WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: buster64 X problem  (Read 3066 times)

Offline amuctued

buster64 X problem
« on: May 27, 2021, 12:25:21 PM »
Buster64 with only xorg-all loaded. sudo startx fails: "Cannot run in framebuffer mode. Please specify busIDs for all framebuffer devices"

stretch64 works no problem.

The reason I'm now switching to buster64 is my other machine's wacom works in it. If I load xserver-xorg-input-wacom in stretch64 and try sudo startx it freezes

Offline amuctued

Re: buster64 X problem
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 11:34:21 AM »
Something to do with the graphics driver as changing it to vesa works. Stretch64 works no problem.

Also sce-import doesn't find openvpn. Which is in stretch64.

Weird
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 11:46:56 AM by amuctued »

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 05:39:36 PM »
Hi amuctued.  In dCore-buster64 you only have xorg-all installed?  You will also need a window manager loaded and that window manager listed in /etc/sysconfig/desktop.  Thanks. 

Also, dCore-buster64 for me finds openvpn with sce-import.  Using "sce-import openvpn" produces the following results, and when choice 1 is imported, imports 33 packages total:

Code: [Select]
Select package for 'openvpn'.

1. openvpn
         2. openvpn-auth-ldap
         3. openvpn-auth-radius
         4. openvpn-systemd-resolved

Enter selection ( 1 - 4 ) or (q)uit:

« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 05:50:31 PM by Jason W »

Offline amuctued

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 06:13:24 PM »
I've also tried xfce: same story. But I found out bare buster64 with xorg-all and sudo startx is just enough to find out whether X will work out of the box on a particular machine.

I have a usb with dcore buster64 which I test on different machines. In buster64 X works on one and doesn't on another where in stretch64 it did. Putting xorg.conf to use vesa makes X work. Tells me I have to troubleshoot video driver

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 06:23:03 PM »
Ok, I see.  Thanks for your testing and input.

Offline amuctued

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2021, 11:16:43 PM »
Regarding the missing openvpn it wasn't just openvpn. My debian_buster_main_amd64_Packages and debian_buster_security_amd64_Packages files somehow got empty which caused sce-import to not find most stuff. I guess I ctrl+c'ed or ctrl+ald+del'ed out of something.

dCore is similar to alpine in this. Every time I run sce-import dCore tries to download index files to make sure I get the latest. The difference is however dCore mounts usb as read-write where alpine mounts read-only. When alpine auto fetches the indexes it stores them to usb also. My guess is alpine first fetches those to ram and then if successful transfers to disk. Where dCore stores them directly to disk? I guess I'm trying to explain why I've never experienced corrupted files in alpine. I can be wrong

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2021, 09:46:18 AM »
The index files are stored in /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/import/debinx/.  And zsync is used to update them so a whole new file is not downloaded as the main one is usually about 10 or 15 MB.   I created zero length files of the index files on my setup as a test, and on sce-import those files are fetched again and all works as expected. 

Offline amuctued

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2021, 05:59:09 PM »
I deleted the whole debinx directory before I could import openvpn again. Maybe it was another file in that dir.

Anyway the initial X problem got resolved by loading the graphics package. Turns out it contains graphics kernel modules.

I also tried loading graphics and input-tablet packages in stretch64 but X still freezes with the loaded xserver-xorg-input-wacom driver. Nothing is perfect I guess