WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Remmina plug-in packages for RDP, VNC, etc. missing in TinyCore apps list?  (Read 7355 times)

Offline cparke

Remmina is a remote desktop client application.  For whatever reason, the four main remote connection protocols that it supports (RDP, VNC, SSH, and NX) are distributed as standalone packages.  TinyCore, however, seems to just have the base Remmina application available to install without any of the Remmina plugins needed to use it to launch a remote session.  This makes the application, well, useless on TinyCore.

I suppose this means I need to create the missing TC extensions myself using the source from the Remmina project (Flatpak or Snap)?  How do I access actual source that TC used to build the extension? Or what is recommended to get this application working?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Hi cparke
The source package and build notes can be found here:
http://tinycorelinux.net/12.x/x86_64/tcz/src/remmina/

... For whatever reason, the four main remote connection protocols that it supports (RDP, VNC, SSH, and NX) are distributed as standalone packages. ...
Is it possible you need to install  openssh.tcz?

The list file shows these plugins included:
Code: [Select]
/usr/local/lib/remmina/plugins/remmina-plugin-exec.so
/usr/local/lib/remmina/plugins/remmina-plugin-st.so
/usr/local/lib/remmina/plugins/remmina-plugin-vnc.so
/usr/local/lib/remmina/plugins/remmina-plugin-xdmcp.so
Found here:
http://tinycorelinux.net/12.x/x86_64/tcz/remmina.tcz.list

Offline cparke

Hi Rich,

Seems you're right!  The plugins are there.

However, seems they're not loading due to missing dependencies that I don't think are available in any of the TC extensions. 

Here's the error messages we get at the console when starting up Remmina:
Failed to load plugin: /usr/local/lib/remmina/plugins/remmina-plugin-vnc.so.
Error: libvncclient.so.0.0.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Failed to load plugin: /usr/local/lib/remmina/plugins/remmina-plugin-rdp.so.
Error: libfreerdp-core.so.1.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So how do we find out what extension, if any has libvncclient.so.0.0.0 and libfreerdp-core.so.1.1

I checked and libvncserver.tcz and freerdp2.tcz don't have files.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Hi cparke
Are you running x86 (32 bit) by any chance? Also, are you running TC 12.x?

Online Juanito

• Administrator
updated remmina posted to tinycore-12.x x86 repo

Offline cparke

Hi Rich and Juanito,

Yes, I am running TC 12.x x86 (32 bit).

I made a fresh re-install to HD and tried again today after you said that you updated the repo, but unfortunately there is no change (same errors still appear) when running Remmina.  How can that be?

Online Juanito

• Administrator
Some of the mirrors might not have updated yet?

Offline cparke

I guess so.   I got your update to version 1.4.13 now by connecting to http://repo.tinycorelinux.net/ instead (which I presume is the homebase).

There's still a few problems with running Remmina, however.
  • Dependency is missing on json-glib.tcz.  I had to install it manually after Remmina to get rid of the startup error for missing libjson-glib-1.0.so.0.
  • You only provided the plugin for VNC connections with the update.  In particular, I was planning to use RDP connections.  Previously, VNC, RDP, NX, and SSH connection plugins were all included in the extension.
  • Remmina crashes when attempting to make a VNC connection! (see below)
(org.remmina.Remmina:4843): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 15:46:56.215: gtk_toggle_tool_button_set_active: assertion 'GTK_IS_TOGGLE_TOOL_BUTTON (button)' failed

(org.remmina.Remmina:4843): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 15:46:56.215: gtk_widget_set_sensitive: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(org.remmina.Remmina:4843): Gdk-WARNING **: 15:46:56.586: The program 'org.remmina.Remmina' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)'.
  (Details: serial 39147 error_code 2 request_code 139 (RENDER) minor_code 34)
  (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
   that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
   To debug your program, run it with the GDK_SYNCHRONIZE environment
   variable to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
   backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() func.

Appreciate all the updates and fixes you've been making to help get this working!

Offline curaga

• Administrator
That particular error message is a known incompatibility with some gtk themes and TinyX. Use Xorg as a workaround.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline cparke

These are the console error messages that I'm seeing at the time of the crash upon attempting a connection.  Remmina is not working.  How can I make Remmina use Xorg instead?

Online Juanito

• Administrator
Use Xorg-7.7 instead of Xvesa

Offline cparke

Is there a boot command line parameter, TC extension, or environment variable that I need to set to accomplish this?  Would like to know how to do it.

Your replies so far also do not address the missing JSON dependency and missing RDP protocol.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Hi cparke
Click on the  Exit  icon and select  Exit to Prompt.  Then enter:
tce-load -iw Xorg-7.7
startx

Offline cparke

Ok, I found the Wiki page on this and did that along with graphics-5.10.3-tinycore.tcz (not necessary anymore?) and finally got Remmina to start up and connect using VNC!

So that's pretty good progress, but am I still going to have to rebuild Remmina myself to get RDP connections?

Online Juanito

• Administrator
I won’t be able to access the server for the next couple of days - in the meantime the build notes are at repo.tinycorelinux.net/12.x/x86/tcz/src/remmina