WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Need a linux distro that works on low end devices.  (Read 4737 times)

Offline TD15

Need a linux distro that works on low end devices.
« on: August 06, 2020, 08:10:52 PM »
I have that old HP compaq laptop running outdated windows xp, I need a linux disto that runs well on 1 GB of RAM and doesn't need physical adress extension (PAE) to work.
I already tried LXLE but it requires PAE, bodhi linux didn't work either.

Offline Sashank999

Re: Need a linux distro that works on low end devices.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 08:36:17 PM »
Sorry to say this but :
http://torios.top/

Didn't TCL work ?

TinyCoreLinux

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 08:53:49 PM »
I recommend two Linux systems that don't support PAE and are perfect for running Linux systems on very old machines: LUbuntu and Deepin9.
Ubuntu14.04 generally works on older machines, and you can force PAE checks to be ignored, as you can try.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 09:05:17 PM by Trump »

Offline TD15

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 10:19:54 PM »
Didn't TCL work ?
It works, but I want a full fledged desktop. I will keep tiny core as a nomadic distro.
About Tori OS you mentioned, does it have a decent software support?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 10:22:15 PM by TD15 »

Offline TD15

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 10:23:36 PM »
I recommend two Linux systems that don't support PAE and are perfect for running Linux systems on very old machines: LUbuntu and Deepin9.
Ubuntu14.04 generally works on older machines, and you can force PAE checks to be ignored, as you can try.
So using forcepae may let lxle work? I was worried because they said: Do it at your own risk.

TinyCoreLinux

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 10:35:34 PM »
I don't know if LXLE can use kernel parameters to make it work, but I do know that Ubuntu14 can.
Code: [Select]
Boot Options file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash -- forcepae

Offline Sashank999

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 10:47:14 PM »
... does it have a decent software support?
1. I don't know anything about ToriOS. It just resulted in a search.
Quote from: TD15 link=http://torios.top/documentation/
Features
  • Terminal and Synaptic are both available to install whatever package you wish.
From http://torios.top/documentation/ .

Offline TD15

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 11:35:45 PM »
ToriOS looks promising, I hope that after getting discontinued it will keep supporting Debian apps (since it is based on Debian)

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2020, 11:40:19 PM »
I think you might enjoy antiX 32-bit.  Currently at ver 19.x

It's another distro that many think that "lean and mean" is reserved for old hardware.  While it certainly performs well there, it also rocks on modern hardware.

Net, Core, Base, Full versions.

Be forewarned - unless you simply want to install to a hard drive, the main emphasis is on persistence.  And there are 5 or more menu options when you boot it that way, so read up a little about those options.  Or see the videos done by an MX-linux dev that uses the same persistence setup.

And no system-d if that's an issue.

Think small apps like Rox-filer, Conky and a boatload of user and community developed tools in addition to normal repo software.  But you can take it to whatever level you desire.

That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth

Offline TD15

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 01:42:59 AM »
Are you sure that antiX works on non PAE CPUs?

aus9

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2020, 02:32:32 AM »
TD15

It might help if instead of asking members here, what the technical aspects of a non-TC distro has or does not have do one of the following

a) join the forum for a distro you suspect might be non-PAE and ask there.

b) do an internet search.....I prefer not to spoon feed you but it took me seconds to frame a search for non-PAE linux distros.
I have no idea how valid the results are.....because I suggest you re-read (1)

part 2. If you input eg "antix linux non pae "  you might be surprised with the results you might get.

Draw your own conclusions....but please start doing your own research.

###############################
Below is ignorable advice.

Does the distro offer a forum

Are you able to do IRC, twitter or social media contact with members or the community (I am old person so wrote this thinking young people care about these things  ;D)

How often do the main vulnerable sotware get updated? (Do you know what they are....ask the internet)

How quickly does the forum repond to your technical questions such as bug reports (if found)

Does the distro have a good rating? And the opposite, does the distro have adverse finding about it,
eg is it claimed the distro contains spyware, rootkits and the like

In terms of your own hardware, do a search of that make and model using a search engine and include linux as a search term.
Optional do a search of various linux hardware databases......you know the drill ....use a search engine to find them please.

Good Luck
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 02:42:42 AM by aus9 »

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2020, 03:28:59 AM »
@TD15 --

Yup - last time I looked 32 bit was non pae.  I run the 64 bit version from time to time on modern gear.

You could simply install it to the hard drive and operate like a classic distro.  THEN, if you wanted to see if you could improve performance even further, instead of running from the hard drive, you boot from usb, (or cd) and play with the persistence options - usually to ram to get it humming.

Base or Full is what I'd recommend starting out.  Then again, at that point, unlike TC, it is no longer a 24mb download - but still reasonably small.

I think antiX is what I'd recommend for those that may find the plethora of options or personal settings of TC just a tad too much and just want to get down to business - yet still have enough different stuff than your average distro to keep things interesting.

Of course there's always dCore !  But if even that seems too obtuse, antiX in my mind makes a wonderful counterpart with a slightly different overall vision than TC, with dedicated devs providing tools for that "personal touch".  Coming from TC, that's easy to recognize.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 03:35:11 AM by PDP-8 »

Offline TD15

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2020, 04:28:40 AM »
b) do an internet search.....I prefer not to spoon feed you but it took me seconds to frame a search for non-PAE linux distros.
I have no idea how valid the results are.....because I suggest you re-read (1)

I have already done my own research, I tried lxle, bodhi linux, then tiny core plus. Then I thought asking linux users may give better advice.
I will try antiX and the other suggestions. I hope it will go well. Thanks! :)

aus9

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2020, 06:15:14 AM »
Hi

Then I thought asking linux users may give better advice
Can I assume because you did research etc you then followed your own advice and
sought help  LXLE forum?  (I believe they are linux users)
sought help  Bodhi forum? (ditto)

They may be fine distros give them a chance by asking them for better advice please.

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2020, 12:46:51 PM »
I have to admit I overlooked antiX for a long time, mostly because it seemed to me that the name has a negative connotation depending on how you pronounce it. :)

At first, I associated it with being targeted only towards old stuff, antiques.  It runs just fine, great in fact, on modern stuff too.

Or, the whole "anti" thing made me think there was some sort of hidden agenda or controversial way of dealing with things.  Not true.

And then theres *one* of the core devs who is an intellectual with a differing political viewpoint.  But the mission isn't to turn the distro into some sort of political banner and instead code freedom and creativity is the highlight.

The only evidence you'll see of this is a few bookmarks in the browser.  If you don't agree, then simply be strong enough to right-click and remove them and move on.

Somehow, like being astronauts on the Internation Space Station, a small exposure to a different way of thinking doesn't prevent those with opposing views to work together for the common good of the mission.