WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TinyCore/RaspberryPi Photo Scanning Project  (Read 16002 times)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: TinyCore/RaspberryPi Photo Scanning Project
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2021, 10:49:20 AM »
Hi Shadow_8472
I just noticed this:
... Edit2: ... And gimp-2.99 > gimp.txt no longer directs the output to the text file. echo will still divert though.

That's because you didn't follow the command I originally gave you:
This should redirect all messages into gimp.txt
Code: [Select]
gimp-2.99 > gimp.txt 2>&1

That is one of the reasons this policy is in place:
Hi Shadow_8472
I would have liked to edit the original post ...
After 30 minutes you can no longer edit your posts.
When you create a new post, members will be notified of that when they click the  "Show unread posts since last visit."
link at the top of the page. When you edit a post, there is no such mechanism. Only going back and rereading previous
posts will reveal that it was edited.

Offline Shadow_8472

« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2021, 05:59:13 PM »
Hi Shadow_8472
... Reboot appears to have regenerated things. .jwmrc-ondemand is still empty, though.
If you don't install extensions  ondemand , that file will be empty.

What do you mean  "is still empty" ? Earlier you stated:
... Yes, ~/.jwmrc exists, but it's empty. ...
I'm beginning to think you were being less than honest with me when you made that statement. ::)
Did you mean  ~/.jwmrc-ondemand ?
Hi Shadow_8472
I just noticed this:
... Edit2: ... And gimp-2.99 > gimp.txt no longer directs the output to the text file. echo will still divert though.

That's because you didn't follow the command I originally gave you:
This should redirect all messages into gimp.txt
gimp-2.99 > gimp.txt 2>&1

That is one of the reasons this policy is in place:
Hi Shadow_8472
I would have liked to edit the original post ...
After 30 minutes you can no longer edit your posts.
When you create a new post, members will be notified of that when they click the  "Show unread posts since last visit."
link at the top of the page. When you edit a post, there is no such mechanism. Only going back and rereading previous
posts will reveal that it was edited.

My apologies on both accounts. I don't have my TinyCore install open at the moment, but I do remember several ~/.jwmrc files and one of them being empty. I do plan on coming back to this project, but another, more pressing project came up when my Manjaro box turned up with a bad kernel. Now I'm teaching myself about the chroot command to fix it. It just means I won't be returning for a work on a post next Monday.

As for the logging issue, I'm sure I ran it as you said at least one time, and I'm left with the distinct impression that it used to work without the trailing 2>&1, leading to my confusion.

Finally, forum protocol. I think I understand. I've been using Discord for so long, I'm hardly familiar with forums except for refreshing every few minutes to an hour until something comes up. If I'm the most recent post, I tend to edit as opposed to making a new reply. If it will work better, I can make incremental posts instead.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2021, 06:44:18 PM »
Hi Shadow_8472
... it used to work without the trailing 2>&1, leading to my confusion. ...
The normal output of a command (such as  ls  for example) generally goes to  stdout.
Errors generated by a command generally go to  stderr.
When running a command, both  stdout  and  stderr  will get printed in the terminal.
A terminal has 3 file descriptors, stdin, stdout, and stderr. They are also known by the numbers 0, 1, and 2.
When you run:
gimp-2.99 > gimp.txtYou are saying redirect  stdout (the 1 is implied)  to the file gimp.txt.
When you run:
gimp-2.99 > gimp.txt 2>&1You are saying redirect  2 (stderr)  into  1 (stdout)  and send the combined output into gimp.txt.
Order is important. The  2>&1  has to come after the redirection to the file.

... If it will work better, I can make incremental posts instead.
If you add relevant information you want others to see, that would be a good idea.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 10:54:03 AM by Rich »

Offline Shadow_8472

« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2021, 02:59:54 PM »
I'm back this week, and I want to ditch the window manager all together. I'll be working towards booting to the command line despite xorg being present, and I want to setup a command that runs something along the lines of
startx gimp $* -- :0 vt$XDG_VTNR modified from https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-run-x-applications-without-a-desktop-or-a-wm.

After I have X starting and closing with GIMP, I want to work on the scanner and finally scanning directly into GIMP with XSANE so long as XSANE isn't limited to 24 bit color depth as I heard it might be.

Thanks for explaining about stderr though. As it is, I have no clue if ash will handle the command as I have it. I will be reporting back as I work.

Offline Shadow_8472

« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2021, 07:21:27 PM »
Not much luck so far, but I can now use Ctrl+Alt+F1 for my command line. I learned it's possible to drop a window manager all together, so I've removed JWM and I'm trying to boot directly into GIMP using ~/.X.d as per instructions on the TinyCore FAQ (gimp-2.99 &). The background shows up but goes black 1/4 to 1/2 seconds later.

Offline Shadow_8472

« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2021, 07:36:37 PM »
Well, here's a development: I left X alone on boot for a while to do its own thing while I dig into the FAQ some more, and GIMP produced a debug window. It gives some instructions on how to report the bug (I don't have a clipboard installed) followed by a bunch of text I don't know how to move over here sans hand copying.

Here are three lines from the tail that pop out at me. I'm hoping they can be fixed without a window manager:
> GIMP-CRITICAL: gimp_create_display: assertion 'monitor == NULL || G_IS_OBJECT (monitor)' failed

> GIMP-CRITICAL: gimp_display_get_shell: assertion 'GIMP_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed

> GIMP-CRITICAL: session_restore: assertion 'GDK_IS_MONITOR (monitor)' failed

I also have that default X cursor I've seen before. I also can't move the window around, not that I'm entirely surprised there.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 07:38:30 PM by Shadow_8472 »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2021, 11:57:02 PM »
You do need a window manager to manage windows, ie move them around, or switch focus, or ...
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Shadow_8472

« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2021, 12:32:59 AM »
You do need a window manager to manage windows, ie move them around, or switch focus, or ...
I figured as much, but if I'm only using the one GUI program, the only reason I'd want a window manager is if it literally could not start without one. As stated earlier in the thread, I managed to crash JWM and GIMP proper continued to run without decorations. It was even still able to bring up a preferences window, as I recall.

Offline Shadow_8472

« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2021, 12:35:39 PM »
I've been doing additional research, and while I'm hardly certain, I believe my black screen problems are directly related to missing function calls a window manager normally calls. Does this sound right?

Offline Shadow_8472

« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2021, 02:22:05 PM »
I caved after some research about Xorg. I'm switching to FLWM-Topside because it seems more stable than JWM. I'm refocusing on getting the scanner detected.

Offline gadget42

digitizing old film photo negatives
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2022, 11:42:42 PM »
digitizing old film photo negatives

didn't want to start a new thread and this one showed up in a search for "old photo" so here we are...

neat negative holder:
https://www.pixl-latr.com/

found that while i was reading these:
https://www.35mmc.com/04/03/2021/110-film-in-2021-a-guide-to-shooting-developing-and-scanning-by-bob-janes/
https://www.35mmc.com/07/09/2020/how-to-get-started-developing-black-white-film-for-25-or-less-by-sroyon-mukherjee/

also, poking around on amazon i found this review:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R1FIM7S5QHOZ2D/
for this clever portable device(you never know when you might want to digitize other family/friends/etc negatives):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088D2GD31/
(disclaimer: not affiliated with any amazon product and/or service)

sharing is caring

20220724-0210am-modified-added additional information/links/disclaimer
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 12:10:07 AM by gadget42 »
The fluctuation theorem has long been known for a sudden switch of the Hamiltonian of a classical system Z54 . For a quantum system with a Hamiltonian changing from... https://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,25972.msg166580.html#msg166580