WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: "Criticism of desktop Linux" (ref:Wiki)  (Read 2011 times)

Offline xor

"Criticism of desktop Linux" (ref:Wiki)
« on: July 12, 2021, 11:58:53 AM »
"Criticism of desktop Linux" (ref:Wiki)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_desktop_Linux

Directory structure

The traditional directory structure, which is a heritage from Linux's Unix roots in the 1970s, has been criticized as inappropriate for desktop end users.[42][43] In particular, the Linux directory structure is criticized for scattering application-specific components in different system directories instead of keeping them in a common application-specific directory.[33] Some Linux distributions like GoboLinux[44] and moonOS have proposed alternative hierarchies that were argued to be easier for end users, though such proposals have achieved little acceptance.[45][46]

Within the framework of these positive guiding criticisms, Do you plan to develop a better system!?

{ This article was created with google translate from a different language. }
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 12:01:16 PM by xor »

Offline NewUser

Re: "Criticism of desktop Linux" (ref:Wiki)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 11:24:45 PM »
I do not speak for Tiny Core Linux or it's makers. But I'll hazard a guess. Uh, No

Offline hiro

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 01:39:03 AM »
we already have a different system. every application is mounted in /tmp/tcloop or so

Offline xor

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 06:23:42 AM »
I do not speak for Tiny Core Linux or it's makers. But I'll hazard a guess. Uh, No

:)

Offline gadget42

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 11:55:01 AM »
<sarcasm>there's always Plan9</sarcasm>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_9_from_Bell_Labs

The fluctuation theorem has long been known for a sudden switch of the Hamiltonian of a classical system Z54 . For a quantum system with a Hamiltonian changing from... https://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,25972.msg166580.html#msg166580

Offline hiro

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2021, 02:21:09 PM »
plan9 has it's own problems, e.g. /acme is in the wrong folder.

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2021, 03:46:19 PM »
Hah!  Just a rehash over and over for those who don't understand that Unix was only designed to be used by a small handful of computer researchers at ATT - it was not meant to be a marketable product for the masses.  Something to keep them busy in the 6th floor attic after ATT pulled out of Multics and OS research was verboten.

It was done kind of on the sly by promising ATT an "application" for patent-processing text editing.  On the equivalent of a raspberry-pi of the day:  DEC PDP-11.  They got much more than they asked for. :)

But criticism from "pundits" who don't know this even goes back to the 1981 classic from Donald Norman's article in Datamation magazine.

You should have seen the flames erupt back when your beard-growing dad used bang-paths in Usenet based on uucp.

At any rate, failure to understand the pre-linux / gnu era of the 70's, is what leads to such commercially-based comments - from the past or even now.

In my parallel universe, by the 6th grade, students would have to be able to show mastery of such simple skills of sed/grep/awk, pipes, herefiles and the like.  I can dream ..

That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth

Offline gadget42

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2021, 11:50:08 PM »
my parallel universe is The Probability Broach by L. Neil Smith,
perhaps with some Homeland by Cory Doctorow.
The fluctuation theorem has long been known for a sudden switch of the Hamiltonian of a classical system Z54 . For a quantum system with a Hamiltonian changing from... https://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,25972.msg166580.html#msg166580