WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Installing VirtualBox Guest Additions  (Read 3037 times)

Offline kevsteroni

Installing VirtualBox Guest Additions
« on: August 10, 2020, 02:09:14 AM »
Hi all, TC newb here. As others in the past, I'm trying to run TC (using TinyCorePure64 11.1) on VirtualBox to get shared clipboards+folders, but struggling to get it to work.

1. I checked to see if I could already find extensions, but it seems there is only one for VMWare.
2. After mounting the LinuxGuestAdditions image and attempting to run:
Code: [Select]
VBoxLinuxAdditions.run I ran into an error that I didn't have a compiled kernel.

3. Used
tce-load linux-kernel-sources-env
cliorx linux-kernel-sources-env.sh
to compile the kernel

4. After this:
VBoxLinuxAdditions.run runs with fewer problems, but complains about unknown user vboxadd. I added that user to tc, and now the script runs without problems.

However, I'm not seeing any shared folders, and to be honest, I'm not even sure how to verify that anything works. Does anybody have experience installing the guest additions on tiny core? I've found an article, but it quite does the trick:

https://www.markn.org/blog/2015/01/tiny-core-6-vbox-file-sharing.html#more (had trouble after make modules. Compiled kernel doesn't seem to be recognised by the script. Article mentions modpost but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. Anyway, step 3 mentioned above seems to do everything mentioned in the article, but automatically)

Sidenote: Compiling the kernel takes out quite a lot of space, and the whole idea with this machine is to run a few small applications on a VM that I can easily share with other folks, so I'd also like to eventually just have the VirtualBox Guest Additions in a format (extension?) that I can re-use, and since there seems to be other users who would like this feature, maybe could also be turned into an extension.

TinyCoreLinux

Re: Installing VirtualBox Guest Additions
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 03:53:11 AM »
I hope you found the answers to this post helpful.
 http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,15772.15.html
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 03:57:14 AM by Trump »

Offline kevsteroni

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 01:50:32 PM »
I looked at both posts before I posted and tried out everything, but still haven't gotten anything working  😟 seems like there are a lot of partial/outdated solutions, which is why I'm asking if someone has succeeded in installing it recently and can help me out.

TinyCoreLinux

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 06:32:12 PM »
What platform is your virtual machine running on? Do you want to share the clipboard and file between the virtual machine and your physical machine? Am I right?

Offline kevsteroni

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 12:54:32 PM »
I'm on MacOS Catalina 10.15.6 and running 5.4.3-tinycore64. Yes exactly, shared clipboard and folders are the important features for me.

I can also post a few process screenshots if that's helpful. This is the "furthest" I've gotten. Compiled kernel successfully and run VBoxLinuxAdditions.run successfully: