood.  And 512MB of tclocal should be plenty of room for installed apps.

JW

Offline davec51

Disillusion
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 07:46:11 PM »
Ah, the morning after. I have been using TC for twenty-four hours now, and that honeymoon feeling is beginning to evaporate.
It's still amazingly fast. But I can't activate sound (I installed ALSA), can't connect to my other (wired) computer, running XP, can't print remotely, though I installed CUPS.
I suspect that the fault lies in me more than in the OS. I hope someone can help me find the right digital flowers to rekindle this romance.

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 08:09:51 PM »
did you try the oss extension instead of alsa - this would probably work better.

what error did you get with cups?

Offline davec51

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 07:30:12 AM »
"did you try the oss extension instead of alsa - this would probably work better.

what error did you get with cups?"

I did click the "sound on" in the OSS extension, with no results.
As for CUPS, I can't find it. I typed "localhost:631" in the address box, as I've done with other distros, but I can't connect.
It may be that my hardware is too shockingly old for any hope of success. It's an NVidia Riva 128 video card, for example, which never works with any Xorg configuration.
Thanks for your consideration, though.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 08:24:56 AM »
Is your sound card in the OSS list of supported devices?
http://manuals.opensound.com/devlists/Linux.html

What's your connection problem? If your ethernet card was not recognized automatically, please try rc7, that problem was fixed in rc6.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline davec51

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 09:39:06 AM »
Is your sound card in the OSS list of supported devices?
http://manuals.opensound.com/devlists/Linux.html

What's your connection problem? If your ethernet card was not recognized automatically, please try rc7, that problem was fixed in rc6.

My sound card is listed as "EnsoniqAudio PCI Ens1371," which is not listed. The "sound on" in OSS get the message "soundon no such command."
I am connected to the internet (I'm writing this from TinyCore). What I can't seem to do is connect with my WindowsXP server in another room (wired).
Thanks again for your help.

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 09:55:49 AM »
As for CUPS, I can't find it. I typed "localhost:631" in the address box, as I've done with other distros, but I can't connect.
did you load the cups extension and it dependencies gs and perl_xml?

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 10:20:14 AM »
What I can't seem to do is connect with my WindowsXP server in another room (wired).
I'm not an expert on this, but I believe you'll need a samba client and nobody compiled that extension for tc as yet...

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 11:55:09 AM »
FYI, your sound card chipset looks to be a SB (sound blaster) PCI 128 (from google)

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 10:23:56 PM »
I have a variant of "EnsoniqAudio PCI Ens1371" in my old desktop - it is labelled "soundblaster 128 pci" but there are some significant differences from the "mainstream" soundbalster cards - for instance, the sb module will not work with mine, it uses the es1371 module in dsl (or similar, I'm using my laptop at the moment).