WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: netSurf browser : connection rejected by Tinycorelinux.net  (Read 5612 times)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: netSurf browser : connection rejected by Tinycorelinux.net
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2021, 07:07:24 AM »
Hi grenchyoll
You need to do a proper installation. Your pendrive is booting the CorePlus ISO file which is a file system used for CDs
and is a read only file system. You can not use some installer you found on the Internet to install Tinycore Linux. You have
to use our installer.

Boot your pendrive, but select the first option. This will load all of the extensions in the  cde  directory.
Click on the mount tool (looks like a disk drive) at the bottom of the screen. Make a note of which devices are listed.
Plug in a new pendrive. After a few seconds, a new device will be listed in the mount tool. That's your pendrive. Remember it.

Now click on the gray circle with the diagonal line through it that looks like a screw head. That's the Tinycore installer.
When it asks you where to install, select the device that matched your pendrive in the mount tool.

Once you have created a bootable pendrive with a proper installation, you will be able to install extensions to your pendrive
and not have to enter commands every time you boot.

Offline grenchyoll

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2021, 03:40:27 PM »
You need to do a proper installation.
  OK thanks Rich for this review , will do that !  I have been using this other "tool" to burn ISO on usb , so everytime I see an ISO file in front of me  I dont think twice LOL ....

will do like you instructed . Thanks again !! Ive learned something more today .

GO
Dell Latitude D610 -  "pentium M"  1.73 ghz , 1 gb RAM .

Offline neonix

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2021, 06:42:41 AM »
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,22451.msg145776.html#msg145776

I noticed this problem few monts ago. Solution: use Xorg or other browser to view forum. Dillo works great with this forum. I don't think this problem will be solved ever because TinyX, Xfbdev and Xvesa are old and won't be developed in the future.

Offline jazzbiker

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2021, 10:04:52 AM »
Hi, neonix!

Let me debate with You about TinyX deficiencies. Earlier (before Rich wrote his wonderful AutoCursor) I was using exclusively Xfbdev under TC10,11 and 12. And netsurf 3.10 worked without problems. Built with default configuration it was not finding its own icons, that was the reason I didn't submitted the update. I don't know the desktop related machinery. Don't You remember or maybe You've made some records about how to make netsurf recognize its own icons?

So nice, that TinyX won't be developed in the future, it will remain tiny :)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2021, 01:50:43 PM »
Hi jazzbiker
... (before Rich wrote his wonderful AutoCursor) ...
Aw shucks, you're going to make me blush. :-[

Offline neonix

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2021, 01:21:07 AM »
Hi jazzbiker

I don't understand what is the problem. If you asking about wbar icons just copycat the solution from older verion of netsurf.tcz from the repo. I can't check this problem on my desktop computer because I don't have access to the Internet in my home.

Offline jazzbiker

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2021, 02:38:03 AM »
Hi, neonix!

Oh, thanks for the reminder, wbar icon is to be checked too. But I was talking about netsurf's buttons icons, such as "reload" "back" and others. I saw the corresponding folder and images in the build directory, but after packing an extension I saw empty rectangles instead of buttons icons. Something must be corrected during build - like path to the desktop stuff. Don't You remember, did You pointed some directories during build?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2021, 05:48:44 AM »
Hi jazzbiker
See it the information in replies #12 and #13 here helps any:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,23593.msg147901.html#msg147901

Offline jazzbiker

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2021, 07:26:22 AM »
Thanks, Rich! Will try to work this out...

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2021, 06:58:04 AM »
But I was talking about netsurf's buttons icons, such as "reload" "back" and others. I saw the corresponding folder and images in the build directory, but after packing an extension I saw empty rectangles instead of buttons icons. Something must be corrected during build - like path to the desktop stuff. Don't You remember, did You pointed some directories during build?

Did you try loading adwaita-icon-theme and restarting netsurf?

Offline jazzbiker

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2021, 01:07:57 PM »
Hi, Juanito!

Yes, and many other activities, don't understanding their exact purpose :)   I saw the icon files in /usr/local/share/netsurf and decided, that something went wrong during build and binary can't find the way to this directory. After several absolutely unsuccessful attempts I got the feeling, that I'm drilling tha air. Then I loaded the working 3.9 version, removed all image files from /usr/local/share/netsurf, and - voila! - nothing changed. Main icons are compiled into the binary, and to heal this the source needs to be patched.

Then I've built gtk3 version of netsurf 3.10 and it works fine and looks fine too. The size is quite the same - around 2.1M - I mean tcz.

Will it be desirable to submit gtk3 version of netsurf? We don't know, when gtk2 version will be repaired.

Thanks for advices and support!

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2021, 11:17:11 PM »
The current netsurf (gtk2 v3.9) seems to work OK, maybe you could submit a netsurf-gtk3 extension?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 11:34:56 PM by Juanito »

Offline jazzbiker

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2021, 03:09:43 PM »
Hi, Juanito!

The current netsurf (gtk2 3.9) is segfaulting on file download attempts, I don't know why and what can be done with this trouble. I've played a little with 3.10 gtk2 and gtk3 versions, and in my opinion gtk3 version has no advantages over the gtk2 one. Yes, it can show You 4 icons with the help of 14M sized adwaita-icon-theme.tcz (without it You will see rectangles). Ok, I will pack the gtk3 version, hope it will be useful. Netsurf is interesting of its independent rendering engine. Just an inverted pyramid: 2M engine - 11M toolkit - 14M icons. :)

Offline jazzbiker

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2021, 03:16:54 PM »
Oh, a few words about the topic subject. Under Xvesa and Xfbdev both netsurf-gtk2 and netsurf-gtk3 fail (issuing mystical "error caused by success" messages) if background images are engaged. To use them under one of the TinyX servers open Edit -> Preferences -> Content and set "Load and display" = "foreground images". Under Xorg You can use any of acceptable option.