WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: an FTP or SSH ready server blind-folded  (Read 1898 times)

Offline mik3ca

an FTP or SSH ready server blind-folded
« on: February 28, 2021, 05:18:20 PM »
Ok so I tried out the latest core linux full package and it works nicely on my dell wyse VX0 thinclient. Whats even nicer is that it only used 24MB of 128MB space.

But now I have a bit of an issue. After various testing, I can connect to the internet with it (the thinclient), but when it comes to becoming an FTP server, I could not connect to it and I even tried a direct connection via crossover ethernet cable from PC to the thinclient.

What I would ultimately like to do in the end is keep the dell wyse thinclient as a mini controller for my custom hardware that I made that can connect to computers with a serial port. Unfortunately today's computer's do not have a serial port (RS232) but the thinclient does.  The thinclient will then connect to a modern PC via an RJ45 cable.

Here's a setup I'd like to see for tiny core linux which I think it almost has already.

Let's assume my thinclient only has an external CD-ROM drive and nothing else externally attached to it (except the crossover RJ45 cable) and lets assume the storage inside is empty (unbootable).

And lets assume the CD-ROM has the latest tiny core linux on it.

Is there a way to do it where all I need to do is insert the CD-ROM then the client boots into tiny core and enables FTPD and SSHD (ftp daemon and secure shell daemon) by default? so that all I have to do in my remote modern computer is plug in the RJ45 cable, and specify the IP address of the thinclient and then be able to connect to it with any FTP or SSH client?

I don't even care if the CD-ROM tries to boot into a graphical environment, just as long as the booting is sufficient enough to allow a remote computer to control it once its booted.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: an FTP or SSH ready server blind-folded
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 06:07:44 PM »
Hi mik3ca
Welcome to the forum.

... but when it comes to becoming an FTP server, I could not connect to it and I even tried a direct connection via crossover ethernet cable from PC to the thinclient. ...

Did you install an  ftp  server:
http://tinycorelinux.net/12.x/x86/tcz/inetutils-servers.tcz.info

If you also want a client:
http://tinycorelinux.net/12.x/x86/tcz/inetutils.tcz.info

If you need  ftpget  or  ftpput , they are already included in the base install.

Let's assume my thinclient only has an external CD-ROM drive and nothing else externally attached to it (except the crossover RJ45 cable) and lets assume the storage inside is empty (unbootable).

And lets assume the CD-ROM has the latest tiny core linux on it.
The easiest way would be to boot a Tinycore CD and use it to install Tinycore to a USB thumb drive. You can then boot
the thumb drive and install any extensions you need. In addition, you can add any startup commands and scripts you
wish. This is a lot simpler than the alternative, remastering a CD, possibly multiple times until you achieve the desired
result.

By the way, have you seen this:
https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/wyse/vx0/

Offline mik3ca

Re: an FTP or SSH ready server blind-folded
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 02:35:25 PM »
Yes I seen the link and I haven't made a bootable USB drive before and some older systems wont support booting from USB.