WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: How can I install the latest version of nano text editor 5.1 ?  (Read 4087 times)

Offline ramonriera

The nano text editor version is very old.
How can I install the latest version 5.1?
Thanks and greetings.

aus9

Re: How can I install the latest version of nano text editor 5.1 ?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 06:53:51 PM »
If you are on TC64 you can follow my build script here to update by replacing the variable
V=4.9.2 with V=5.1

http://tinycorelinux.net/11.x/x86_64/tcz/src/nano/build-nano.sh

If you are on TC64 I have no plans to update nano at the moment, once a year unless there is a security issue is my kindof rule. The build script is wrong for the tce.installed bit, it should read
chown root:staff $P/usr/local/tce.installed
chmod -R 775 $P/usr/local/tce.installed
chown $USER:staff $P/usr/local/tce.installed/$P

I think I should have included an export for the TC64 flags too.

If you are on TC32 then use Apps to download only the TCEs I name for building deps
compiletc submitqc xz ncursesw-dev groff file-dev sed  texinfo

build it....if it works as expected, you can go thru the submission process as bmarkus is not with us at the moment.
the wiki has different flags for 32 bit too.
http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/doku.php?id=wiki:creating_extensions

I do not build for TC32. But if you can not someone else,  seeing your reply might volunteer.

You can always build a private extension...it could be fun?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 07:50:51 PM by Rich »

Offline ramonriera

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 06:35:32 AM »
Hello aus9 !!!

First of all thanks for your reply.

I am in love with TC. I turn on and off in a few seconds from my usb stick. TC works perfectly on all my laptops and fulfills the KISS philosophy for me.

The other day I read that they had released version 5.1 of nano editor and about its new features and I wondered if I could run it in TC.

After reading your post I wonder if I should apply the KISS philosophy to me and continue with nano version 2.2.6 :)))

Anyway I will try to apply your instructions because I think that the combination of TC and nano editor is a fantastic tool for writers.

Greetings and thanks again.

aus9

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 06:25:07 PM »
Yes and thanks for the head up that nano has a major release number. I should have said for TC64 that I do major updates but at the moment I am doing some things on RPi.

I tend to be a GUI person so leafpad is something you may like to have a look at too?

Offline ramonriera

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 12:41:12 PM »
Thank you for your suggestion. With leafpad and with DOSBox for my old but fantastic msdos outliner I have it solved.

Thanks aus9 !!! Thanks TC !!!