WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: artificial intelligence; automatic HW identification and driver download  (Read 8690 times)

Offline xor

In terms of the philosophy of minimalism, it also needs to consume little resources in time and labor.

artificial intelligence; automatic HW identification and driver download

Especially for someone trying to learn this system for the first time, the processes of identifying non-universal, variable hardware and finding and installing drivers are unnecessary waste of time and effort.

artificial intelligence ; automatic identification of equipment, and downloading of drivers automatically

lshw
lspci
lsusb
lsblk
lscpu
lsmem

Can you write a simple and easy script that does everything right in this regard!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 10:47:57 PM by xor »

Offline Sashank999

That isn't AI. That is called scripting.

By saying equipment, what do you mean ? - Wireless Adapter Drivers ? GPU Drivers ? Display Drivers ? Keyboard Drivers ? Mice ?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 10:49:31 PM by Sashank999 »

Offline Sashank999

What ? I don't understand poetric language.

Offline xor

That isn't AI. That is called scripting.

all artificial intelligence are programs that do only what is desired.
a real artificial intelligence; does not respond to requests.

By saying equipment, what do you mean ? - Wireless Adapter Drivers ? GPU Drivers ? Display Drivers ? Keyboard Drivers ? Mice ?

any HW hardware equipment that needs driver downloads for use
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 11:01:38 PM by xor »

Offline xor

It is obvious that the problems I read mostly have problems with the video card driver and wifi modem driver!

Offline Sashank999

For downloading, we would need a wifi or ethernet. But if we have wifi problem and no ethernet, then that script would be of no use.

Offline xor

I'm not talking about a problem that has happened.

literally utopian solutions

I am trying to discuss the creation of the road map of the future :)

For downloading, we would need a wifi or ethernet. But if we have wifi problem and no ethernet, then that script would be of no use.

Offline ladnar

Re: artificial intelligence; automatic HW identification and driver download
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 06:30:24 PM »
Strong AI or Weak AI?

In my experience, most people are all talk and no action. And few people plan or think rationally about the subject. Of course there was AI winter, both 1 and 2, but now we have "A.I. irrational exuberance"; setting the scene for "A.I. Winter III".

But America DOES love a ridiculous sequel. Luckily the rest of the world continues to think rationally and logically about the coming Post-Moore's Law Era.

My name is Randall Meyer. I post here as ladnar or doctoranonymous. I also post on a 6502 forum. I think you would like some of my posts about raspberry pi, picore, tinycore, vision science, image sensors (CCDs and CMOS; Goldberg Polyhedra!), 6502, and StrongAI.

First step to any Strong AI is good hardware. Audio, Visual, Tactile, Olfactory and Gustatory. A good read of Locke or Hume is also a fine introduction. Impressions (perceptions?). Ideas. Memes. Mnemes.

Seems to me, the Linux community, in general, should work towards standardizing these "channels".

I am just a lowly biologist, with a smattering of Linux commands under my belt, and even I know a simple bash script could add a few more "standard directories" for archival sensory storage.

I call it Meyer's Standard Strong Artifical Intelligence Directories.  MSSAID.

SHEBANG!
mkdir vis.
mkdir aud
mkdir tact
mkdir olf
mkdir gust

And yet, no smellovision? No sniffer sensor? No taster sensor? The other sensory channels have good hardware, commercially available, cheap. These two channels? Not so much?

But of course, wallstreet wants a dumb-AI, because they are tired of tipping cabbies and uber-drivers, so, you know .... what wallstreet wants, wallstreet gets!

And a biologist like me, a person who has thought about Strong AI for (essentially) every waking adult second since 2001, incorporating his AI company in 2004, and since reduced to turning over couch cushions for change to buy robot parts and scientific equipment, well, a person like me is left wondering if the real changes, the necessary changes, will ever take place?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 06:52:18 PM by ladnar »

Offline ladnar

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 07:43:44 PM »
HINT: Surface Acoustic Wave Transducers ... Wave of the future, dude. Maybe?

Offline ladnar

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 09:33:58 PM »
At the risk of looking equal parts lazy and stupid,  here is my bash script which does essentially nothing, except outline the future.

I know how to start a bash script, but maybe not how to end it? I think you just save it with .sh at the end ; then change with chmod to be executable?

You'll see the last few lines I left indistinct? Who should be allowed to alter a Strong AI's sensory memories? I would argue "nobody", but for development purposes, ?maybe?, suggest "anybody" ! chmod 777 !

Code: [Select]

#! /bin/bash

cd /

mkdir /strongai

mkdir /strongai/opt

mkdir /strongai/aud

mkdir /strongai/tact

mkdir /strongai/olf

mkdir /strongai/gust

chdir -m 777 mydir

mkdir -m a=rwx [directories]

chdir -m 777 mydir

Most "standard" Linux folders are just a few letters? Maybe not "/strongai" ; maybe just "/sai" .

