WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: netsurf-gtk3.tcz is missing glibc_gconv.tcz as a dependency  (Read 2693 times)

Offline nick65go

From TC12_x86, I installed netsurf-gtk3.tcz and it does not work. It started with a blank page (near empty). Then I tried to connect directly to this site, but the same bad page will come up. Then I compared the netsurf-gtk3.tcz.dep and netsurf.tcz.dep, and I see the only file present in netsurf-tcz.dep but not in netsurf-gtk3.tcz was glibc_gconv.tcz. So I manually did
Code: [Select]
tce-load -i glibc_gconv.tcz and now it works. But it was strange to see that
Code: [Select]
ldd ./netsurf-gtk3 | grep *gconv* did not spotted this missing library.

Offline jazzbiker

Re: netsurf-gtk3.tcz is missing glibc_gconv.tcz as a dependency
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 01:54:39 PM »
Hi, nick65go!

Yes, that was the exactly the reason for me not to add glibc_gconv.tcz to netsurf-gtk3.tcz.dev. But I saw it among netsurf-gtk dependencies. I hope .dep file can be adjusted without resubmitting the whole extension.
I'm sorry I was not attentive enough while extension testing. I noticed glibc_gconv among extensions loaded on bare X and excluded it from the .dep file. Do You start X in some non-standard manner?

Offline nick65go

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 02:09:29 PM »
Hi jazzbiker!
I start X.org normally, nothing special. What can be "special" in year 2021 to all my TC##_{x86, x86_64} is that flwm is my windows manager. I have /home/tc/.wmx with many pre-defined menu-categories (browsers, audio/video, compressors, etc) linked at start-up from ~/.X.d scripts, that is all. I do not use locales /languages settings. All is generic.
And GTK 2 or 3 are loaded only by apps (gnumeric, firefox, etc), not by me. I am stubborn on FLTK, GTK1 apps, manually added from older TC versions.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 02:26:19 PM by nick65go »

Offline jazzbiker

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 02:21:05 PM »
Hi, nick65go!

I caught why I always have glibc_gconv - it is mylocale dependency. But this can not explain, why ldd didn't shows it. I can not say nothing.

@Rich

Please, can You correct netsurf-gtk3.tcz.dep with adding glibc_gconv.tcz? Another trouble is, that .dep file correction changes did not change .tcz.md5.txt. We discussed this issue earlier. So I am to re-subscribe with some non-substantial changes in order to trigger md5 sum deviation?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 05:05:40 PM »
Hi jazzbiker
netsurf-gtk3.tcz.dep updated.

... Another trouble is, that .dep file correction changes did not change .tcz.md5.txt. ...
Luckily dependency file updates are not nearly as common as extension updates. :)
You can use the  Apps  utility to update the  .dep  files.

Offline jazzbiker

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 11:33:52 PM »
Hi, Rich!

Thank You very much!

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 11:40:26 PM »
gconv is not visible in ldd because it's not a library, it's the character set conversion tables for libc.so.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline jazzbiker

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 12:03:21 AM »
Hi, curaga!

Thank You for explanation! Does it means that for this extension (glibc_gconv) only watching over the error messages after starting some binary from CLI can help determine the dependency fact?

Offline nick65go

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 01:59:42 AM »
Does it means that for this extension (glibc_gconv) only watching over the error messages after starting some binary from CLI can help determine the dependency fact?
Hm, maybe sometimes, but not for netsurf. Because this CLI is first thing I do (to start the appl in aterm) to see the warning/error messages.
PS: I hit these problems with root.gz (delayed loading libraries for files from /lib) as curaga explained in the past to me.It becomes harder to "debug" when LDD shows nothing mising (upx compressed ELF), or delay loaded libs. What helped me now and in the past was to search/see in hex-editor for strings (like *.so*, /lib/* etc). or with 7zip (from win10) for ELF structure (data, header, code, text). Not very scientific, but still someting versus nothing.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 02:14:06 AM by nick65go »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 08:11:04 AM »
Yes, it only shows up as error messages usually. If you search the forum for gconv you can find some samples.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.