WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: [Solved] TC3.8_4 Real Time Upgrade  (Read 55871 times)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: TC3.8_4 Real Time Upgrade
« Reply #180 on: May 25, 2021, 02:35:25 PM »
Hi MTCAT
I think these messages are printed when events are completed, not started:
Code: [Select]
May 25 20:01:05 (none) local2.notice sudo:       tc : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/mnt/sdb1/tce/optional ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/local/bin/touch /etc/sysconfig/newmodules
May 25 20:01:38 (none) user.info kernel: EXT4-fs (sda5): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode
That would suggest that either sda5 takes a while to mount, or something else that does not generate a kernel event
is running between the above listed events.

The empty file /etc/sysconfig/newmodules is a flag that tce-load sets when booting to signal it has loaded an extension
containing kernel modules.

When tce-setup sees that flag, it runs  depmod  and  udevadm trigger  which might be responsible for at least some of
that time.

Or the delay might be caused by something else. ::)

Offline MTCAT

« Reply #181 on: May 28, 2021, 06:36:54 AM »
Hi Rich,

One last kick at the can regarding this extra delay I'm seeing with the "pre-fab" RT kernel, if I wanted to try to "turn-off" the ethernet, would it be enough to comment out the call to eth0.sh in bootlocal.sh ?

I'm wondering if the delay has anything to do with the ethernet as in the "DIY" RT build you might recall I saw quite a long delay with this SIOCSIADDR or whatever thing, at least in that case, I saw an error echoed to screen, with the "pre-fab" RT build I'm not seeing that, but I just wonder if there's something quirky going on with the ethernet that's causing a delay.

Also, I did have strange behavior previously with the ethernet on the "pre-fab" RT build when downloading packages, I had to have another terminal open constantly pinging to keep the downloading of packages going, else it would stall, so maybe there's issues still with the ethernet.

Thought I would try just turning it off if possible, and see if it boots a lot faster, like 60 seconds faster !

The only other odd thing is the ACPI message I get at shutdown regarding the CF-Card entering sleep state S5.

Thanks,

David

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #182 on: May 28, 2021, 07:33:03 AM »
Hi MTCAT
...  if I wanted to try to "turn-off" the ethernet, would it be enough to comment out the call to eth0.sh in bootlocal.sh ? ...
Yes.

Also, I did have strange behavior previously with the ethernet on the "pre-fab" RT build when downloading packages, I had to have another terminal open constantly pinging to keep the downloading of packages going, else it would stall, so maybe there's issues still with the ethernet.
Didn't I already show you this:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,24804.msg157651.html#msg157651

Offline MTCAT

« Reply #183 on: May 28, 2021, 07:42:37 AM »
Hi Rich,

No difference in boot speed when commenting out call to eth0.sh in bootlocal.sh, for sure you did show me the keepalive thing, I just wasn't sure if that's a "band-aid" masking a deeper issue ?

I guess I'll proceed with getting chrony working (and tinierclock) so we can finally try to get the acquisition program going, I'm just hoping that there isn't something bad going on deeper down that will cause me to go back to square one so to speak (rebuild kernel).

Right now, it's about 90 seconds to boot up, I suppose that's not too bad, just driving me nuts though wondering what it's doing after it loads all the extensions !m and then sits there for what seems to be almost 60 seconds.

Thanks,

David

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #184 on: May 28, 2021, 08:04:50 AM »
Hi MTCAT
... Right now, it's about 90 seconds to boot up, I suppose that's not too bad, just driving me nuts though wondering what it's doing after it loads all the extensions ...
What's in your  tce/onboot.lst  file?
What's in your  /opt/bootlocal.sh  file?
What's in your  /opt/bootsync.sh  file?
What's in your  /opt/.filetool.lst  file?

... and then sits there for what seems to be almost 60 seconds.
So how long is it really?

Offline MTCAT

« Reply #185 on: May 28, 2021, 09:18:54 AM »
Hi Rich,

Attached the files here.

It takes about 46 seconds to load the extensions, and then the display sits there with Driver loaded: 24dsi on the screen for 67 seconds doing I'm not sure what ?

From power on, to FLWM being up, the whole boot process takes about 2 minutes, 35 seconds. Could take maybe 20 seconds off that as I'm doing a memory check on power up which also takes a bit of time, just need to turn that off in BIOS, but still would be looking at 2 minutes....

