WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: what are your current projects and nerd dreams or crazy ideas  (Read 809 times)

Offline Iowa_Nate

what are your current projects and nerd dreams or crazy ideas
« on: December 31, 2021, 02:40:40 AM »
lets share our projects, nerd dreams, crazy hair brained ideas!

heres mine

if any one is interested this is my ultimate nerd dream

the plan is to have one lap top for cd burning/ripping, one for dvd ripping/burning, these will have their screens removed and set up to be accessed remotely for maintenance, I need a script or program for these that would automate the process of optical media ripping/burning/saving to a media server/network connetced drive
2 completely awesome PC's for my family of 3 to share for use of web based activities, emulation of game consoles and DOS games, steam, GOG.com, regular PC games and accessing the media server and the dvd/cd stations through the local network.
The two PC's will of course display on sweet 48 inch TVs. wireless keyboard and mouse of course. maybe a pi in the kitchen so i could listen to music while i cook.

I think the modern games should be locally stored but maybe the ones for emulation could be stored on the server/network connected drive. it would be nice to do it all in linux. ARCH if I really wanna challenge myself.
obviously LAN and internet would be secure and safe from each other if possible.
also a set up for backing up my vinyl collection to the media server. A crap laptop to take on trips the we could load with media from the server

of course I could do this on all one computer but that would be heavy on system resources. I like the idea of building machines that do just one thing but they do it very efficiently. I think it would look pretty neat if there was just a body of a laptop and I could just pop in optical media and it would all happen automatically.  that way the main PC's can just focus on gaming and web activities plus doing it that way would probably teach me alot about networking and linux. not even sure if this is possible. any way thats the plan atleast

I give myself three years or mabey 2 years if i dial down my other hobbies. mostly because the learning curve seems pretty steep and the high price for 2 completly awesome PC's. I've got other projects that take time and money like gardening and record collecting/building my sound system
any tips,tricks,books,online tutorials, ect would be greatly appreciated. or just tell me I'm completely nutziod and this will never work

Offline gadget42

Re: what are your current projects and nerd dreams or crazy ideas
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 03:12:28 AM »
in midwest usa people routinely throw away everything you are looking for.

just remember, the more stuff you have, the more stuff you have to move.
The fluctuation theorem has long been known for a sudden switch of the Hamiltonian of a classical system Z54 . For a quantum system with a Hamiltonian changing from... https://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,25972.msg166580.html#msg166580

Offline Iowa_Nate

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 03:21:07 AM »
funny you say that. I'm acctually using a old throw away laptop right now. I'm not too picky.
I just like learning linux.
i'd rather wait to spend the money on a awesome machine untill i really know what I'm doing. no sense in having all that computing power with out knowing how to use it.

I dunno if i could find the two dream pc's for free but I do agree that just about everything else.

Offline NewUser

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 09:21:46 PM »
In Arizona, east Mesa and  Apache Junctionare towns east of Phoenix favored by the Winter Visitors. In October when everybody starts arriving you see yard sale signs everywhere. Then, when they all start to head back home, those same people have yard sales to get rid of the stuff they bought in October.

All that is a little off topic, but once you get your dream established, Iowa_Nate, you'll develop a nerd dream of the all-in-one system that rips everything, plays anything. Then you can travel to East Mesa / AJ and sell all your excess hardware.  You're welcome!!   ;D

Offline vinceASPECT

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 10:48:45 AM »
Hello F,

Always still try to discover good free tools and software  resources .

!some  hopes

1)  finding tools for  muting the dialogue for movies with still leaving the sound of the soundscore such as music and environment sounds

2) making usefulness from PC  from simple  Ai  planning tool.........some useful free tool such as that.

3) Try  mainstream VR  methods  as to what's available.

and Learning resources such as university(s) where the PC helps  learning via the free World Wide Web.

Thx.