WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Do we have individual Wireless Drivers for dCore ?  (Read 6049 times)

Offline Sashank999

Do we have individual Wireless Drivers for dCore ?
« on: July 20, 2020, 02:11:59 AM »
Hi !

I am migrating from TCL to dCore. I have installed kernel and initrd and successfully booted into CLI. I know the wireless driver that my Wi-Fi card uses (iwlwifi). How can I get and install only that driver ?

Offline xor

Offline Sashank999

Re: Do we have individual Wireless Drivers for dCore ?
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 04:43:21 AM »
Hi xor,

I know those sces. Inside the wireless.tce, there are drivers for all the devices but I don't want all of them. I want only the iwlwifi driver.

Offline xor

« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 06:57:54 AM by xor »

Offline xor

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 10:17:43 AM »
I tried dcore, it's very bloated and doesn't look easy like tcl.

maybe this could be a solution for the steam project :)

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,2325.0.html

Hi xor,

I know those sces. Inside the wireless.tce, there are drivers for all the devices but I don't want all of them. I want only the iwlwifi driver.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 11:09:19 AM »
You don't need the wireless.sce premade extension if you want small size, wireless.sce is made for beginners to get up and going easily.  And has all available firmware, that is the reason for it's size. 

The two minimal packages you need are wireless-tools from ubuntu, the package itself is 299.0 Kb.  Also the wireless-5.4.3-tinycore64 package. 

The wireless-5.4.3-tinycore64.tcz package in Core is 3.6 MB, the wireless-5.4.3-tinycore64.tar.gz package in dCore is 3.8 MB, not a whole lot of difference in the size of the modules package.  There will be some size addition to wireless-tools.sce when imported, it depends on libiw30. 

You can make a kernel modules sce out of the files you want from wireless-5.4.3-tinycore64.tar.gz for smaller size, just make sure you include any needed module dependencies.

EDIT:  At home on dCore now, it appears the iwlwifi.ko module depends on the cfg80211.ko module, from looking at /lib/modules/5.4.3-tinycore64/modules.dep file.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 05:27:12 PM by Jason W »

Offline Sashank999

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 07:06:03 PM »
Hi Jason W,

I already have wireless-5.4.3-tinycore.sce in my dCore x64.

I think that you are saying me to compile the iwlwifi driver. Where can I get the source ?

What tools should I have ? The traditional autotools or some other builders ?

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 05:45:14 AM »
Hi Sashank999.

No compiling is needed, just extract the needed files from wireless-5.4.3-tinycore64.sce and create a new extension with it. 

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 05:32:04 PM »
I am on dCore-focal64 now, below is an example of how to make an extension of the wireless modules you need.  Assuming you have wireless-5.4.3-tinycore64.sce in your /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/sce directory.  I was able to create and load the resulting extension with these steps.  The sudos may not be needed on every step, but it works on all.   The resulting iwlwifi-modules-5.4.3-tinycore64.sce is 228 K in size.

Code: [Select]
cd /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/sce
sudo mkdir rootfs
sudo mount wireless-5.4.3-tinycore64.sce rootfs/
sudo mkdir -p newextension/usr/local/lib/modules/5.4.3-tinycore64/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/intel/iwlwifi/
sudo mkdir -p newextension/usr/local/lib/modules/5.4.3-tinycore64/kernel/net/wireless/

sudo cp rootfs/usr/local/lib/modules/5.4.3-tinycore64/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/intel/iwlwifi/iwlwifi.ko newextension/usr/local/lib/modules/5.4.3-tinycore64/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/intel/iwlwifi/

sudo cp rootfs/usr/local/lib/modules/5.4.3-tinycore64/kernel/net/wireless/cfg80211.ko newextension/usr/local/lib/modules/5.4.3-tinycore64/kernel/net/wireless/

sudo mksquashfs newextension iwlwifi-modules-5.4.3-tinycore64.sce -noappend

EDIT:  Also make sure to create an md5sum file for the extension so it will load with sce-load:

md5sum iwlwifi-modules-5.4.3-tinycore64.sce > iwlwifi-modules-5.4.3-tinycore64.sce.md5.txt

« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 07:05:19 PM by Jason W »

Offline Sashank999

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2020, 04:30:02 AM »
Oh. Looks like I framed the question wrongly. My bad  :-[ .

I mean the drivers. Instead of getting all those other firmware or drivers like amdgpu, kaweth, etc. Are those drivers available as individual packages like firmware-iwlwifi in TCL ?

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2020, 05:35:34 AM »
Ok.  In Ubuntu, they put all the firmware in one package called Linux-firmware.  But Debian has a package called firmware-iwlwifi.  So in Debian dCores just do the below command:

sce-import firmware-iwlwifi

Ubuntu based dCores can fetch that Debian package and make an extension of it.  Do the below, I am not on Linux now but it should be correct:

wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-iwlwifi_20200421-1_all.deb
mkdir rootfs
sudo ar x firmware-iwlwifi_20200421-1_all.deb
sudo tar xvf data.tar.gz -C rootfs  ###  May be data.tar.bz2 or data.tar.xz, just use the appropriate file name.
sudo mksquashfs rootfs firmware-iwlwifi.sce -noappend

Offline Sashank999

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2020, 10:55:03 PM »
Hi Jason W,

I made the firmware-iwlwifi from the deb and in dmesg it says that it found my adapter.

Where is the wifi.sh sce ?

And also, I downloaded the focal fossa version. Is it a beta version ?

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2020, 11:29:22 AM »
Hi Sashank999.  Ubuntu focal fossa is their current release.  dCore-focal64 is in the release candidates area here, release candidate simply is where the current development is being done.

wifi.sh is in the wifi package:

sce-import wifi

you also would need the wireless-tools package. 

Offline Sashank999

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2020, 09:36:22 PM »
Sorry about my late reply.

But how do I do sce-import with no wi-fi connection ?

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2020, 12:57:17 PM »
Use dCoreplus-focal64 to set up a minimal system importing the wireless kernel modules, wireless-tools, wifi packages and whatever else is needed in your sce directory.  Then you can boot with dCore-focal64  using the same sce directory.