WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Questions to FAQ about TCL  (Read 30564 times)

Offline andyj

Re: Questions to FAQ about TCL
« Reply #120 on: August 03, 2020, 07:44:52 AM »
Maybe you highlighted the locale you wanted without actually selecting it? Make sure you select the locales you want before you hit OK.

TinyCoreLinux

« Reply #121 on: August 03, 2020, 08:15:33 AM »
@andyj
Of course not. If you look at the command I gave you earlier, you'll see that it's hard to generate the correct locale file, so you have to do it manually using the localedef command.
Code: [Select]
The extension is at /mnt/sda1/tce/optional/mylocale.tcz and in onboot.lst
mylocale.tcz is smaller than 10 kB (i.e., probably broken).

TinyCoreLinux

« Reply #122 on: August 03, 2020, 07:33:54 PM »
Q11: A confusing question: What's the difference between ~ /.xresources and ~ /.xdefaults? All I know is that they are just a profile. Are they profiles for all applications or specific programs? When should I use ~ /.xresources and when should I use ~ /.xdefaults? But I found that TCL only had ~ /.xdefaults.

Offline Sashank999

« Reply #123 on: August 03, 2020, 07:55:40 PM »
With some googling, what I got is that :
Xresources is a user-level configuration dotfile, typically located at ~/.Xresources. It can be used to set X resources, which are configuration parameters for X client applications.

Among other things they can be used to:

configure terminal preferences (e.g. terminal colors)
set DPI, anti-aliasing, hinting and other X font settings
change the Xcursor theme
theme XScreenSaver
configure low-level X applications like: xorg-xclock, xpdf, rxvt-unicode

Note:
Most Display managers load the ~/.Xresources file on login.
The older ~/.Xdefaults file is read when an X11 program starts, but only if xrdb has not been used in the current session.
Got from here : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/x_resources
Also see this for more clarity : https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=71742 .

TinyCoreLinux

« Reply #124 on: August 03, 2020, 08:55:54 PM »
@Sashank999
Oh! Does vi not support configuration files? I've been looking for a long time and all I can only find vim's configuration file.

Offline Sashank999

« Reply #125 on: August 03, 2020, 09:09:24 PM »
No. The standard command-line vi doesn't have any startup or configuration files.
Here : https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/180710/where-is-the-rc-file-for-vi-editor .

You better switch to vim or nano if you want configuration files. I recommend nano (Thanks to aus9).

TinyCoreLinux

« Reply #126 on: August 03, 2020, 10:11:26 PM »
@Sashank999
NOTE: My English is poor. If there is anything unclear or confusing, you can ask me.

I can only say thank you, my friend, that you still answer the kind of questions that others think are very retarded.

I don't even know what's a good question to ask here. What problems should I solve myself? Maybe I know that 90% of the problems should be solved by myself, not here." Lazer" Ask the same questions to meet myself needs.

But then again, no man is born wise, so who is free from doubt?
Besides, for a farmer like me who has no culture, no education, no experience in Linux, and no technology, the seemingly simple question is actually very difficult for me.

You may not know much about our open source environment or the so-called open source community in China. In our country, it seems that it is not easy for you to get help through search engines. The more data you can get, it is not help, but advertising and irrelevant answer, which are mainly based on commercialization. (This may have been a very sad thing for a long time)

So I am forced to try to get some help on this.

My friend, I would like to know, when you meet these problems, how do you solve them? Can you recommend some relevant websites or communities to me?

Offline Sashank999

« Reply #127 on: August 03, 2020, 11:09:52 PM »
@NOOB
Mostly try to solve problems yourself. I think that problems faced by me might be faced by others. Hence I search them in Google for a solution. Mostly Google shows me the solution. If google doesn't give me good results (happens sometimes), I will try in DuckDuckGo, Bing or Yahoo. If none give good results, I will try "howdoi". Howdoi is a python module that makes search easy and automatically identifies and presents good search results.

Most problems faced by you might already be solved. Just search for their solutions.

Even I was a noob when I started linux. I mainly thought Linux is only for great programmers and hackers. But after entering the world of linux, I found that linux also has many other uses.

It doesn't matter who you are or what your occupation is, you just need the interest, time and patience to learn Linux. No need of any magic skills or any special coaching.

Never ever ask questions in only one community. If you ask the same questions others asked, you will not receive any answers. The questions others asked might be solved. Just look for their solutions.

Some places I know for good solutions :
https://bbs.archlinux.org/
www.askubuntu.com
www.stackoverflow.com
https://unix.stackexchange.com
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 11:14:44 PM by Sashank999 »

TinyCoreLinux

« Reply #128 on: August 03, 2020, 11:41:29 PM »
@Sashank999
Thank you for your valuable advice, which I think will be very useful to me. :)

In China, most foreign websites (including the ones you listed) cannot be accessed due to national policy issues.(I think this may be the reason why the open source business in China has not been developing well, and the reason why the two countries have not been able to have deeper cultural exchanges. They have completely isolated themselves from the outside world.) :(

Therefore, VPN is required. There is no such client as v2rayN in TCL's repo. What should I do? Which VPN clients support the Vmess link?

TinyCoreLinux

« Reply #129 on: August 04, 2020, 08:31:34 PM »

TinyCoreLinux

« Reply #130 on: August 05, 2020, 04:28:00 AM »
TCL does not have a .bashrc profile. What should I do? Is this just the pursuit of uniqueness?
I feel like TCL is deliberately changing the name of the configuration file that some distributions adhere to in order to be unique. I wonder if there is any practical point in doing so?
I feel that trying too hard to be unique can cause problems for users because they don't know which configuration to use to configure the application.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 04:43:37 AM by NOOB »

Offline Sashank999

« Reply #131 on: August 05, 2020, 04:38:20 AM »
There is a standard .bashrc file in /usr/local/etc . You can copy it to home directory.

Code: [Select]
cp /usr/local/etc/bashrc ~/.bashrc.
bashrc is in multiple locations and it will be placed there form the bash.tcz when you load the bash.tcz (by custom startup scripts).
Locations :
/etc/skel/.bashrc
/root/.bashrc
/usr/local/etc/bashrc
/home/tc/.bashrc .
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 04:49:39 AM by Sashank999 »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: August 05, 2020, 04:42:11 AM »
There's also one in the bash extension.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #133 on: August 05, 2020, 04:44:00 AM »
Hi NOOB
Did you check  ~/.bashrc ?  I'm pretty sure it's part of the base installation.

TinyCoreLinux

« Reply #134 on: August 05, 2020, 05:13:53 AM »
@Rich
I searched the whole thing a few times and couldn't find the.bashrc file, but now I know why. It turns out that even the TCL configuration file was loaded by extension.
@Juanito & Sashank999
The reason I'm looking for.bashrc is because I want to permanently change the configuration of environment variables and terminals, because in my mind debian, Redhat, Suse and so on all use.bashrc configuration files... But I couldn't find.bashrc. Although I can find the.bashrc file with your help now, I still can't make environment variables and terminal configuration permanent. As long as I close the terminal, environment variables, aliases, terminal configuration data, etc., are all gone. Every time I open a new terminal, I have to reset them again...