Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Talk

adding new programms to compiletc

<< < (2/6) > >>

^thehatsrule^:
My guess is that you were compiling in memory and ran out of it.

tobiaus:
it would be awesome if just before running out of free memory, linux severed the network connections, kill -9'ed whatever process took up the most memory, and then gave you the option of restoring the internet connections.

it would be an os-wide version of something i've seen happen to browsers in 2.6, if not by design. it's cooler than what i used to see in dsl. when you ran out of memory or cpu was at 100, it would just stop, i couldn't even switch to tty or leave xwin. in that regard, tc is much more stable (for surfing) than dsl 4.4.2 on the same machines i've used both on.

^thehatsrule^:
I recall that there were some reports that enabling some swap would help...

mikshaw:

--- Quote ---it would be awesome if just before running out of free memory, linux severed the network connections, kill -9'ed whatever process took up the most memory, and then gave you the option of restoring the internet connections.
--- End quote ---
That sounds like a horrible solution.  An operating system shouldn't shut down an arbitrary application simply because it has run out of memory.  It should merely wait until running processes have done their business.  If that means you can't do anything until those processes complete, then it is up to you to decide if you want to force certain apps to close...or force a shutdown.  The OS should never make these decisions for you.

mikshaw:
Ok...maybe that sounded a little harsh.  I'm sorry, but I think it would be a bad idea to let the OS decide what to shut down....the user should be given the freedom to choose, even if it means a little inconvenience.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version