I dunno. Just a thought.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 09:36:25 PM by ladnar »

Offline Sashank999

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2020, 08:56:48 PM »
Well, I think AI looks like a too big thing for this. We could use lspci, lsusb, hwinfo, lshw to find them. But my question is how do you find what kind of the device it is when you don't have its driver ?
Once we know its category, then we can mess up the provides.db and then find the tczs required for the device to work.

Offline xor

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2020, 10:23:54 PM »
physical hardware has a unique ID number that allows them to be identified on their connection ports.

it's not the operating system that reads it
usually defines motherboard bios.

to access these contents

lshw
lspci
lsusb
lsblk
lscpu

Even MS windows recognizes hardware and requests drivers.

this is a usb camera, etc. etc.

https://usb-ids.gowdy.us/read/UD/
https://usb-ids.gowdy.us/read/UC/

http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/
http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PD/

with a logically simple coding

lshw => ID Xyz123 (usb port) => = usb (Xyz123) wifi.tcz (download.)

Well, I think AI looks like a too big thing for this. We could use lspci, lsusb, hwinfo, lshw to find them. But my question is how do you find what kind of the device it is when you don't have its driver ?
Once we know its category, then we can mess up the provides.db and then find the tczs required for the device to work.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 10:31:44 PM by xor »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2020, 11:46:30 PM »
Hi xor
... with a logically simple coding ...
Since you think it's simple, go ahead and code it.

Offline ladnar

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2020, 11:14:35 PM »
I am definitely an outsider, and just a lowly biologist, but YOUR UNIVERSE IS HUGE! I mean, the universe of computer scientists. But its MY UNIVERSE too!? Technically? I live here, and witness it, in all its insane glory.

What I mean to say, There is more hardware in heaven and earth than are dreamt of on your coffee break. So as long as, "ahem", "the free market" is in charge of , "ahem", "innovation", standards will be lax, and new standards will be invented  ('ahem", "pushed"), and perfect systems to identify perfect devices in a perfect world will remain elusive.

But, xor, as rich suggested, if it seems simple, give it a whirl.

(I am no coder" but I almost made a useful bash script today. Got hung up on some simple permissions stuff, but I ironed it out by violating Asimov's Laws of Robotics--Androidics?Gynoidics?Anthropoidics? It seems, that if I just neglect the rights of Artificial Life, I can chmod 777 and let the whole world monkey with their code; manipulate their memories? Poor, AI? Can't exist without giving up its freedoms through a simple chmod 777 command! But, then again, many of us Linux freaks are FOSS/GNU/Copyleft freedom fighters, so, permissions all around, I guess?!)

I see the thread has moved for being OT. I blame myself. Here is my code; I tried it out on a fresh piCore11, today, and it works. I added it to my bootlist and filetool and ran the backup command. I don't really know what all that stuff means, but it helps it be persistent. Maybe I could learn that TCZ thing and make it an "extension", or whatever? Here is my code:

Code: [Select]

#! /bin/bash

cd /

sudo chmod 777 /

mkdir -m 777 /sai/misc

mkdir -m 777 /optic

mkdir -m 777 /aud

mkdir -m 777 /tact

mkdir -m 777 /olf

mkdir -m 777 /gust

Natural intelligence has a "dedicated, standardized", "hardware" (of sorts), determined (partially) by DNA, and thus, cells, tissues, organs, systems, etc.

All the "fun" AI I want to deal with, already knows its hardware, even if I--and my more grandiose, less "driver" software--haven't got a clue.

(I'm so "green" I thought MAC addresses were always hardware specific; i.e. unique identifiers, to specific machines; but I forced two of my pi zeros to have the same ethernet/hw adress/MAC address (twelve hex characters, colon separated pairs) yesterday. Good thing I was alone when I figured it out, because I was kind of embarrassed  I didn't know this?)

[Edit: Nope. I checked my notes. I forced one board to have a different ethernet/hwaddr/MACaddr, for two separate sessions. The other board kept its MAcaddr. for several boots. Bad memory; my wet chemistry. Data, data, everywhere, yet not a thought to think!]
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 11:45:42 PM by ladnar »

Offline ladnar

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2020, 11:34:34 PM »
Here is an On-Topic comment. "cat /proc/cpuinfo" tells me my serial number on my pi zero boards.

And, come to think of it, I think I did read about IP spoofing, and maybe MAC address spoofing too? So maybe I am not as "green" as I thought?

Is there no blkid on piCore? And isn't lspci for a pci bus? I guess for tinycore thats useful, but I am a piCore guy.

(Maybe it's time I commit to Tiny Core. I have an extra laptop that is collecting dust with its crappy, constantly updating Windows 10; constantly threatening to freeze the device with every new and useless, forced upload. A scam to get me to buy a new laptop? Perhaps? Maybe I could look into a dual boot: Windows 10 and tinycore?). Oh look., I'm OT again. It doesn't take much!