WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Email server software  (Read 699 times)

Offline CNK

Email server software
« on: July 17, 2021, 01:23:55 AM »
I want to set up a system to receive emails via POP from a number of different servers and make them available on my LAN via IMAP, mainly so that I've got one central archive instead of stuff spread over different PCs and remote email servers.

I'm looking at fdm for getting the emails via POP. For the IMAP server I'm not decided on anything in particular (they all look a bit hard).

As far as I can see there's no email server software at all available for TC, but then there are a lot of different programs out there so I could be missing some. So are there any existing programs with extensions for TC12 (preferably 64 bit, but the build instructions for 32 bit extensions would be useful too, as would extensions for earlier TC releases) that would serve my purpose?

I know I can compile them from source and make my own extensions, but it might be wasting my time if an equivalent already exists which I'd be just as happy with.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: Email server software
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 06:33:00 AM »
Hi CNK
I use  claws-mail  to retrieve emails via POP:
http://tinycorelinux.net/10.x/x86/tcz/claws-mail.tcz.info
It is also in the TC11 and TC12 repos, but I don't see it in any of the x86_64 repos.

Offline CNK

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 12:33:54 AM »
It turns out that GNU mailutils includes an IMAP server, as well as lots of other useful programs such as movemail which can do the same thing that I was going to use fdm for.

There was a mailutils extension for TC 5 up to TC 10 by Juanito, but not for x86_64. I'll build a TC 12 x86_64 extension with similar features based on the compiling notes.

@Rich: I made the Sylpheed extension which is in the x86_64 repo, and it can fetch mail using the --receive-all option. However it won't run "headless", without starting up the user interface, which won't do for my use where I want to regularly get new mail automatically with a Cron job so I don't have to wait for it to download over my slow internet connection. CLAWS-Mail is based on Sylpheed, so I'm guessing it works much the same.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 07:16:57 AM »
Hi CNK
I just checked  claws-mail  and it does not appear to be able to run commands without launching the GUI.

I did read where someone used some trickery to run it headless:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=38685#p1374941

But if you have tools designed to run from a command line you are better off using them.