WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: using core for first time  (Read 5971 times)

Offline tadycaster

Re: using core for first time
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2020, 03:16:04 PM »
I have just noticed that the VLC icon has appeared on the desktop next to the wifi icon. I double click it and nothing happens

Offline tadycaster

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2020, 04:48:37 PM »
I have just tried rebooting the machine
Soon as it say loading extentions on the text/ shell. The screen goes blank and there is no desktop present!

aus9

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2020, 07:43:16 PM »
part 1
My intentions hear are to run it as an mp4 player that will connect to my PA/ sound system or to use it as a video recorder using a USB web cam and an external USB audio interface (know as a sound card).

If you can afford it....decent usb web cams come with an inbuilt mic....but I am not sure how you need sound input setup. (Just saying)

are you attempting to have surround sound? Is that why you have bought an usb sound server as inbuilt is bad?

part 2
Rich is a nicer person than me. I am aussie so tend to be blunter.

Have you read the concepts page yet?
http://tinycorelinux.net/concepts.html

I would urge you to consider....not running in cloud mode but run in mount mode, also known as running with a persistent tce directory. It means any TCEs you download go to a permanent storage device such as a hard drive or usb stick etc. Cloud mode means if you reboot your PC all downloads are lost, unless you were sneaky enough to know how to move them to a storage device.....and that is messy and gets messier with more downloads.

therefore
Soon as it say loading extentions on the text/ shell. The screen goes blank and there is no desktop present!

This is normal if you did not label your discs and have booted the core (smallest) disc

Not normal if you booted coreplus as a disc.

Its not clear to me what you have rebooted to in the past so wait to see what Rich makes of my efforts  8)

3) One of the ways to achieve persistent tce dir is to boot with a bootcode but I am reluctant to give an example until Rich resolves your current issue

Offline Sashank999

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2020, 07:53:47 PM »
I think you have icons in your desktop at the bottom. Try restarting your system. Then right click the icons at the bottom, which makes them refresh. Then, click the orange coloured triangle (or cone) icon. It will start VLC.

If it didn't start, then try opening a terminal window and type vlc and hit enter. Then you may get some error messages. Report them here and we can provide a solution.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2020, 07:56:18 PM »
Hi aus9
... I would urge you to consider....not running in cloud mode but run in mount mode, also known as running with a persistent tce directory. . ...
Not an issue. The OP installed to his hard drive.

Offline tadycaster

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2020, 08:02:40 PM »
yes I did install to HDD and was not running the live O.S from the CD disk
Still dont know why it would not boot up properly and I only got a blank screen though

I noticed in the link above it mentions boot codes and to press F1 2 3 or 4
Would this of made any different?

Anyway it is a bit to late with that machine now as I am halfway though installing linux mint to it. So will have to use another spare machine for this linux core plus. but would like to know why I got a blank screen first before I proceed to another machine

Thank

PS the external sound card is plugged into a mixer desk with guitars keyboards and all sorts running into it

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2020, 08:16:38 PM »
Hi tadycaster
... plus. but would like to know why I got a blank screen first before I proceed to another machine ...
It seems that  vlc  depends on  Xorg-7.7-3d.tcz.  The default install uses  Xvesa.tcz.  Right off the bat, installing 2 different  "X"  servers
is going to cause problems. In addition, setting up  Xorg-7.7-3d.tcz  can be tricky on some hardware.

Prior to installing  vlc,  you need to:
1. Install and setup  pulseaudio.tcz.
2. Install and setup  Xorg-7.7-3d.tcz.

Item number 1 is mentioned in the  .info  file. Item number 2 was not mentioned in the  .info  file.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2020, 10:42:08 PM »
The vlc3 (recursive) dep on libva2 is what pulls in Xorg-7.7-3d.

From some quick testing, vlc3 will work with either Xorg-7.7 or Xorg-7.7-3d.

Given that libva2 seems to require both Xorg-7.7-3d and intel-vaapi-driver as run time deps to work, I wonder if it might be better to use only libva2's direct deps in it's dep file so that vlc3, and possibly other, qt-5.x programs can run without Xorg-7.7-3d?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2020, 06:46:36 AM »
Hi Juanito
...I wonder if it might be better to use only libva2's direct deps in it's dep file so that vlc3, and possibly other, qt-5.x programs can run without Xorg-7.7-3d?
Making Xorg-7.7-3d optional rather than mandatory (if possible) would be nice. I don't think  qt-5.x  really has anything to do with it since
libav2  doesn't show up in any of the  qt-5.x  trees.

These are the extensions that all eventually depend on  libav2  at some level:
Code: [Select]
audacious-dev.tcz
audacious-plugins.tcz
audacious.tcz
audacity-dev.tcz
audacity-doc.tcz
audacity-locale.tcz
audacity.tcz
ffmpeg4-dev.tcz
ffmpeg4.tcz
flowblade.tcz
freerdp2-dev.tcz
freerdp2.tcz
gst-libav.tcz
intel-vaapi-driver.tcz
libavcodec4.tcz
libavdevice4.tcz
libavfilter4.tcz
libavformat4.tcz
libavresample4.tcz
libavutil4.tcz
libpostproc4.tcz
libswresample4.tcz
libswscale4.tcz
libva2-dev.tcz
libva2-utils.tcz
libva2.tcz
mlt-dev.tcz
mlt.tcz
mplayer-cli.tcz
totem-dev.tcz
totem-gir.tcz
totem.tcz
vlc3-dev.tcz
vlc3.tcz

On a side note,  audacity-doc.tcz  should not even be showing up in that list. It has a  .dep  file that lists  audacity.tcz  as a dependency.
-doc  extensions should never depend on the extensions they document (in my opinion).

Offline tadycaster

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2020, 07:51:19 AM »
Prior to installing  vlc,  you need to:
1. Install and setup  pulseaudio.tcz.
2. Install and setup  Xorg-7.7-3d.tcz.

I found another machine and I have installed the core plus CD (set to defult) the same way as before
I have gone to the app program and downloaded or installed both of those files by selecting the "on boot go"

Please note there was no
Xorg-7.7-3d.tcz.

Should I now install the VLC player?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2020, 11:39:52 PM »
Making Xorg-7.7-3d optional rather than mandatory (if possible) would be nice. I don't think  qt-5.x  really has anything to do with it since
libav2  doesn't show up in any of the  qt-5.x  trees.

I made a quick test with the x86_64 vlc after adjusting the libva2 dep file - it gave a non-obvious segfault, which was eventually fixed by loading libvdpau - this may take a while...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 11:44:17 PM by Juanito »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2020, 10:54:38 PM »
deps adjusted, but I'm almost certain to have missed something...