WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Before posting your extension request, read this.  (Read 7643 times)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Before posting your extension request, read this.
« on: January 01, 2021, 05:25:58 PM »
When requesting extensions, post a separate request for each extension. Do not group multiple requests into one post.

When requesting an extension, please include the following information:
1. Which flavor, Tinycore or piCore.
2. Which version. Provide the result of the  version  command.
3. Which architecture. Provide the result of the  uname -a  command.
4. A link to the applications web site, if you have one.

Offline Mypresus

Re: Before posting your extension request, read this.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2022, 08:17:59 PM »
Hi Rich,
Just a question in regards to number 1, does cross compilation answer the question?
When creating an extension for one should it cover all architectures covered by TC question 3, cross compilation?
I think my real question is, does TC provide a base for cross compilation such, as if we compile for one do we compile for all architectures supported by TC?
kind regards

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 08:46:56 PM »
Hi Mypresus
You may submit extensions for any architecture you wish. Submitting an extension for one architecture
does not obligate you to submit it for other architectures.

I'm not aware of any cross compilation packages in TC.

When I've submitted extensions, I've supplied a source package that includes a build script. I usually build
for x86 and x86_64. I don't run any Pi hardware, but the script is setup to handle it if someone wants to
download it and submit a version for Pi. You can find an example in this source package:
http://tinycorelinux.net/10.x/x86/tcz/src/PicFormat/

Offline Mypresus

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2022, 02:33:09 AM »
Hi Rich,
1. Which flavor of tiny core:  I understand that there is no obligation to compile for one and not the other.  My thoughts where let's compile for all TC supported architectures.  This will achieve conformity across TC users, making a TC user experience better across architectures, which is done through cross compilation.  My main reason for this comment is is to see that TC is not a separate OS among the different architectures (one can jump from Aarch-32 to x86-32 without being a lost within each other). My hope is that every architecture is treated the same, although when cross compiling have notice some deference's. 

Your question in regards to "I'm not aware of any cross compilation packages in TC"  my have been misinterpreted. Let me explain while compiling a program one can compile for different architectures while compiling. Lets say where compiling for Aarch-64 and made our configurations, it is then easy to change our configurations for example to compile for x86-32 with the right libraries (hence leading back to the above).  The logic behind this is once the submitter of the extension/program has accumulated the knowledge of the program/extension why not distribute among the supported platforms for a better TC experience (if all TC are equal).

In reply "When I've submitted extensions, I've supplied a source package that includes a build script".  I totally agree with supplying a build file this way an understanding is formed for the submission.  I also understand that one does not have all the hardware so some assumptions have to be made  before submitting so cross compilation and fingers crosses. :-)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 02:49:46 AM by Mypresus »