WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: [Solved] TC3.8_4 Real Time Upgrade  (Read 55889 times)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: TC3.8_4 Real Time Upgrade
« Reply #330 on: October 05, 2021, 05:57:03 PM »
Hi MTCAT
OK, I see the problem.

First expand the  Extended  partition (sda2) to the maximum size (about 118 GBytes or so).
Then expand sda5 to whatever size you want.

Offline MTCAT

« Reply #331 on: October 09, 2021, 01:48:41 PM »
Hi Rich,

Sorry to be such a pain, I was able to resize sda2 to ~ 118 GBytes but sda5 is still "locked in" at just over 6 GBytes (6146 MBytes), I can't seem to change that still, minimum size, 6146 MBytes, maximum size, 6146 MBytes, only the space preceding and following on sda5 is adjustable right now with gparted, size of sda5 seems fixed at 6146 MBytes ?, sorry for the hassle.

David

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #332 on: October 09, 2021, 05:03:57 PM »
Hi MTCAT
If you reboot, does it work then?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #333 on: October 09, 2021, 05:53:09 PM »
Hi MTCAT
... I was able to resize sda2 to ~ 118 GBytes but sda5 is still "locked in" at just over 6 GBytes ...
After you to told it to resize, did you remember to click the green checkmark in the toolbar? The resize operation won't
take place until you click the green checkmark.

Offline MTCAT

« Reply #334 on: October 12, 2021, 05:56:07 PM »
Hi Rich,

Yeah, I did click the green checkmark to apply the operation (I noticed that were "pending" operations otherwise), so it did indeed resize sda2, sda2 is now a little over 118 GBytes but sda5 is still just 6 GBytes?, I attached the output of "fdisk -l" here, showing sda2 nice and big, but sda5 still the same size....

I guess if worst comes to worst, I could just reformat the entire CF card ? Would be getting rid of Lubuntu, would only possibly be using it for the 1000 MBit ethernet anyway, maybe could get that working in TinyCore too.

Thanks,

David

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #335 on: October 12, 2021, 06:15:25 PM »
Hi MTCAT
So with  sda5  not mounted, you can't change the value of the  New size  field in the  Resize  popup?

Offline MTCAT

« Reply #336 on: October 13, 2021, 05:27:51 PM »
Hi Rich, with sda5 not mounted, I right click on sda5, then click on resize/move, and then a new window pops up with four entries, top one is "Free space preceding (MiB)", next one below is "New Size (MiB)" and next one below is "Free Space following (MiB)" and bottom one is "Align to". Only problem is, the "New Size" entry is greyed out, so I can't change it, only the "free space preceding" and "free space following" and "align to" entries are changeable, so no matter what I do here sda5 seems fixed at 6146 MB, also, in the top of the window (after right clicking on sda5 and then clicking on resize/move), in that window, in the top it reports "Minimum size 6146 (Mib)" and Maximum size 6146 (MiB)".

If I cloned my boot pen drive onto the CF-card (using dd like you taught me) and then used gparted to expand the partition to the full 128 GBytes, I guess I could boot off the CF-card then and just work that way ? Of course losing Lubuntu, and some of the scripts in /opt would need to change (to auto mount sda5, and also the symbolic link for home/tc/data -> /mnt/sda5/data would need to be removed.)

Thanks,

David

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #337 on: October 13, 2021, 07:02:58 PM »
Hi MTCAT
See if running a file system repair on the unmounted device helps:
Code: [Select]
sudo e2fsck -fp /dev/sda1
sudo e2fsck -fp /dev/sda2
sudo e2fsck -fp /dev/sda5

Offline MTCAT

« Reply #338 on: October 14, 2021, 06:04:45 PM »
Hi Rich,

I unmounted sda5 and then tried the "sudo e2fsck -fp /dev/sda1" command and I got a warning message that sda1 is mounted, it gave me the option to quit, so I did.

Then I tried the command on sda2 I got an interesting message back, "Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in a short read while trying to open /dev/sda2, could this be a zero length partition ?"

And then trying the command on sda5, I got;
"/dev/sda5: 196094/393984 files (0.1 % non-contiguous), 1078723/1572864 blocks"

I then tried "sudo gparted /dev/sda" again but still see the same behaviour, min/max size of sda5 6146 MB.

Weird thing too, I simply typed "mount" to see if sda1 shows up but I couldn't see it anywhere, all I saw was "/dev/sdb1" and a bunch of "/dev/loopxxx" where "xxx" runs from 0 to 122.

Thanks,

David

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #339 on: October 14, 2021, 08:38:50 PM »
Hi MTCAT
I unmounted sda5 and then tried the "sudo e2fsck -fp /dev/sda1" command and I got a warning message that sda1 is mounted, it gave me the option to quit, so I did. ...
When I said  "unmounted device"  that meant all partitions on the device.

... Then I tried the command on sda2 ...
Forget about sda2. Turns out you can't run  e2fsck  on an extended partition.

... I simply typed "mount" to see if sda1 shows up but I couldn't see it anywhere ...
Try this to remove the clutter:
mount | grep -v loop
Or just run:
sudo umount /dev/sda1
Then run:
sudo e2fsck -fp /dev/sda1
sudo e2fsck -fp /dev/sda5

Offline MTCAT

« Reply #340 on: October 15, 2021, 05:03:01 AM »
Hi Rich,

Sorry for all this hassle, I still can't unmount sda1, typing "sudo umount /dev/sda1" I get an error "can't unmount sda1: Invalid argument", I also tried in gparted, by right clicking on sda1, and then selecting "Swap off" (sda1 shows up in gparted with a file-system of type "linux-swap") and gparted wouldn't let me do that either, I get an error "Could not deactivate swap", under the flags column in gparted, it also says "boot" for sda1, so I guess sda1 is the boot sector for Lubuntu ?, the "mount | grep -v loop" didn't show me an sda1 but sdb1 was there of course.

Thanks,

David

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #341 on: October 15, 2021, 05:28:43 AM »
Hi MTCAT
Boot with  sda  not plugged in so Lubuntu can not use the swap partition on it. Then plug it in. Then run  fdisk -l  to
confirm what designation (sda, sdb, etc.) your device was assigned.  Then make sure Lubuntu did not auto mount
the partitions on it.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 05:31:28 AM by Rich »

Offline MTCAT

« Reply #342 on: October 15, 2021, 03:41:25 PM »
Hi Rich,

Thanks for the help, I did as instructed but when I run "fdisk -l" all I see is the pen drive, which is now labeled "sda1". I tried two different timings with respect to re-insertion of the CF-card but got the same result, once I didn't re-insert the CF-card until TC was fully booted and FLWM was running, and the second time, I re-inserted the CF-card at the point of the 10 second time out during boot, but same result either way, can only see the pen drive with "fdisk -l".

Thanks,

David

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #343 on: October 15, 2021, 05:00:56 PM »
Hi MTCAT
... can only see the pen drive with "fdisk -l".
If you can only see the partitions with  fdisk , that means they are not mounted. That's what you want.
Yes, your device may have been assigned a different designation, that's OK.
Run the  e2fsck  command on partition 1 then 5.

Offline MTCAT

« Reply #344 on: October 15, 2021, 06:02:55 PM »
Hi Rich,

Sorry for the confusion, I didn't explain well enough, the only partition I can see when running "fdisk -l" is the pen drive, which gets designated sda1 when the CF card is not plugged in at boot time. I can't see the CF card at all unless it's plugged in at power up it seems ?

Thanks,

David