WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Kernel module/extension inquiry  (Read 1873 times)

Offline CentralWare

• Administrator
Kernel module/extension inquiry
« on: December 11, 2020, 12:07:17 AM »
Good evening everyone!

I was thumbing through the repo and there is something that escapes me.
When you compile (or recompile) the kernel, do you have an automation script which is responsible for packaging all of the modules?  (I'd imagine doing all of those manually would be rather time consuming.)  If you do, is it available somewhere on here?

Secondly, the posts I've read thus far regarding RasPi4 don't really answer this for me to the extent I'm in need of.  Is there a version of TCL which is considered "stable" which either handles the 3+GB RAM in userspace and/or is running on an x64arm kernel?  (I have a few Pi4 in-house, 2GB, 4GB and the new 8GB unit and I loaded Kodi onto a 2GB and it was painfully slow compared to running it on a Pi3 with the same card (re-imaged, of course) so we haven't spent much time with the 4B's yet, but I'd like to change that.)

Lastly, just a head's up: tinycore/12.x has copies of 11.x image for x86 (and I think x64) in its releases; this may or may not be intentional on your part. If it is, please disregard.

Take care and stay safe!
Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Kernel module/extension inquiry
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 12:42:50 AM »
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 01:18:21 AM »
Is there a version of TCL which is considered "stable" which either handles the 3+GB RAM in userspace and/or is running on an x64arm kernel?

Yes - piCore64 - http://tinycorelinux.net/12.x/aarch64/releases/RPi/

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 05:12:03 AM »
Hi centralware
... Lastly, just a head's up: tinycore/12.x has copies of 11.x image for x86 (and I think x64) in its releases; ...
Could you provide a link to a specific example? If it's an archive, also mention which file name inside it you think is incorrect.

Offline CentralWare

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 11:58:43 AM »

@Curaga: Thanks!
@Juanito: Thanks! I read that zram had to be disabled for the 8GB device to function; any other RasPi4B requirements or recommendations by chance?
@Rich: Sorry, seems as though our wget based update script (fetches updated iso/zip files from armv*/x86* release directories) was updated to include 11.x/12.x..
[/size]I'm guessing since there's no x86 directory in 12.x somehow it screwed up and downloaded those from 11.x??

Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 12:54:50 PM »
I read that zram had to be disabled for the 8GB device to function; any other RasPi4B requirements or recommendations by chance?

nozswap is only necessary for 32-bit piCore with 8gb - it’s not required for piCore64