WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Supporting TCL  (Read 1862 times)

Offline xenodius

Supporting TCL
« on: February 05, 2021, 07:27:49 AM »
I read that a portion of the Corebook revenue goes toward supporting the servers, etc but is there any way to donate to TCL if I don't actually want a paper book? I think the answer to this question is no, but... why not?

Just want to return some of the great help I've received from the team.  ;D

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Supporting TCL
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 07:54:28 AM »
If you’d like to contribute, extensions are always welcome  :)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 09:56:16 AM »
We don't have the legal setup to be able to accept donations. Asking for donations is illegal in my country, so anything that involves me as a private person wouldn't work.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline xenodius

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 06:22:33 PM »
I will submit some extensions (piCore 12.x 32/64 Qt5, scipy, pyqt5, numpy) once I am confident that I have built them correctly  ::) parsing them out is actually the part I'm least confident on, and while I can take cues from prior build logs I won't trust my work unless I understand the what and why of all the fancy bash-fu. There are some head-spinning one-liners in there. I hadn't programmed a line of code beyond data analysis routines until 8 months ago, and have almost exclusively used python, so the ins and outs of compiling and all the postprocessing are new to me. Twice I've started packing up these extensions to submit then stopped, when I realized I'd made a crucial mistake (e.g. that -release flag in Qt that shaves off nearly a gigabyte!  ::))

This place has been extremely welcoming and helpful with troubleshooting compared to many other communities. And, all the work the team has put into piCore has provided something really valuable to me-- I could write many paragraphs about all the details of it, but the dash I've developed is basically the crown jewel of my top-spec 24-kilowatt ebike and piCore provides a great deal of very welcome stability to it! It's a dash, battery-management system monitor, controller retuner, can limit power to ensure a minimum range either dynamically or via intelligent route-based physics simulation, lowjack, and many other goodies that I don't think anyone has fit into an ebike before. Almost certainly not in any bike that does 0-60mph in 4.3 seconds! Point being, I am indebted ;D I may not be fast about it but if I can't contribute monetarily, I will pay tribute in extensions  8)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 06:32:38 PM by xenodius »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 10:43:14 PM »
Hi xenodius
If you would like to submit an extension, go here:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,24753.msg157260.html#msg157260
You download the source package, unpack it, and run the build script. The script does all of the work. When done, one
of the files created is ready to be emailed for submission.

I don't have PI hardware, so I can't compile it.

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 09:13:10 AM »
Right, sharing knowledge and free things is likely  helpful...it is probably a great contribution.

Not sure about extensions, but sometimes there are large "ready to go" repository's of free software shared.

you may be doing custom computer(s)...... which is totally useful.

thx
C
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 09:15:20 AM by cast-fish »

Offline xenodius

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 03:03:38 PM »
Hello Rich, thanks for the tip, you did all the work for me!   ;D

cast-fish, what repositories are you referring to? Are there unofficial TC repos, or do you mean the galaxy of open-source linux apps?

I'm not sure how many people would use Scipy (On an RPi I can't imagine a use other than high-level processing of sensor signals) but one issue that's been holding me up on submitting it is that it's submodules have overlapping dependencies within the module. It's a big package and often one might use just one or two modules for a project, e.g. scipy-linalg.tcz + scipy-integrate.tcz. So I'd either have to have a pretty big ~40mb scipy-base.tcz with everything to support all the submodules, or have a small base and create submodules with overlapping parts of each other. I would lean toward the second choice, although it would be less efficient if the entire module is needed.

I'd like to setup a navigation app for piCore. There's many projects to choose from but I think I'll try to compile KDE's Marble first... suggestions welcome. I'm not sure how well it'll work for a 1-point touch display but at least Qt has a virtual keyboard, and it'll do voice routing too although I'm not sure about waterproof microphones. My interest is to get offline routing data along a navigation route to feed a trip simulator and accurately predict range with a vehicle physics profile, then optionally ensure a minimum range with dynamic power limits that maintain a consistent speed. Currently I'm using a PID range limiter which actually works quite well in flat Florida but would be allergic to hills. Although a big endeavor, it's worth a lot of peace of mind when a heavy hand on the throttle makes the difference between 40 and 180 miles of EV range.

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2021, 02:12:31 AM »
hello xenodius+members, yeah i mean say "appimage apps", of which there are about 1800 apps whicih are available that i know of. . . . . . . . . . . . . and also via a tinycore browser (Iridium), dialing into a "free remote Linux cloud server" and having access to those galaxy's of free apps you mention . . . . . .(1800 appimage apps will also work on those free servers.. . . ). . . thx c
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 02:16:13 AM by cast-fish »