WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: how easy is it to use the internet from the terminal command  (Read 8795 times)

Offline Jail Bill Gates

how easy is it to use the internet from the terminal command
« on: January 06, 2021, 03:01:42 PM »
Hi
I have a CD for boot with tiny core version 11.1 on it which is the command line only
And I was wondering how easy would it be to access the internet

1. I have a land card intergraded into my mother board; will I need to install driver for that to work?

2. I use linux mint at the moment and download any new program from the sofewaere manager centre; How easy would it be to install this?

3. How eay would it be to install firefox and tor onion web browsers?

Thanks
JBG

Offline Leee

Re: how easy is it to use the internet from the terminal command
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 02:46:36 PM »
Very easy... It will probably take less time to -do- all this than it takes to read it.    :)

Once you have core 11.1 up and running, it will probably recognize your wired network automatically.  If
Code: [Select]
sudo ping tinycorelinux.networks then your nic (lan card) is working, otherwise you'll need to trouble shoot.

---

You'll want your tce directory to be located on persistent storage (your disk) in order to keep the extensions you download on hand - otherwise you would have to re-download them every time you reboot.  Once you've booted core from the hard disk instead of the CD, this will likely already be the case.
readlink /etc/sysconfig/tcedirwill tell you where the tce directory is.

---

You can use the tce-ab command which is a console version of the gui "apps" application browser to download and install the Xwindows bits (for a basic GUI).

The extensions you'll probably need are
  • Xprogs.tcz  which contains a bunch of gui applets specific to Tiny Core ("apps", "mnttool", etc
  • Xorg-7.7.tcz  which is the base Xwindows engine
  • aterm.tcz   which is a terminal emulator
  • flwm_topside.tcz  which is the "fast light window manager", cutomized to have the title bar along the top like most others
  • wbar.tcz  which provides the icon bar on the Tiny Core screen

You can substitute your window manager of choice from the repo instead of flwm_topside, if you'd like, and wbar isn't strictly necessary.

You may get better graphical results if you also install the graphics-KERNEL.tcz extension (the system will figure out what kernel you are using and get the right extension) but if you -don't- need it, it might prevent the gui from working at all.

The tce-ab tool will automatically load any dependencies of the extensions you load so you don't have to worry about that (which is good 'cause there are a bunch of them!)

~~~
Alternatively, you can do the whole mess in one command line with
tce-load -wi graphics-KERNEL Xprogs Xorg-7.7 aterm flwm_topside wbarand, assuming no errors, start X with the cleverly named command
startx
---

Once X is up and running, use the apps tool to browse extensions and install firefox-ESR.  On the "Apps" window, click the "Apps" button, select "Cloud (Remote)" on the resulting menu and "Browse" on the sub-menu to populate the extension list in the left-hand pane and click an extension to see its info in the right-hand pane.  The "Go" button installs the selected extension according to the drop-down selection to the left of the button (which defaults to "OnBoot", which is usually what you want).

---

I see "tor-docs.tcz" in the repo but I don't see tor.tcz itself, so no luck there.  You might be able to pull tor from one of the older repos but that might get you into dependency hell or get you a tor that doesn't protect you the way you expect it to.

---

Note that all of the above will get you a working gui and a working browser but not sound - that's a whole nother discussion, so don't despair if you see a youtube video and it's silent.

core 14.0 x86_64

Offline Jail Bill Gates

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 05:00:57 PM »
sudo ping tinycorelinux.net
says its a bad address

Offline Jail Bill Gates

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 05:02:18 PM »

---

You'll want your tce directory to be located on persistent storage (your disk) in order to keep the extensions you download on hand - otherwise you would have to re-download them every time you reboot.  Once you've booted core from the hard disk instead of the CD, this will likely already be the case.
readlink /etc/sysconfig/tcedirwill tell you where the tce directory is.

---

You can use the tce-ab command which is a console version of the gui "apps" application browser to download and install the Xwindows bits (for a basic GUI).

The extensions you'll probably need are
  • Xprogs.tcz  which contains a bunch of gui applets specific to Tiny Core ("apps", "mnttool", etc
  • Xorg-7.7.tcz  which is the base Xwindows engine
  • aterm.tcz   which is a terminal emulator
  • flwm_topside.tcz  which is the "fast light window manager", cutomized to have the title bar along the top like most others
  • wbar.tcz  which provides the icon bar on the Tiny Core screen

You can substitute your window manager of choice from the repo instead of flwm_topside, if you'd like, and wbar isn't strictly necessary.

You may get better graphical results if you also install the graphics-KERNEL.tcz extension (the system will figure out what kernel you are using and get the right extension) but if you -don't- need it, it might prevent the gui from working at all.

The tce-ab tool will automatically load any dependencies of the extensions you load so you don't have to worry about that (which is good 'cause there are a bunch of them!)

