WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: [Solved] I got tc 11 running but tc 12 fails from same usb stick  (Read 1831 times)

Offline n0m0n

Hello,
I got a "new" old laptop I'd like to run tc desktop on. From some previous fiddling I got version 11 running smoothly. I have been dabbling one and off with tc since version 4. Learn some and forget a bit more each time. 

Now I have tried to upgrade to version 12 by copying files from the iso image. rename dce to tce etc. Pretty much followed the book and compared to my working installation.

For the life of me I can not get tc12 to get passed the initial boot environment.

I notice a message flashing by/ But all my eyes can register is the word: Wrong .... Since I get the minimal boot environment, and the usbstick is not mounted, my best guess is that somethings happens with the changeroot environment. I can not find the word wrong in the dmsg log.

I might add that I use Grub version 2.02. My running installation is on a UEFI enabled setup. I have tried on a MBR/BIOS enabled usbstick with ext2 filesystem on to. Same result. I'm fairly confident with grub configuration. The usbsticks are only 4GB so that size should not be a culprit.

So I guess my questions is:
Any ideas?
Any pointers where to look for the word: Wrong? (guess I should take a peak in core.gz)

Well, first post done. Sometimes it helps just to reach out.
Happy computing :)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 06:32:40 AM by Rich »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: I got tc 11 running but tc 12 fails from same usb stick
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 05:18:42 AM »
Hi n0m0n
Welcome to the forum.

Is it possible the message was:
Code: [Select]
Wrong EFI loader signatureas is shown here:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,25011.0.html

Offline n0m0n

Re: I got tc 11 running but tc 12 fails from same usb stick
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 06:17:52 AM »
Thanks Rich,

That tread did give loads of good information. Thanks for  your persistence in helping out.

The nolacpi flag in the boot line did the trick.

acpi=off did not work, but gave the tc load banner which was not there previously.

Happy computing :)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: [Solved] I got tc 11 running but tc 12 fails from same usb stick
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 06:32:53 AM »
Hi n0m0n
You are welcome. Thank you for reporting how you fixed it.

Offline vinceASPECT

Re: [Solved] I got tc 11 running but tc 12 fails from same usb stick
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 03:48:28 AM »
Hello Forum,

Right, that is great it works. 

It was some incompatibility in the machine settings  BIOS  .....referencing  the booting media environment. 

"acpi"  is maybe power related  .........

There is also a boot code  "Laptop"  ..........or at least there was , on Tinycore versions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't know whether there is a retained setting for it........so the machine then always boots to desktop
upon power  ON  and boot sequence.

You could "note" it on the machine (reminder) . ........paper note.

thx

C