WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: boot process stops  (Read 9288 times)

Offline windundgeist

Re: boot process stops
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2021, 10:17:51 AM »
@Rich

Ok, I will do it in this way. But before I will do the same thing with syslog on antiX, like you told me to do in TC. Just to see, what is going on there. Maybe you saw in my post about jOS that I have strange wlanO up while surfing? Maybe a tracker?

And just to let you know, when I was register here I first tried it with my default name JSM, but I didn't get the confirmation email for long time. Si I tried it with windundgeist and his email adress, where it was working fine. Now I have two :(. And actualy I would like JSM. Maybe you can move all the post from windundgeist to JSM, then I will delet windundgeist?

Offline windundgeist

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2021, 12:01:04 PM »
@Rich

I can choose whatever I like in the boot menu, the boot hangs. Here alle the lines that I see (with quiet), until the hang:

Code: [Select]
Loading /boot/vmlinuz
Loading /boot/core.gz..done
Wrong EFI loader signature
early console in extract kernel
input data 0x0071d0ae
input len ​​0x0049a1d1
output 0x00100000
output len ​​0x009be788
kernel total 0x00ad400
needet size 0x00ad400
Decompressing linux ... parsing elf ... no relocation needed ... done
Booting the kernel

In the BIOS I found a possibility to enable or disable legacy for USB. If enabled I can boot the USB stick, if disabled not. So it has to do with "Wrong EFI loader signature"? In google I find a lot about, but most say to ignore it, others say, it is a problem of the USB stick. And anyway, it is booting...after the waiting time. But maybe is the stick. I don't have another.

But then the waiting time on boot also exist on the HD-installation. So the reason must be another, as there is no USB stick used.

Something is starting the dbus daemon on boot and also trying to run nautilus and a bunch of other stuff - it looks similar to the gnome-session startup of anything in /usr/local/etc/xdg/autostart..

May 23 01:44:41 box daemon.info dbus-daemon[7093]: [session uid=1001 pid=7091] Successfully activated service 'ca.desrt.dconf'
May 23 01:44:52 box user.warn kernel: [   70.260094] FAT-fs (sdb1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.
May 23 01:46:19 box user.err chrome[7147]: [7147:7147:0523/014619.250465:ERROR:browser_dm_token_storage_linux.cc(101)] Error: /etc/machine-id contains 0 characters (32 were expected).
May 23 01:47:51 box daemon.info dbus-daemon[7093]: [session uid=1001 pid=7091] Activating service name='org.freedesktop.Tracker1' requested by ':1.9' (uid=1001 pid=7329 comm="nautilus --new-window ")

Is it doing this, BECAUSE the USB stick has a problem? And how can we stop TC to do this? And why we have this also WITHOUT USB stick, by boot from HD-installation?

Ok, are there other ISO that I could test?

Offline windundgeist

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2021, 12:35:47 PM »
@Rich

Ok, after all this test I have tested it again with my old notebook, that works then and when. And...NO PROBLEM :)

So it is not the USB stick. Also on the old notebook I can see this:

Loading /boot/vmlinuz
Loading /boot/core.gz..done
Wrong EFI loader signature
early console in extract kernel
input data 0x0071d0ae
input len ​​0x0049a1d1
output 0x00100000
output len ​​0x009be788
kernel total 0x00ad400
needet size 0x00ad400
Decompressing linux ... parsing elf ... no relocation needed ... done
Booting the kernel

So it is also not the EFI loader. In the BIOS I found SATA controller. I can set it on AHCI or COMPATIBLE, there is no change. Password are not any set. More BIOS settings that could be usefull I can not find.

Must have to do with my hardware? Maybe I need a other ISO?

Offline windundgeist

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2021, 02:48:32 PM »
@Rich

First information about my CPU:

Architecture:        x86_64
CPU op-mode(s):      32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order:          Little Endian
Address sizes:       36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
CPU(s):              1
On-line CPU(s) list: 0
Thread(s) per core:  1
Core(s) per socket:  1
Socket(s):           1
NUMA node(s):        1
Vendor ID:           GenuineIntel
CPU family:          6
Model:               15
Model name:          Genuine Intel(R) CPU             585  @ 2.16GHz
Stepping:            13
CPU MHz:             2161.302
BogoMIPS:            4322.60
L1d cache:           32K
L1i cache:           32K
L2 cache:            1024K
NUMA node0 CPU(s):   0
Flags:               fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm kaiser dtherm

Then some lines from dmesg:

[    0.000000] Notice: NX (Execute Disable) protection cannot be enabled: non-PAE kernel!

[    3.953367] apm: BIOS not found.

[    3.989212] Non-volatile memory driver v1.3

[    5.235002] intel_powerclamp: No package C-state available
[    5.235111] softdog: initialized. soft_noboot=0 soft_margin=60 sec soft_panic=0 (nowayout=0)
[    5.235192] softdog:              soft_reboot_cmd=<not set> soft_active_on_boot=0
[    5.235274] intel_pstate: CPU model not supported
[    5.235359] ledtrig-cpu: registered to indicate activity on CPUs
[    5.235759] ccp_crypto: Cannot load: there are no available CCPs

[    0.081502] L1TF: Kernel not compiled for PAE. No mitigation for L1TF
[    0.081568] MDS: Vulnerable: Clear CPU buffers attempted, no microcode
[    0.194034] smpboot: CPU0: Genuine Intel(R) CPU 585  @ 2.16GHz (family: 0x6, model: 0xf, stepping: 0xd)

I was reading, that PAE is not enebled in the TC kernel. Could this be the problem?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2021, 09:38:27 PM »
Hi windundgeist
I can choose whatever I like in the boot menu, the boot hangs. Here alle the lines that I see (with quiet), until the hang: ...
Select item #8, then hit tab. Edit the line that contains  quiet.  Change  quiet  to  debug waitusb=5
Hitting enter should continue the boot process. That should make all the messages visible so you can see where it hangs.

