WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: final details for my installation  (Read 1708 times)

Offline windundgeist

final details for my installation
« on: June 22, 2021, 04:41:31 PM »
After a break, I'm back at TinyCore to do the final details of my installation. I have the following problems:

1. Screen resolution does not match. It is out of focus and stretched in width. I have 1280x800 in another distribution. How do I get this done in TC? There are just too many posts in the forum to find and understand the right one. The setting should be permanent.

2. The touchpad is extremely sensitive. I adjusted the speed with the mouse tool from 3 to 2. It helps a little. But it's not really good yet. How can I fix it so that it stays permanent.

3. Update of the system. Is there an exact instruction on how to update the entire system? So the extensions and TC.

4. I don't understand the backup thing clearly yet.

5. Can I deactivate zram to test whether TC runs faster with only swapfile on my notebook? How big can I make the swapfile with the tool? Does 2GB work? Where can I set the swappiness?

I would be happy if you could give me the right links to the solutions, or the solutions directly.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: final details for my installation
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 05:19:17 PM »
Hi windundgeist
... 2. The touchpad is extremely sensitive. I adjusted the speed with the mouse tool from 3 to 2. It helps a little. But it's not really good yet. How can I fix it so that it stays permanent. ...
Try using  xset:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Mouse_acceleration#Using_xset
If you find a setting you like, there should be a  .mouse_config  file that the mouse tool created. Edit that file with
the new settings.

... 5. Can I deactivate zram to test whether TC runs faster with only swapfile on my notebook? ...
Add this boot code:
Code: [Select]
nozswap
... How big can I make the swapfile with the tool? Does 2GB work? ...
2GB should work. If the system needs to make extensive use of swap, it will slow the system down. Swap is no
substitute for sufficient RAM.
... Where can I set the swappiness? ...
I answered that here:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,25034.msg159557.html#msg159557
and reply #3 in that same thread.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 12:58:05 AM »
Screen resolution does not match. It is out of focus and stretched in width. I have 1280x800 in another distribution. How do I get this done in TC? There are just too many posts in the forum to find and understand the right one. The setting should be permanent.

If you are using Xvesa, you can run xsetup.sh

If you are using Xorg-7.7, you can use something analogous to this:
Code: [Select]
$ cat /usr/local/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-screen.conf
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "broadcom"
        Driver         "modesetting"
        Option          "HDMI-1" "u2720q"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "u2720q"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Device        "broadcom"
        Monitor       "u2720q"
        DefaultDepth  24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth          24
                Modes         "1920x1080" "1280x1024"  "1024x768"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

..where you would need to find the equivalents to "broadcom", "modesetting", "HDMI-1" and "u2720q" from /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Offline windundgeist

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 07:27:00 AM »
@Rich and @Juanito

Thanks for all your tips and help! There is a lot to do, I see  ???

I wonder if maybe I should use a different desktop? I chose the first option when installing TC, resp. when booting from the USB stick. Is there a better option, which gives me an installation that is more "user-friendly", so for such inexperienced users like me?

It would be good for me and also for the description that I will be doing on LinuC in the next few days. I want to list TC as a favorite because I love it! But it has to be simple enough for users who have no idea. The aim is that an inexperienced user gets a TC with the help of the LinuC instructions with the most basic things, i.e. firewall, wifi, file manager, modern browser (vivaldi or opera), correct keyboard, mouse settings, language, sound, screen resolution, permanent saving of settings, swapfile with swappiness (with or without zram), update of the entire system. This gives the user a TC with which he can work and a browser with which he can search for further information. I leave the rest to the user. But I already have a few good ideas for improvements, especially for the tools.

I thought LinuC was going to be something small, but it needed more than I thought. Ok, it is worth a try and when it is translated, I will surely find some people who help, here in Buenos Aires or worldwide (translators, testers, supporters, administrators) Some may be thinking what am I doing this for? The point is to offer Windows users a switchover option, even with old computers. There shouldn't be so much money going to Gates and other strange people, because they only do bad things with it! LinuC is also a little "political".

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 08:29:02 AM »
Using a different desktop will not change the underlying tinycore basics.