~~~
Alternatively, you can do the whole mess in one command line with
tce-load -wi graphics-KERNEL Xprogs Xorg-7.7 aterm flwm_topside wbarand, assuming no errors, start X with the cleverly named command
startx
---

Once X is up and running, use the apps tool to browse extensions and install firefox-ESR.  On the "Apps" window, click the "Apps" button, select "Cloud (Remote)" on the resulting menu and "Browse" on the sub-menu to populate the extension list in the left-hand pane and click an extension to see its info in the right-hand pane.  The "Go" button installs the selected extension according to the drop-down selection to the left of the button (which defaults to "OnBoot", which is usually what you want).

---

I see "tor-docs.tcz" in the repo but I don't see tor.tcz itself, so no luck there.  You might be able to pull tor from one of the older repos but that might get you into dependency hell or get you a tor that doesn't protect you the way you expect it to.

---

Note that all of the above will get you a working gui and a working browser but not sound - that's a whole nother discussion, so don't despair if you see a youtube video and it's silent.
since i cant install anything with it at the moment
Im not going to presue the rest of this for now
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 05:04:08 PM by Jail Bill Gates »

Online Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 07:06:31 PM »
Hi Jail Bill Gates
sudo ping tinycorelinux.net ...
That won't work because  tinycorelinux.net  won't respond to pings.

Offline Leee

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 12:54:35 AM »
Hi Jail Bill Gates

My bad.  Maybe try it on perdu.com or google.com
core 14.0 x86_64

Offline Jail Bill Gates

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 01:25:49 PM »
Hi Jail Bill Gates

My bad.  Maybe try it on perdu.com or google.com
there all bad address mate!

Offline corezoo

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2021, 06:17:47 PM »
sudo ping -c 3 www.google.com

Offline Jail Bill Gates

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2021, 06:11:24 PM »
sudo ping -c 3 www.google.com

Ow well at least its not a bad command this time
Can you see the text in the photo OK?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Online Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2021, 06:29:49 PM »
Hi Jail Bill Gates
It looks like you used an uppercase  -c  in the command. You should have used a lowercase  -c.

Does this work:
sudo ping -c 3 8.8.8.8

Offline Jail Bill Gates

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2021, 10:38:58 PM »
Hi Jail Bill Gates
It looks like you used an uppercase  -c  in the command. You should have used a lowercase  -c.

Does this work:
sudo ping -c 3 8.8.8.8
it says network is unreachable

Offline Jail Bill Gates

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2021, 02:55:55 AM »
I have just tried it with plugging the either net cable into the back of the machine
And hear are the results. if it says, say 56 bytes of data, dose that mean it has downloaded from the site?

Offline Jail Bill Gates

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2021, 02:57:27 AM »
second photo

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2021, 02:59:11 AM »
Yes, it worked

Offline Jail Bill Gates

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2021, 07:53:05 AM »
Yes, it worked
Great!
So if my land card can actually connect to the internet, then what is the next process regarding getting online please?