... I was reading, that PAE is not enebled in the TC kernel. Could this be the problem?
No.

Offline windundgeist

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2021, 07:43:51 AM »
@Rich

It still hangs in the same place:

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,25011.msg159465.html#msg159465

The command line looked like this:

/boot/vmlinuz
loglevel=3
cde
showapps
lst=xbase.lst
desktop=flwm_topside
initr d=/boot/core.gz

With the last one, I'm not quite sure whether I can see everything or whether a part is "outside" the width of the screen. quiet was not there. I appended debug waitusb=5 there. The result was like in the link above.

Also thought it is not PAE. Why does it hang, but ultimately does it boot correctly? I think TC detects something that irritates it, then it waits and starts a new attempt with different conditions. Actually this should be recognizable in the code of TC. See the lines in the link above, please.

Offline Leee

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2021, 08:49:44 AM »
If there's really a space in that last line, that would likely cause a problem.  "initrd" is all one word.
core 14.0 x86_64

Offline windundgeist

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2021, 10:11:26 AM »
@Leee

This is interesting. I will take a look again, maybe it is just because there it switch to a new line.

EDIT: Yes, it is just the new line, so the command is correct.

@Rich

Can you take a look to dmesg from line

[    4.369346] ata5: PATA max PIO4 cmd 0x1f0 ctl 0x3f6 irq 14

on, please. As there it hangs, but then the boot anyway is working, maybe in the next lines is the solution? Unfortently I don't understand to much about this kind of commands.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 10:16:14 AM by windundgeist »

Offline windundgeist

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2021, 12:02:41 PM »
@Rich

I have done the installation of TC again in my old notebook, where the boot don't hangs. Then I made a dmesg.txt on the old notebook. Then I was looking for differency. In the attachment you find a file about. Maybe it helps.

And just to make it clear...after the hanging the boot works normal and I can install TC normal, without any error. Then TC works normal from frugal installation. Just also hangs on boot, like the USB-version. If I plug in a USB stick with my user-datas on running TC frugal, TC is handeling it normal, no waiting time.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2021, 08:39:37 PM »
Hi windundgeist
I'd like you to disconnect any devices not required for booting the Coreplus USB stick I had you create.
If there's a docking station, disconnect it.
If there's a USB hub, disconnect it.
External keyboards or monitors, disconnect them.
External drives, disconnect them.

Boot just the laptop and the Coreplus USB stick I had you create.
Select item #8, then hit tab. Edit the line that contains  quiet.  Change  quiet  to  waitusb=5 printk.time=1 syslog.
When the system comes up, copy any   messages  files present in  /var/log  as described here:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,24978.msg159361.html#msg159361
I don't need the  dmesg.
You won't be able to write to the USB stick you booted from, so plug in and mount another USB stick or mount the internal
drive to save the files.

Offline windundgeist

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2021, 07:31:14 AM »
@Rich

There was never any other device connectet. It is just the notebook an the USB...an me in front of it :)

Yesterday I installed TC again on my new hardware, as frugal. Looks all fine. Of course still the waiting time on boot. It is just waiting, there are no logs on the screen during this time. Maybe TC just needs a rest there ;)

No, that was not true! There is a problem. The swap tool seams not to do anything. I understand now, that the swap you see with "free" is a zram. I can see it with cat /proc/swaps. Then I tried to create a swapfile with the terminal, using normal methodes. First of all, if I try to do a swapfiel with dd, that is bigger then 512MB, the TC blocks compleatly after the dd command. With 512MB ist works. Then chmod and mkswap work. But swapon /swapfile says that /swapfile is not a valid expression. I don't know, if there is a problem with the installation and the memory handle, because of the hang problem on boot. Or if this is just another problem, that I don't understand right. Just let you know.

So, I will do again the thing with the syslog, then post it here. Shall I do other test wit boot codes? Maybe the one that you don't like so much, to force the PAE? Or any others that I could test?

See you...and take it easy...I have the antiX running on sda1 and so there is no rush :)

Offline windundgeist

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2021, 10:26:22 AM »
@Rich

Ok, I have done it, boot from USB with option 8 and the 2 boot codes ad on the end of the line. In /var/log/ I could find 3 files, but just messages had something inside.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2021, 05:15:18 AM »
Hi windundgeist
... with option 8 and the 2 boot codes ...
Actually, there were 3 boot codes. You left out the  waitusb=5.
I'm guessing the GUI did not come up, right?

Let's try the same thing again, but replace  quiet  with  acpi=off waitusb=5 printk.time=1 syslog
and post the messages again.

Offline windundgeist

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2021, 12:28:02 PM »
@Rich

There was everything ok with the boot. I had a TC working fine. GUI was there.

So will try it again with the new boot codes soon.

Offline windundgeist

hang on, hang on, hang on ... we have a success!
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2021, 01:00:59 PM »
@Rich

We have a success! TC is booting normal with acpi=off

Is this the solution already? What is TC doing without ACPI? And why it was hanging? Would be nice, if you could explain it to me.

I had to think about this video the whole time and about the "hang on, hang on, hang on" :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxOOxLGqVHk