WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: error15 file not found error  (Read 5743 times)

Offline cc

error15 file not found error
« on: March 18, 2009, 03:06:00 AM »
Hi there,
I did the hd install as described in the faq but on reboot there was a error15   file not found?
Does anybody know what I did wrong?
Thanks,
Chris

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: error15 file not found error
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 08:44:45 AM »
Typically that error would indicate that your grub version is too old.
If you used an existing grub, say from DSL, it is too old.
Upgrade grub. You can grab the grub floppy from our download site and copy over newer grub files.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline tinysore

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 01:08:46 AM »
i get..."Booting 'tinycore'....kernel /boot/bzlmage quiet...Error 15: File not found...Press any key to continue...".  I have GNU GRUB version 0.97.  I have no other OS' on the harddrive.  I'm trying to create a 'jukebox' and thought Tinycore would be useful since the computer is old(er).

What else could be the problem?  Thanks.

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 07:36:49 PM »
Can you verify that file is there via livecd (or other)?

What kind of hdd layout do you have?

Offline tinysore

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 08:12:34 PM »
I wiped the hard drive, formatted to ext3, then put Tinycore in cd-rom, followed instructions, then got above message.  I see post-boot "Tinycore" option. I can edit grub. HDD, only one, is on first IDE channel.

Offline brianshel

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 12:40:44 PM »
I have this problem, as well. Tinycore is on (hd1,0) by itself. Mint Linux works fine and is on (hd0,0) by itself. Windows is on (sd0,0) by itself. I don't do any dual booting. On starting the computer I choose the boot device each time in the BIOS by pressing F8.

So, what am I doing wrong?

Offline alu

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 02:17:55 PM »
maybe try the other way to install mentionned in the info file of the grub extension (as your hd would be a usb stick); it worked for me

Offline Guy

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 02:36:44 PM »
Here is some other explanations on how to install Tiny Core. I hope they help.

Install Tiny Core while connected to the internet. /net-install.html][removed due to policy violation]/net-install.html

Install Tiny Core without being connected to the internet. /install.html][removed due to policy violation]/install.html
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 09:00:56 AM by Guy »
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline brianshel

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 11:56:57 PM »
 :-[
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. The answer has turned out to be very much simpler. I realised that the file "bzImage" (note the upper case I) referred to in the instructions at
http://www.tinycorelinux.com/install.html
in paragraphs 5 and 6, was misread by me as "bzimage" (lower case i).

So grub was looking for "bzimage", and couldn't find it because it was actually called "bzImage". I have accessed Tiny Core's "menu.lst" file from my Mint linux installation and simply corrected the line "kernel /boot/bzimage quiet" to "kernel /boot/bzImage quiet".

Alternatively, no doubt I could have gone through the installation process again, and done it correctly (bzImage - upper case I).

In an effort to excuse myself, perhaps I could comment that I find this a problem with some "sans serif" fonts. i looks too much like I, and they both look like l (lower case L) especially if the rendering is small on the screen or when printed. In my opinion, for what worth, I think it might be better if computer instruction were prepared using a "serif" font.

Anyway, it works ok now. Hope that will be helpful to someone, several someones, perhaps!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 09:56:59 AM by brianshel »