WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: File storage problem for TCL64  (Read 6318 times)

tinycorelinux

Re: File storage problem for TCL64
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2020, 07:10:23 AM »
In a sense, the links created for all the files in the loaded TCZ are repeated every boot, because the location and rules of the TCZ mount will not change, so the file links will not change. I suggest that the TCL team should pay attention to this problem and try to improve it. I think the performance will be improved a lot.
It is recommended that links be re created for all files in TCZ only if necessary.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 07:15:53 AM by ONE »

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2020, 08:07:24 AM »
From your comments, I assume you've given up on a traditional (scatter) install, which is not recommended on tinycore.

Many users make the mistake of downloading all their extensions to load "onboot". If you only set a few extensions "onboot" and set the ones you use occasionally "ondemand", tinycore will boot a lot quicker.

In tinycore's early days some time was spent to optimise the creation of extension symlinks, but any patch suggestions that make things quicker would be gratefully received.

Offline xor

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2020, 09:26:21 AM »
instantaneous loss is minimal; but the overall gain is high.

The loss rate you think is too small to think !!! :)

The system only reads the system files required at boot.
reads files on optional applications.
However, the system needs to create links for all files in each mounted TCZ every time, so the startup speed is slow

tinycorelinux

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2020, 04:46:55 PM »
...tinycore will boot a lot quicker.
It's not just the boot speed that matters. Tinycore is one of the fastest in the world.

if all TCZ is manually loaded, but it will slow down the extension startup software because TCZ has to be loaded and symbolic links are created for all the files in the extension before it can be started.

Don't forget that TCZ also needs to do the same thing above for all its unloaded dependencies, not just the software you're using.

In tinycore's early days some time was spent to optimise.
I don't know. "local" whether the bootcode is for that purpose, I'm also curious about what it does, but I don't seem to understand what wikipedia says.

but any patch suggestions that make things quicker would be gratefully received.
Ok, I'll have a try.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 05:01:29 PM by ONE »

Offline polikuo

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2020, 07:04:25 AM »
I don't know. "local" whether the bootcode is for that purpose, I'm also curious about what it does, but I don't seem to understand what wikipedia says.

I'm pretty sure the boot code [local] is obsolete.

tinycorelinux

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2020, 08:40:17 AM »
Quote from: polikuo
I'm pretty sure the boot code [local
is obsolete.
Thanks for the warning. I guess I'm on my own.

Offline xor

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2020, 10:18:03 PM »
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,24514.0.html

In tinycore's early days some time was spent to optimise the creation of extension symlinks, but any patch suggestions that make things quicker would be gratefully received.

Offline Sashank999

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2020, 08:07:55 PM »
Hi !

I'm just too lazy to read all of this thread but I did read some of it and am answering this. TinyCore is always loaded into RAM and RAM works as a temporary storage. After a shutdown, RAM loses power and just forgets all of its data unlike an HDD or SSD where data is written on the drive. Hence, data on TCL is just gone after you shut it down.

The best thing you can do to actually get the files stored on HDD or SSD without the backup is using "home and opt" bootcodes.
 See FAQ for more info. home and opt bootcodes allow the files to be written directly to SDD unlike traditional backup method.