WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: How to install mariadb  (Read 6068 times)

Offline kataka

How to install mariadb
« on: June 27, 2021, 10:14:07 AM »
Hi, i have installed tcl, apache, php, ssl, as per guides from parkytowers (and others, i guess): https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/Linux/TinycoreWS_1.shtml

I then installed mariadb-10.5.tcz and mariadb-10.5-client.tcz and got stuck. not any command is working. any help?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: How to install mariadb
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 11:10:33 AM »
Hi kataka
Welcome to the forum.

Did you start  mysql:
Code: [Select]
# /usr/local/etc/init.d/mysql startDon't include the  #  symbol in the command.

Offline andyj

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 11:12:10 AM »

Offline kataka

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 03:09:25 PM »
Thanks Andy, that did something.. will feed back shortly

Offline kataka

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 03:21:45 PM »
That seemed to have helped but no any idea what next..

Offline kataka

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2021, 03:31:40 PM »
warning cant create file /home/tc/mysql/data/server123.test (this directory is obviously wrong but i don't know where to set it)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 03:36:39 PM by kataka »

Offline kataka

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2021, 04:13:39 PM »
fatal error: cant open and lock privilege tables mysql.db not exist

Offline kataka

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2021, 05:37:07 PM »
another thing i do not understand is that i have to enter
tce-load -i mariadb-10.5-client
after every reboot whiles for mariab-10.5 (server) i get a message that it is installed already
i tried adding tce-load -i mariadb-10.5-client to /opt/bootlocal.sh  :o but it seems it is being ignored because entering tce-load -i mariadb-10.5-client  after booting returns OK
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 06:05:50 PM by kataka »

Offline andyj

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2021, 08:08:59 PM »
You only need the mariadb client for a computer that will work with a database on a different computer. If you have only one computer then mariadb alone is enough. If I remember correctly you don't need the client for a computer using the PHP native mysql client extension even if it isn't on the same computer as the server, but I've never tested that.

I only build mariadb so that the extensions I maintain can be compiled with support for it. I only use it enough to build test databases so "make check" can verify the extensions work like they should. I used mariadb for a month or two, but I was an Oracle DBA for many years and I soon realized mariadb was to databases what windows is to operating systems. I switched to Postgresql and things just started working like they should, like when I switched to Linux (in the mid '90s).

I'm sorry, but I'm at the limit of what I know about mariadb. Every time this comes up I ask that someone who actually cares about it take over maintaining it, but you can see that hasn't happened yet so this is as good as it gets for now.

I maintain the PHP, Apache, and Nginx extensions also, and I test them against mariadb, Postgresql, MS SQL Server, and Oracle on both 32 and 64 bit.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2021, 08:10:11 PM »
Hi kataka
Click on the  Apps  icon at the bottom of the screen.
When the  Apps  utility appears, click Apps->Maintenance->OnBoot Maintenance.
Click on  mariadb-10.5-client.tcz  in the left pane.
Click the  Add Item  button.
mariadb-10.5-client.tcz  should now load automatically when you boot.

Offline kataka

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2021, 02:36:22 AM »
Hi kataka
Click on the  Apps  icon at the bottom of the screen.
When the  Apps  utility appears, click Apps->Maintenance->OnBoot Maintenance.
Click on  mariadb-10.5-client.tcz  in the left pane.
Click the  Add Item  button.
mariadb-10.5-client.tcz  should now load automatically when you boot.

Thank you that worked fine. But why did installing tce-load -wi did not achieve this?

Offline kataka

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2021, 02:43:49 AM »
You only need the mariadb client for a computer that will work with a database on a different computer. If you have only one computer then mariadb alone is enough. If I remember correctly you don't need the client for a computer using the PHP native mysql client extension even if it isn't on the same computer as the server, but I've never tested that.

I only build mariadb so that the extensions I maintain can be compiled with support for it. I only use it enough to build test databases so "make check" can verify the extensions work like they should. I used mariadb for a month or two, but I was an Oracle DBA for many years and I soon realized mariadb was to databases what windows is to operating systems. I switched to Postgresql and things just started working like they should, like when I switched to Linux (in the mid '90s).

I'm sorry, but I'm at the limit of what I know about mariadb. Every time this comes up I ask that someone who actually cares about it take over maintaining it, but you can see that hasn't happened yet so this is as good as it gets for now.

I maintain the PHP, Apache, and Nginx extensions also, and I test them against mariadb, Postgresql, MS SQL Server, and Oracle on both 32 and 64 bit.

Few minutes after your first reply yesterday, i was able to get into the mysql cli... but then i rebooted and was not able to repeat the same process (should have taken notes of what i did)... still trying to get it to work.
I never used postgre never had a problem with mysql or mariadb. any reasons i should?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 02:46:22 AM by kataka »

Offline kataka

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2021, 03:26:53 AM »
When i click SERVICES in control panel and click mysql the green light goes on but goes off after few seconds. where i can i find an error about this?

Offline kataka

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2021, 03:30:37 AM »
Hi kataka
Welcome to the forum.

Did you start  mysql:
Code: [Select]
# /usr/local/etc/init.d/mysql startDon't include the  #  symbol in the command.

returns: sh:cant kill pid no such process. Error!

Offline andyj

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2021, 05:05:30 AM »
The mariadb client extension is a few libraries and executables from the server extension. If you install mariadb you already have every file in the mariadb client extension, so there is no point to installing both. The executables for mariadb are in /usr/local/mysql/bin, so you will need to add this to your PATH variable, or fully qualify the path to the executable you wish to run. You will also either need to add /usr/local/mysql/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf, or specify LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/mysql/lib whenever you run a mariadb executable.