WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Rebuilding Tiny Core Modules  (Read 1791 times)

Offline parky_dw

Rebuilding Tiny Core Modules
« on: February 10, 2021, 08:02:36 AM »
Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction here.

For a small investigation I was doing I needed a PAE version of Tiny Core. I've no issues with building a new kernel, but with a significant change like this I needed to regenerate the modules to match the new kernel - primarily the ones embedded in core.gz. Is there a simple way of doing this?

After some work with Google I ended up doing:
 - make modules.  (Took over 7 hours on my dual core 1.6Hz thin client!)
 - found a script from Rich on the forum http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,24507.msg155508.html#msg155508 which used sorter.sh to package up the many modules into like-minded groups. (Needed a little editing to run).
 - remastered core.gz inserting the expanded base_modules.tgz on the way to replace the existing ones.
 - as part of the remastering copied the main modules.dep file over and edited paths to suit

I did end up with a PAE kernel that ran quite happily so I did end up with what I wanted.

It's just I feel that there must be an alternative (simpler?) approach/script that I failed to find.

Any pointers?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: Rebuilding Tiny Core Modules
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 09:14:41 AM »
Hi parky_dw
Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction here.

----- Snip -----

It's just I feel that there must be an alternative (simpler?) approach/script that I failed to find. ...
No, that's basically it. The instructions you followed were an excerpt from the process I went through while trying to
get Tinycore to boot on an Asus netbook. I've posted that procedure several times, including here:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,23797.msg149402.html#msg149402

The  sorter.sh  is what is used to create the kernel module extensions found in the repository.

Offline parky_dw

Re: Rebuilding Tiny Core Modules
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 09:58:16 AM »
Thanks.  I'll file that away for the future.