Thanks,

David

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #186 on: May 28, 2021, 11:08:39 AM »
Hi MTCAT
... It takes about 46 seconds to load the extensions, ...
Clean up ypur onboot.lst file. First, remove these:
binutils.tcz
base-dev.tcz
bison.tcz
diffutils.tcz
file.tcz
findutils.tcz
flex.tcz
gawk.tcz
gcc.tcz
gperf.tcz
grep.tcz
m4.tcz
make.tcz
patch.tcz
pkg-config.tcz
sed.tcz
This is what  compiletc.tcz  loads. You are not currently compiling anything. If you don't have  compiletc.tcz  in your
tce/optional  directory, download it like this:
tce-load -w compiletc.tczIf you need to compile something in the future, you can add  compiletc.tcz  back to your  onboot.lst  file or load it manually:
tce-load -i compiletc.tcz
You can also remove the following:
syslinux.tcz         # Used to install syslinux boot loader on disk drives.
ncursesw-dev.tcz     # dev files are only needed when compiling.
bc-1.06.94.tcz      # I had you install that when you were compiling a kernel.
elfutils-dev.tcz     # dev files are only needed when compiling.
linux-headers-2.6.33.3-tinycore.tcz     # Only used when compiling.
squashfs-tools-4.x.tcz     # Only needed if you are packing/unpacking extensions.

It's possible you don't need to load  perl5.tcz  either.

... and then the display sits there with Driver loaded: 24dsi on the screen for 67 seconds doing I'm not sure what ? ...
That message came from the  start24dsi  script. It's the last message it echos right before it exits.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 07:51:35 AM by Rich »

Offline MTCAT

« Reply #187 on: June 04, 2021, 07:43:00 AM »
Hi Rich,

I got chrony and gpsd working automatically (on boot-up) with the real time kernel, I had to make a new config file for chrony though, to make it work with GPS only (no online servers), I made a little script file "copychrony.sh" (/mnt/sdb1/opt) and put a command in bootlocal.sh (cp /home/tc/newchrony.conf /usr/local/etc/chrony/chrony.conf) and then put a file in /home/tc/.X.d called "start_time_sync" which contains the commands to start chrony and gpsd, it seems to work ! ! I think there are more tweaks that I could do to chrony, maybe to get it to work faster, but at least it's working on it's own, so that's exciting.

So, we're finally at the stage to start thinking about getting the data acquisition program, not sure what would be the place to start on that, just try to compile it and see what happens ?

Thanks,

David

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #188 on: June 04, 2021, 07:50:59 AM »
Hi MTCAT
Does the currently compiled data acquisition program run as is?
Did the data acquisition program come with a  Make  file or a build script?

Offline MTCAT

« Reply #189 on: June 04, 2021, 08:11:48 AM »
Hi Rich,

I have two working instruments with the acquisition program on it, with that, there's an icon on the Slackware desktop called "MT Logger" and I just right click on that and hit "Execute" and up-starts the acquisition program.

I found a bunch of different b/u copies of the acquisition program, here's a Makefile from one of those b/u directories.

Thanks,

David

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #190 on: June 04, 2021, 08:41:06 AM »
Hi MTCAT
It looks like the following are required to build it:
compiletc.tcz
squashfs-tools-4.x.tcz
gtk2-dev.tcz
fftw-dev.tcz

and possibly:
libglade-dev.tcz

You might also want to change this in the  Make  file:
@cp $(PROJECTNAME) ~/binTo:
@cp $(PROJECTNAME) ~/.local/bin

Offline MTCAT

« Reply #191 on: June 04, 2021, 09:13:33 AM »
Hi Rich,

Thanks a lot, I'll download those extra extensions and give "sudo ./make all" a try, glad to see there's a glade library for flwm !

Thanks,

David

Offline MTCAT

« Reply #192 on: June 04, 2021, 11:34:40 AM »
Hi Rich,

Well, after downloading the extra packages, and changing the copy path in the Makefile, the mt_logger program seems to have compiled just fine !, but the mt_adc program had a problem, it couldn't find two header files, "24dsi_utils.h" and "24dsi_dsl.h", I did a "find / -name" and found that both of these files are in "/home/tc/24dsi.linux.4.11.91.32.0/24dsi/include", should I just maybe copy them right into the same directory as the Makefile(s) ?

Also, for both mt_logger and mt_adc  I had to run "sudo make all", for some reason "sudo ./make all" didn't work.

Thanks,

David

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #193 on: June 04, 2021, 12:41:18 PM »
Hi MTCAT
In the make file, after the line that begins with  CFLAGS= , try adding this line:
CFLAGS+= -I/home/tc/24dsi.linux.4.11.91.32.0/24dsi/include

Offline MTCAT

« Reply #194 on: June 04, 2021, 12:59:58 PM »
Hi Rich,

Thank you so much, I think that worked to find those header files, only now the make script for mt_adc can't find "24dsi_utils.a", "24dsi_dsl.a" and "gsc_utils.a", these guys are all located in /home/tc/24dsi.linux.4.11.91.32.0/24dsi/lib", can I add another CFLAGS line ?, like CFLAGS++= -I/home/24dsi.linux.4.11.91.32.0/24dsi/lib ?

Thanks,

David