WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: New installation attempt  (Read 7509 times)

Offline vinnie

• HandMace informatic works
New installation attempt
« on: June 20, 2021, 02:56:42 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm back after almost 10 years of absence, I wanted to try tinycore again and I took a usb stick and tried to reinstall it.
I didn't find a detailed procedure so I improvised by combining what I remembered with what I found.
Well, I didn't succeed.
This is the procedure I used.

https://pastebin.com/YM7hX56U
I tried to write it here but I get an "internal server error"

When I try to boot I read this error:
Code: [Select]
SYSLINUX 6.04 EDD 6.04-pre1 Copyrigh (C) 1994-2015 H. Peter Anvin et al
WARNING: No configuration file found

This error seems to say that extlinux can't find the configuration file (extlinux.cfg), but now compared to before I have a pc with uefi bios, doesn't that have something to do with it?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 03:09:06 PM by vinnie »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: New installation attempt
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 04:47:26 PM »
Hi vinnie
... I didn't find a detailed procedure so I improvised by combining what I remembered with what I found. ...
Maybe this will help:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,19364.0.html

... $cp -r ./tiny/cde /media/sdc   #why cde instead tce now? ...
That's where extensions are located when using read only media (CD, DVD, etc.). When installing to writable media
tce  is still used.

Offline vinnie

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 05:39:06 PM »
Ciao Rich :)

In the meantime of waiting for a response I tried some exclusionary experiments and finally succeeded with the procedure listed here:
https://pastebin.com/vC5QqhvG

The only things actually changed are the directory name cde in tce and extlinux in syslinux.
In the end I've always used extlinux (since the partition is ext4) but somehow using a name other than syslinux doesn't make the directory be recognized during boot (I don't know why).
Anyway I'll also look at the link you passed me, maybe I understand more what happened.

In the meantime, I have these problems to solve:

1) Wireless is not working, my network card is this:
tc@box:~$ lspci | grep -i wifi
03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation WiFi Link 5100

2) i would like to change desktop manager with something more comfortable than flwm but i see that xfce is no more, what is a valid alternative?
I wouldn't want gnome, I don't like too heavy stuff, lxde isn't there, the only thing I see is openbox.

3) also the graphics are very slow, i guess there is no acceleration, what should i install?

4) and why if i install a package not added at boot with the command "tce-load -i" I can't unmount the tinycore partition anymore? tinycore doesn't  install everything in ram?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 05:46:13 PM by vinnie »

Offline vinnie

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 06:30:06 PM »
I can't edit the previuous post but wifi question is solved:
WIFI
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,24084.msg151925.html#msg151925
$ tce-load -i firmware-iwlwifi wifi
$ sudo wifi.sh
# read wifi.tcz to autoconnect
A console based tiny wifi scan access point tool.
Select_ from menu or type sudo_ wifi.sh
Creates wifi.db in HOME directory.
Can auto connect to first db entry with use of -a flag, e.g.,
/usr/local/bin/wifi.sh -a 2>&1 > /tmp/wifi.log
Add above to bootlocal or bootsync for quick auto connect.
When mobile, use menu for select list of APs.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 06:56:43 PM »
Hi vinnie
I can't edit the previuous post but wifi question is solved: ...
You only have 30 minutes after you post to make changes.

... 2) i would like to change desktop manager with something more comfortable than flwm but i see that xfce is no more, what is a valid alternative? ...
fluxbox, hackedbox, icewm, jwm, windowmaker, wmfs2, chamferwm.

Offline vinnie

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 07:31:50 PM »
Ok, thanks again rich, I'll look to see if any of those wm's appeal to me, my eyesight isn't great and I really need something that scales well, maybe with dpi like I used to do with xfce.

In the meantime I've solved for the accelerated graphics by simply adding Xorg-7.7-3d and xf86-video-intel to the boot and removing Xfbdev.

I may have also found a small bug in the wifi.sh.
it seems that if you load first wifi.tcz and after firmware-iwlwifi.tcz, wifi.sh seems not to work. But I'm not sure, I'll have to check.

Offline Rich

• Administrator

Offline vinnie

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2021, 09:35:02 PM »
Okay, I had checked about wifi.tcz but you already replied, so okay.

I also (re)discovered why I couldn't unmount the usb stick, "copy2fs.flg" and now I can unmount the stick without problem.

I'm trying openbox again, ok, so far it's not bad, I can choose the font size, but maybe I'll try windowmaker or icewm too.

I noticed that in the repositories there's not even a task manager, qps was nice.

Offline GNUser

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2021, 06:58:39 AM »
Hi, vinnie. Nice to see you here. I'm Bruno who helped you with your AppImage issue.

wifi.tcz works well but I wanted something simpler. If you'd like to try my barebones approach to connecting to wifi, download my "autowifi" script from here:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,24856.msg158369.html#msg158369

Then edit the ssid+password combinations at the top of the script. To get the script's only dependencies:
$ tce-load -wi eiwd iwAfter that, anytime you want to connect to the highest-ranked hotspot within range, just do:

$ sudo /path/to/autowifi

Offline vinceASPECT

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2021, 08:28:46 AM »
Hello, 

Appimage !   yes Sir,  it seems a almost perfect scenario.  An APP within single file that just executes on regular Linux.

