WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: [Solved] Browser. Download Problem  (Read 5182 times)

Offline gwalther

[Solved] Browser. Download Problem
« on: July 25, 2020, 05:11:52 PM »
I am trying to use dCore focal64.  I am unable to find and download any internet browser.  I am connected to internet and can use sce-import to download sce- such as xorg-all, but cannot find and download successfully any internet browser..Firefox...chrome...opera...etc
Can anyone offer help?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 12:35:25 PM by Rich »

minux

Re: Browser. Download Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 05:23:57 PM »
Hi gwalther! As far as I know, dCore should support the installation of *.deb software. You can download the corresponding *.deb package from the Internet and install it with the corresponding package management command.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 05:25:32 PM by NOOB »

minux

« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 09:07:10 PM by Rich »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 05:51:53 PM »
Hi gwalther
Have you looked at this:
http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/doku.php?id=dcore:sce-import_command

One of the things listed there:
sce-import -c PKG      Search packages that contain desired package name.

So maybe this will find package names for firefox:
Code: [Select]
sce-import -c firefox
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 07:53:47 PM by Rich »

Offline gwalther

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 07:55:05 PM »
Hi Rich...yes I tried that and downloaded Firefox  using sce-import - r  -b but the sce- produced  after loading will not  start....produced error....sce- extension produced is far too small  to include  complete Firefox browser????

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 08:34:20 PM »
Hi gwalther
I've never used dCore, so you may have to wait for Jason W or another dCore user for a better answer.

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 10:14:02 PM »
gwalther - I noticed the same thing only I'm running the larger Focal version.

Ie, saw your problem, tried to download and run Firefox.  The system downloaded all it needed, succesfully converted it into an sce.  It even integrated into the openbox menu.  However trying it start it there, or at the commandline, as a normal user or as sudo, it just wouldn't fire.

I don't see it as a zombie process either.

Well, that's what RC's are for.

However, for kicks, I can run Dillo and am on the older Netsurf right this moment, which have no problems starting or integrating into openbox, but of course have their limitations too.

So something's up.  Rc territory my friend....

That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2020, 09:15:50 AM »
I have never had a problem on dCore-focal64 importing and running firefox, just using "sce-import firefox" and then loading and running it. 

I will test tonight from a new sce directory importing everything from scratch.  Sometimes there is a temporary issue in regards to the Debian/Ubuntu repo versus our DEBINX data we have on our server, the rsync script runs once each hour to refresh the DEBINX to the Packages.gz files on the Debian server. 

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2020, 05:07:57 PM »
I'll fess up - I tried using the menu-driven sce-import, (where you are presented the option to use ram or not) then searched for firefox and there is a likely a chance that the 200 different ways to build firefox that show up may be a local issue if you don't know exactly which libs, locales, and how some of the other choices fit together neatly as a puzzle.

Ie, breakage may be a user-driven event if you dont make the right choices.  At least on my part.

I'll try the far simpler example you show and get back later...

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2020, 05:47:26 PM »
Ah two things:

Tried to use sce-remove to remove the old firefox to start again.  No sce-remove found on the system, so I just manually forced the clean removal by creating my own /tmp/.removesce with firefox in it, and upon reboot was cleaned.

Is sce-remove deprecated?  No biggie, I just created my own /tmp/.removsce ..

Tried
sce-import firefox

Same result as before - sure you can choose among 200 variations of Firefox.  Then, which libnss version do you want?  And then ....  :)

So most likely user-breakage if you don't get all the hierarchical selections of how you want firefox to be built to work correctly. :)

Almost too much flexibility. :)  Understand I'm not complaining!

P.S. Shout out to nitram, sm8ps, and others who devoted their own time to creating good wiki docs ...

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2020, 05:49:48 PM »
Hi folks, thanks for reporting and testing, but what I suspected is what is surely the case.  My bad, I had forgot to put the updating of the DEBINX data on our server for dCore-focal64 in the script that syncs our DEBINX to Debian/Ubuntu Packages files automatically.  The script that I run manually had it in here, but not the automatic one.  Please try "sce-import firefox" again, and if you have an SCE directory, import and run sce-update to update the entire directory, that is important too.   

Code: [Select]

sce-import sce-update
sce-update -an

I tested the importing and running of firefox on a fresh dCorePlus-focal64 usb install and all is good now.  All those other package choices related to firefox that you see when running "sce-import firefox" are different locales and all, just plain firefox is the main one.  Also, there is the package dCore-firefox-installer that can be ran and be used to download and create a firefox-latest package of the latest firefox from the Mozilla site. 

Also, if a menu pops up during the downloading of the .deb packages in an sce-import session asking you to choose which .deb version, then something is wrong.  It may be an update Debian/Ubuntu made since our syncing of DEBINX data, so try again in a couple hours.  If the menu still pops up asking you to choose which .deb for a package, then please report it here.   Thanks.

Sce-remove - it is now an extension.  Anything that can be an extension is one, to save having to upload a lot of data and create another release candidate in the event of a change in that utility.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 05:52:00 PM by Jason W »

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2020, 07:58:55 PM »
Jason - everything works fine now.  Thanks so much.

I sce-imported a few additional sce tools.  I grok what you're doing by making some tools imports.

For Firefox, I simply chose the #1 option, and the rest was automatic.  I'm on it now.

If you feel up to it, go ahead and put an extra "about" menu in fluxbox, mentioning your/others work in bringing it to us !

Offline gwalther

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2020, 05:56:20 AM »
Jason...all is well now with me too, including Firefox.
Yes  I did notice originally a menu popping up during import sessions asking me to choose a version.  I went ahead and did the update procedure you suggested.  It updated a lot of my extensions.  No requests for version choices this time..

Please mark this report as SOLVED.!

Thanks so much...am really enjoying trying out dCore. 

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: [Solved] Browser. Download Problem
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2020, 12:36:33 PM »
Hi gwalther
... Please mark this report as SOLVED.! ...
Done. :)