WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: vlc will not start  (Read 10208 times)

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: vlc will not start
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2021, 01:01:28 AM »
libXss added to mplayer-cli dep file

Offline grenchyoll

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2021, 02:19:07 AM »
Hello Juanito , thks for your replies . Very nice !

After some trial and errors , I could make it work .

- in Apps I had to download the following , one after another :
   ---- libXss.tcz
   ---- libXv.tcz
   ---- libXxf86dga.tcz

I made all that to load on boot , after that I can finally start mplayer on terminal , cool .

I finally can see JASON & The ARGONAUTS playing
on my "OldTimer" 32bit Dell D610 Pentium M .

thanks a lot !

GO
Dell Latitude D610 -  "pentium M"  1.73 ghz , 1 gb RAM .

Offline nick65go

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2021, 03:24:25 AM »
Hi, I use tc12 (both 32 and 64 bits) from now (UEFI), and tc4-tc6 for old PC (BIOS). But I am curios:
1. Why someone will "upgrade" from (let's say) tc9 up to tc10 or tc11, but not directly to tc12?
2. Why use the LATEST versions for software? For example, why vlc3 and not vlc2? Or why LibreOffice and not gnumeric?
Could you share what you personally missed in older versions? It is not criticism or suggestion what to use, just try to learn... 
(only for Firefox I understand the need to upgrade, because perceived security, freedom/privacy for bank transactions etc).
If someone use huge memory consumption (and long dependencies list) software like Firefox/LibreOffice/VLC etc, then why not use tc12 kernel? What is the criteria, because RAM limitation could not be one, for these choices?
Thank you.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 03:39:50 AM by nick65go »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2021, 05:09:36 AM »
Hi grenchyoll
... so its weird VLC cant even start due to "instructions"  , isnt it  ?!?  ...
If you still have  vlc3  on your machine, does it start with one of these commands:
Code: [Select]
nvlcor:
cvlcOr does it still produce an error message containing  qt  and/or  Illegal instruction ?

Offline grenchyoll

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2021, 03:00:31 PM »
Hi, I use tc12 (both 32 and 64 bits) from now (UEFI), and tc4-tc6 for old PC (BIOS). But I am curios:
1. Why someone will "upgrade" from (let's say) tc9 up to tc10 or tc11, but not directly to tc12?
2. Why use the LATEST versions for software? For example, why vlc3 and not vlc2? Or why LibreOffice and not gnumeric?
Could you share what you personally missed in older versions? It is not criticism or suggestion what to use, just try to learn... 
(only for Firefox I understand the need to upgrade, because perceived security, freedom/privacy for bank transactions etc).
If someone use huge memory consumption (and long dependencies list) software like Firefox/LibreOffice/VLC etc, then why not use tc12 kernel? What is the criteria, because RAM limitation could not be one, for these choices?
Thank you.
  Hello nick65go . Yes , you got the point , the idea is to use latest Firefox  for safe browsing (banking , email )  I couldnt have that with Windows XP on this machine anymore . So for now TC12 is working perfectly for this purpose , I can browse with no restrictions whatsoever .  Having media players are secondary aim to this revival project ( dell latitude D610 Pentium M ,  only  1gb RAM ddr2 ) .

I tried Gnumeric but is off on TC12 32bit , something went wrong when installing , LibreOffice is perfect and runs fine on this machine . Other survival kit installed , calculator , epdf-view , xmms , enough to basic tasks . Now I will try to learn some mplayer commands .

any thoughts are appreciated and really welcome .

G:O

Offline grenchyoll

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2021, 03:30:13 PM »
Hi grenchyoll
... so its weird VLC cant even start due to "instructions"  , isnt it  ?!?  ...
If you still have  vlc3  on your machine, does it start with one of these commands:
nvlcor:
cvlcOr does it still produce an error message containing  qt  and/or  Illegal instruction ?
  hey Rich

I had it unistalled , but after your reccommendation I installed VLC3 again , and now its working .

No instructions alert anymore .  I dont know if there's something to do with the other dependencies which avoided mplayer to install as well . What I know is after installed those , now I could install and run VLC3 . I don't have a gui , only see "running VLC with the default interface " but no proper gui started when I click on the VLC icon . I used the command line and could play video . Would be more interesting to have a gui .

thanks for your help and guidance !!!!!

GO

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2021, 04:24:39 PM »
Hi grenchyoll
Thank you for testing that.
The  cvlc  command launches  vlc3  in command line mode.
The  nvlc  command launches  vlc3  using an  ncurses  interface. Think DOS graphics if you go back that far.
The GUI is provided by  qt5  which the above 2 commands avoid. I think this confirms the  Illegal instruction  is coming from  qt5.

Offline nick65go

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2021, 05:03:53 AM »
@grenchyoll: Thanks for your feed-back.
I am glad that you can run firefox and libreoffice on your PC. mplayer is also very good choise for your resources.
FYI: in TC12 all software work OK for me. Even I run OK some which exist only in old TC{4..11}.
So MAYBE some tcz are not compiled for your CPU capabilities. Or maybe you mixed old tcz (from tc9/10/11) with new tcz (from tc12) as I frecvently did in the past when a tcz was missing. Or maybe you mixed tcz from tc12_32 with tcz from Tc12_64, etc.

PS: if you can run libreoffice with 1GB RAM, then abiword (is like WinWord in WinXP), or gnumeric (is like Excel in WinXP) could be better for RAM resources. [But no equivalents for Powerpoint in WinXP, if you need it as a home user].
If you have troubles with gnumeric.tcz in TC12, please open a new specific post about it, and provide details, to ask for help in the forum (maybe first search about keyword gnumeric in this forum).