Sir, thanks for communicating.

The problem with platforms, software stacks, hardware, software and USERS..........is the "conflicts of interrest" and the oceans of Cans of worms  opened up (on top of your neck)  (anaology)

Let me read your message again..........

Yeah Sir,  WI FI is SO SO complex ...........somehow. 

for a contribution to the forum i re-posted the great advice off another user to just WI FI connect you handheld
android to Tinycore.......it seems straight forward and works.

Sir, here there are two Laptops which work via that method........so they are usable for World Wide Web learning.
(sir, i am always Learning) ......slow so sometimes the computers SPEED can help me.

Sir, i have written a computer program.  Pleased that it works.  It demonstrates INPUT and Output via USER and is infact
an "Computer Operating system" of four lines of code.  Win 64 is also a "Computer operating system" of 52 million lines of code.
(They are still BOTH exactly the very same thing).......

My program demonstrates an extremely  deep understanding of computers.

Anyhow, here i hope to somehow, re-build the win 64 machines.  .......although it's easier using a web computer instance. "SHELL nodes" has win & Lin instances...... at real low price.
That's your new computer(s)right there........ Almost free.  (over DSL)

Sir, true, i still DO find that TCL still functions correctly here on the machines.  This is very useful indeed.

The way it's done is just reloading "extensions" from pen drive each boot......... TCL boots itself from CD disk.

Useful.

thanks for all the forum Input and continued help with the technology...............

C
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 09:15:25 AM by Rich »

Offline vinnie

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2021, 01:29:58 PM »
Hey @GNUser, glad to find you here too.
I tried the package you provided but unfortunately it doesn't work for me.
tc@box:~$ printf "mypass" | sudo_ iwd_passphrase "myssid" >/var/lib/iwd/HomeSweet
Home.psk 2>/dev/null
sh: can't create /var/lib/iwd/HomeSweetHome.psk: Permission denied
tc@box:~$ sudo_ printf "mypass" | sudo_ iwd_passphrase "myssid" >/var/lib/iwd/Home
SweetHome.psk 2>/dev/null
sh: can't create /var/lib/iwd/HomeSweetHome.psk: Permission denied
tc@box:~$ sudo_ su
root@box:/home/tc# printf "mypass" | sudo_ iwd_passphrase "myssid" >/var/lib/iwd/
HomeSweetHome.psk 2>/dev/null
root@box:/home/tc# exit
tc@box:~$ sudo_ iwd -i wlan0 &
tc@box:~$ No Diffie-Hellman support found, WPS will not be available
The following options are missing in the kernel:
        CONFIG_KEY_DH_OPERATIONS
Wireless daemon version 1.6
netconfig: Network configuration is disabled.
Wiphy: 0, Name: phy0
        Permanent Address: 00:16:ea:85:19:f8
        Bands: 2.4 GHz 5 GHz
        Ciphers: CCMP TKIP
        Supported iftypes: ad-hoc station
Wiphy phy0 will only use the default interface

I had to run the first command by force logged in as root (I had to replace with sudo_ the code for the fourm problem)

@vinceASPECT
i didn't understand much but i can say that i've known appimage since it was called "linux portable app" (the games site still works, the counterpart for apps has been closed because there are other official appimage sites, but their outdated repository is still up) and i've always been a fan (i don't like flatpack and snap because they lack in philosophy, if an application is portable i don't want to have to install an infrastructure otherwise also an application inside virtual box is portable).
However it would be nicer if they built their applications starting from a minimal distro like tinycore so that they could have really portable packages, but maybe they would take up too much space.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 01:32:56 PM by vinnie »

Offline vinceASPECT

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2021, 06:46:12 PM »
vinnie,

wow , so many appimages of games. (great)

The other web link said source forge is down,

Thanks

c

Offline vinceASPECT

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2021, 02:28:00 AM »
Sir,

The links don't offer what they are inferring they  do.  (NO software games are downloadable.)

indeed, however, there are App image repo's that DO offer  App iamges.

Thx

C

Offline GNUser

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2021, 05:10:39 AM »
Hi, vinnie. You are right, the instructions in eiwd.tcz.info are incorrect.

The warning about missing CONFIG_KEY_DH_OPERATIONS in the kernel is benign. I get that warning, too, and it doesn't hurt anything.

This works to connect to an open network (let's pretend the SSID is "GreatCafe"):
$ sudo touch /var/lib/iwd/GreatCafe.open
$ sudo iwd -i wlan0 &
$ sudo udhcpc -i wlan0

This works to connect to a password-protected network (let's pretend password is "Secret123" and SSID is "HomeSweetHome"):
$ printf "[Security]\nPassphrase=Secret123\n" | sudo tee /var/lib/iwd/HomeSweetHome.psk
$ sudo iwd -i wlan0 &
$ sudo udhcpc -i wlan0

Sorry about the wrong directions in the .info file. I'll submit corrected instructions.

Offline vinnie

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2021, 03:20:04 PM »
@vinceASPECT
Considering everything you've told me I come to the conclusion that you have problems with sourceforge.
I can get to my second link and I can download the games.
Anyway I mentioned those sites only for historical reason,  you can look for appimages on other sites.

@GNUser
Not a problem, next time I start up tinycore I'll try it!