WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Is core2usb not supposed to work in Windows 10 ?  (Read 5603 times)

Offline NewUser

Re: Is core2usb not supposed to work in Windows 10 ?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2021, 07:00:59 PM »
Johan, rd /s /q D: won't necessarily do anything. There is one hidden system directory on an "empty" thumdrive. That directory is "System Volume Information". CD to your thumb drive and enter this command:

rd /s /q "System Volume Information"

rd /s /q won't do anything

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2021, 10:28:22 PM »
Johan - yes, core2usb is problematic on some Windows 10 machines and I've seen your failure mode myself.

Stop tearing your hair out.  You seem already familiar with Rufus, and I use it for a variety of jobs myself, not just writing iso's in a windows environment.  I actually prefer it for formatting sticks as "non bootable", as it really cleans up and formats drives properly.

However many new users may be overwhelmed with the options, not knowing the difference between iso and dd methods.

Therefore the one I recommend for newbs to try is Balena Etcher - especially because it will verify after burn just in case someone got hold of some crappy stick.

That being said, since you already have working *nix systems up and running, why not take advantage of dd available in all of them?

Code: [Select]
dd if=/path/to/downloaded/tinycorexxx.iso  of=/dev/sdX bs=1M status=progress
(Where "X" is the actual device designator, like sdc etc)  The old school way to find this was to put in your new target usb stick, and then run dmesg in a terminal to see what it found at the very end.

To be paranoid, shutdown the box, and then remove the drive.

Note that this only recreates a read-only "virtual cd" so to speak so you can kick the tires. 

Now comes the second step for TC:  you either use the APPS function to download and run tc-installer.tcz and use THAT to write yet another stick - which properly writes TC with it's unique requirements properly.  That is your working stick.

OR if you choose the CorePlus iso, that already contains a bunch of other stuff, including the installer right in the menu bar.  Use that to make your secondary daily-driver stick.

Since you mentioned using Windows 10, for the 32-bit version of TC to work, the computer should of course have secure-boot disabled, and also be able to function with "legacy" modes - adjustable inside the so-called bios setup.

Hth - you've wasted waaay too much time on core2usb.  Use the dd command in your existing linux distributions..

« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 10:31:04 PM by PDP-8 »
That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth

Offline gadget42

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2021, 11:16:17 PM »
I did not find this topic or thread to be a waste of time at all.
I learned several things I did not know before, which is always
a good thing.

*edited post to add additional information and a link*

Wondered about "System Volume Information" and found several(here is one):
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-volume-information-on-external-drive-cant/63fa5478-d7b3-41e2-ba36-283f7a014000

And I agree with Rich that Windows takes undue liberties with external media.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 11:35:56 PM by gadget42 »
The fluctuation theorem has long been known for a sudden switch of the Hamiltonian of a classical system Z54 . For a quantum system with a Hamiltonian changing from... https://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,25972.msg166580.html#msg166580

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2021, 12:15:33 AM »
core2usb is not supported since a long time, it is obsolete. In fact, you do not need it, use UNETBOOTIN or similar tools.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2021, 12:50:04 PM »
It was a very useful tool in it's time - and thank you for writing it.

With more modern tools, I just think many who were born long after bootable CD's were a thing, don't realize that the initial burn is just the FIRST step to a daily-driver writable stick.

The new bootable usb stick is really a read-only virtual-cd, where it can function with that kind of layout (sce vs tce directories) with external storage and groking how to work in that environment, where to put external persistence and so forth.  Which works, but for some, this is a bit too nomadic and may not understand the whole TC groove or raison d'etre.

For most distro-hoppers, excited by the initial ability to boot, may miss the needed *secondary* step of using either the built-in installer program say from CorePlus - or temporarily downloading and running the tc-installer.tcz and running THAT to lay down the system properly a SECOND time to a different new stick, which allows for persistent storage and read/write as the daily driver.

At first, I think TC's total flexibility throws some for a loop - but stick with it, and the light-bulb goes off and the love begins. :)

« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 12:52:16 PM by PDP-8 »
That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth