WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Installation on hard drive partition  (Read 1908 times)

Offline windundgeist

Installation on hard drive partition
« on: May 01, 2021, 11:47:06 AM »
Hi

I am brand new here and have already read a lot ... unfortunately I am not always sure that I have understood it ;-)

And unfortunately I don't have access to the wiki :-(

I have a 1GB RAM notebook and I was working with Lubuntu. But the new version is definitely too heavy for 1GB. So I'm looking for a new solution. I have already installed Q4OS (version 3) on sda3. Basically this is a good solution, but unfortunately version 4 is coming soon and the minimum requirement is 1GB of RAM again. So I thought I'll try Tiny Core, then I'll have a solution for a long time :-)

I downloaded CorePlus ISO and wrote it to a USB using the MultiWriter tool. The USB boots up and I choose the first option. I create a wifi connection and make sure that sda1 is not mounted, because I want to install Tiny Core there.

I understand that frugal means installing only two files, compressed. These are then probably unpacked during boot and loaded into the RAM? Ok, I only have 1GB of ram and want to load as little as possible into the ram. What about the possibility of a non-frugal installation? And the difference between onboot and ondemand is also not very clear to me. Does onboot mean that the application is also loaded into Ram, completely? And not with ondemand? Then the second would be better for me?

Ok, now I start the tc-installer and follow the instructions here:

http://www.tinycorelinux.net/install.html

Frugal has not yet worked, error messages appear when booting. I will look at it again and then post it here. Something with mkcookie and then a second one.

In the installer I choose "Download from internet", 64 bit. My processor is 64 bit, but it only runs in 32 bit mode. Should I choose 32 bit?

Then I tried the "USB-HDD" option to do a non-frugal installation on the sda1. But I cannot use an existing partition with this option, only "whole disk" is possible. Why?

So I chose Frugal and installed it on sda1, with formatting (ext4), wrote Grub and also marked the partition as active. I didn't use any boot codes. I don't see the CorePlus options.

Tiny Core options I have "Install ext .." from "/mnt/sdb/cde", ie the USB. I hope so!

The installation is carried out without errors. When booting, the error messages mentioned above appear.

Long story. So the most important question is, can I install Tiny Core on sda1 like another distribution, i.e. unpacked and the applications also like with another distribution? If so, how do I do it so that I can select the sda1 and not just the whole disk for the installation? I want an installation with swapfile and permanently. I think I have to be able to edit at least one file, with Lubuntu it's fstab. That doesn't work if the installation is in two compressed files, no?

The second point is the difference between onboot and ondemand, which I don't quite understand.

/home can be on the same partition, so sda1, as I have very few datas on HD.

I hope you can help me a little further :-)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 11:52:02 AM by windundgeist »

Offline windundgeist

Re: Installation on hard drive partition
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 05:19:58 PM »
I did it!  :)

Tiny Core is running and I'm already writing to you from the Chromium Browser. The speed is impressive, the graphic surface is not yet. The keyboard is not yet optimal either, but it works.

What was the problem?

I had chosen the option in the installer to download the file and selected 64 bit there. After 3 unsuccessful attempts, I selected the 32 bit version, but got an error message regarding the checksum. That made me think that maybe the 64 bit version is not good either. So I just chose the version from the USB stick without downloading it. And the installation worked perfectly.

Please check whether there is a problem with the downloaded files. Or where else the problem could be.

Now I'm pretty happy! I hope I'll manage the rest too, I hope.

Oh ... and I now understand that it is always a compressed file installation. The directory tde is responsible for the rest, of course. Onboot and on demand are also clear to me now. And the USB / HDD option seems to be more of a boot device creator than an installation option on the permanent hard disk.

Have a nice Sunday  :)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 05:23:12 PM by windundgeist »