WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: dCore-buster64rc and xfontsel  (Read 4055 times)

Offline volkerp

dCore-buster64rc and xfontsel
« on: November 15, 2020, 03:28:00 PM »
I didn't have problems using xfontsel in  dCore-stretch. In dCore-buster64rc I ran into a problem I'm unable to solve:
Code: [Select]
tc@box:~$ xfontsel
Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
Warning: Unable to load any usable fontset
^C
tc@box:~$
Any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: dCore-buster64rc and xfontsel
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 07:23:07 PM »
Thanks for reporting.  I am testing this with dCore-stretch vs dCore-buster64. 

Offline Rich

• Administrator

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 10:20:57 AM »
Thanks Rick for the link, it has a few workarounds mentioned.  I tried them all and nothing made the warning go away. 

Does this warning message affect the usage of xfontsel?  The xfontsel window shows up for me, and says 1394 names match before I choose anything in the utility.  dCore-focal64 has this same warning echoed when launching xfontsel from the console.

Offline volkerp

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 01:23:40 PM »
Hi Jason W and Rich,
thank you very much for your efforts undertaken to date.

Does this warning message affect the usage of xfontsel?  The xfontsel window shows up for me, and says 1394 names match before I choose anything in the utility.

Yes, the warning message affects the usage of xfontsel. The xfontsel window shows up for me as well,  and says in my case 752 names match before I can't choose anything in the utility. Insofar the xfontsel utilty is unusable for me.

##################################################

The above mentioned was my state of knowledge until yesterday. Today I know more.

I imported xorg-all and use it instead of xorg-intel. xfontsel (2524 names match) now works and I can choose fonts.

Negative side effect: The flwm_topside menu is now tiny, but I can use it blindly. Should I open a new thread for this problem?

Otherwise it makes perhaps sense for me to depacketize xorg-all, remove unneeded packets and assemble my own Xserver?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 01:29:04 PM by volkerp »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 01:54:30 PM »
Hi volkerp
... Negative side effect: The flwm_topside menu is now tiny, but I can use it blindly. Should I open a new thread for this problem? ...
I think you should continue it here. This way the fix, the problem that fix created, and how it finally gets resolved will
all be located in the same thread.