WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Dell Inspiron 14 3452 with eMMC  (Read 2561 times)

Offline SSC

Dell Inspiron 14 3452 with eMMC
« on: April 18, 2021, 09:58:07 AM »
I have an old Dell Inspiron 14 3452 with an eMMC instead of a typical hard drive where Windows has completely crashed on it. I have tried booting other distros of Linux onto the computer with no success and I'm not sure why that is. I think that there may be an advantage to Tiny Core Plus because of the size.

When I try to boot Tiny Core Plus with the X/GUI+Wifi Extension option (there isn't an Ethernet port on the computer), I get this message:

Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... No relocation needed... done.  Booting the kernel.

It sits like this indefinitely. What do I do to fix this error? Thanks. 

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Dell Inspiron 14 3452 with eMMC
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 11:03:53 PM »
The kernel failed to boot. Adding the "debug" option (press tab on one of the entries, type it in, press enter) may give some more output.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline SSC

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 05:12:04 PM »
Thank you for replying. After typing in the debug command on the X/GUI only option, the final displayed message reads

input: Power Button as /devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXPWRBN:00/input/input3
ACPI: Power Button [PWRF]

Not sure if that is helpful. The only other thing I see that may be an issue is the file layout driver, which reads as "NFSv4 File Layout Driver". I think I read somewhere that any boot media for this laptop model needs to be GPT with a FAT32 file system. Not sure if that's an issue or not.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 11:18:47 PM »
You'd be looking for messages about the initrd/initramfs, why it failed to load. Shift-pageup may let you scroll the messages. But it seems all Linux has trouble on that laptop for you, maybe the BIOS is really buggy or something.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline SSC

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 04:38:16 PM »
I think I figured something out. I was able to run some diagnostic tests with a direct connection and it essentially told me that there was a hard drive error, which essentially means the eMMC is probably burned out. I could try to jerry rig an actual hard drive in for fun though.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 04:54:25 PM »
Hi SSC
... I could try to jerry rig an actual hard drive in for fun though.
I think you might be disappointed. I Googled that model last week. According to some owners of that model, there
is an open space to house a hard drive, but no cabling, connector, or electronics on the motherboard to support it.
I also read the eMMC is not something you can unplug and replace, it's soldered in.