WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Looks like libgtk-3 needs a rebuild in CorePlus 12.0 x86  (Read 3671 times)

Offline cparke

Looks like libgtk-3 needs a rebuild in CorePlus 12.0 x86
« on: April 13, 2021, 01:49:24 PM »
After booting and installing just 'reminna', upon trying to run the application, I get the runtime link error:

remmina: symbol lookup error: /usr/local/lib/libgtk-3.so.0: undefined symbol: atk_plug_set_child

Bummer - this application was my main reason for trying out TinyCore.

Also, how does one obtain source code through your integrated package manager so they can fix problems like this upon discovery?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: Looks like libgtk-3 needs a rebuild in CorePlus 12.0 x86
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 02:04:39 PM »
Hi cparke
Welcome to the forum.

Is  atk.tcz  installed?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 02:07:22 PM by Rich »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 02:31:15 PM »
Hi cparke
Are you booting the ISO? The ISO probably has ver 2.34 of  atk.tcz.  atk_plug_set_child  was added in ver 2.35.  The
atk.tcz  extension was updated since the ISO was released. The  CorePlus  ISO comes with an installer. I recommend
you install to a USB thumb drive and then use the  Apps  utility to update the thumb drive.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 10:20:32 PM »
Also, how does one obtain source code through your integrated package manager so they can fix problems like this upon discovery?

http://tinycorelinux.net/12.x/x86/tcz/src/atk/

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 06:02:19 AM »
Hi Juanito
That still won't help him if he booted an ISO.  The CorePlus ISO was released Feb 17, 2021.
gtk3.tcz  was updated Mar 5, 2021.
atk.tcz  was updated Mar 5, 2021 and is newer than the version in CorePlus.
Also, pango.tcz  was updated Mar 7, 2021 and is newer than the version in CorePlus.

Offline cparke

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 11:42:10 AM »
Hi Rich,

Yes, I am doing a straight boot off the read-only ISO.  I see the installer downloads the newer version 2.36 of the akt.tcz package, and later insists it is "already installed", but looking at the actual library file, it remains unchanged on version 2.34. 

This machine is a Pentium III laptop with no hard drive space left and USB 1.0 ports, so I am trying to find out if there is anything better than running Windows XP for it.  Recent widespread adoption of SSE2 in 32-bit binary builds has been particularly a problem, so I need a quick and easy way to check out if a Linux distro will be usable for my purposes of this laptop (mainly as a graphical terminal, but possibly also for some local web browsing using a lightweight browser like Falkon).

Every other Linux distribution that I have ever tried creates an writable overlay on top of the live file system, to allow for changes and additions to the base release like this, even if that overlay is just held on a ram disk.  It seems, however, that TinyCore doesn't provide something similar out of the box?  I haven't been able to look at the WIKI yet for how the live CD and packages system works with TinyCore, particularly because it is password protected?

Offline jazzbiker

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 12:28:18 PM »
Hi, cparke!

You can find wiki snapshot at http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/doku.php?id=welcome

Have a nice Core!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 09:02:31 PM by Rich »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 12:29:42 PM »
Hi cparke
A mirror to the Wiki can be found here:
http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/doku.php?id=welcome
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 07:23:19 PM by Rich »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 01:17:26 PM »
Hi cparke
... This machine is a Pentium III laptop with no hard drive space left and USB 1.0 ports, ...
So you can't boot from your USB ports, but can still read/write to a thumb drive with them, right?

Do an install to a thumb drive. This way you will have a writable  tce  directory.
Leave the thumb drive plugged in and the CD in the machine and reboot.
When the boot loader menu appears, hit  Tab.  Select the line that contains the  cde  boot code. Delete the  cde  boot code
and continue the boot process.
When Tinycore boots, it will now search for a  tce  directory, which it should find on the thumb drive. It will now proceed
to load extensions from the thumb drive.

Now update your system. Open a terminal and run these commands:
Code: [Select]
tce-audit builddb
tce-audit updatedeps
tce-audit fetchmissing
tce-update

Then reboot and remove the  sdc  boot code like before.

When the system comes up, use the  Apps  utility to install  remmina.  It will be saved to the thumb drive. Now you
should be able to see if  remmina  runs on your hardware.

Booting from a CD is slow. Loading extensions through a USB 1.0 port is slow. Deleting the  cde  boot code is a nuisance.
We can address optimizing these issues later. This is just a test to see if things run on your hardware.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2021, 02:59:18 AM »
CorePlus iso rebuilt and reposted

Offline cparke

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2021, 08:06:25 AM »
... This machine is a Pentium III laptop with no hard drive space left and USB 1.0 ports, ...
So you can't boot from your USB ports, but can still read/write to a thumb drive with them, right?
Yes, that's right.  BIOS has no support for USB boot.  Though I have been able to work around that using the PLoP Bootloader, but that is another story.  Even with USB boot possible, the USB 1.0 ports are very slow and not much better than CD (though they still do enable write capability).

When the boot loader menu appears, hit  Tab.  Select the line that contains the  cde  boot code. Delete the  cde  boot code
and continue the boot process.
When Tinycore boots, it will now search for a  tce  directory, which it should find on the thumb drive. It will now proceed
to load extensions from the thumb drive.
Yes, that does work and allows me to upgrade the dependent packages so than Remmina now works! 

tce-audit builddb
tce-audit updatedeps
tce-audit fetchmissing
tce-update

While I do not yet understand all those steps and why they are necessary, I think we've identified the key issue here with TinyCore that caused me to have trouble in the first place:
      Why doesn't using the 'Download and Load' option in the App Installer override any version currently found or mounted (loaded) from 'cde'?

Honestly, there should be a way to 'unload' an extension as well as to 'reload' (remount') an extension and all its dependencies that are already installed/loaded.  Right now, I have to do the cumbersome process described above or manually figure out what to 'umount' in order to accomplish a basic task expected from a Live CD.  TinyCore is impressively modular, the kind of thing this machine really needs to function properly today, and these are pretty basic concepts that other Linux distros already handle seemlessly using 'overlayfs', 'unionfs', and 'aufs' for example (BTW - I think TinyCore's approach is better for total control of memory usage).

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2021, 09:57:50 AM »
You can find long discussions on unloading on this forum, explaining why it's not there.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2021, 10:25:40 AM »
Hi cparke
... Yes, that does work and allows me to upgrade the dependent packages so than Remmina now works! 

tce-audit builddb
tce-audit updatedeps
tce-audit fetchmissing
tce-update

While I do not yet understand all those steps and why they are necessary, ...
Those 4 steps compare your installed extensions to the ones available in the repository. If there is a newer version
available, it gets downloaded. The next time you boot, the old version is replaced with the new version prior to loading
any extensions. You could also perform those 4 steps using the  Maintenance  menu in the  Apps  utility.