WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: OK to pull out memory card once the system boots up?  (Read 8202 times)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: OK to pull out memory card once the system boots up?
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2020, 06:16:13 PM »
Hi ashfame
...  TCZ files are TinyCore extensions, right? ...
Yes.

... which in this case is parted and utils for ubuntu, ...
I didn't realize you were planning on doing this on a Ubuntu box. In that case, watch out for file ownership issues. In Tinycore
user:group  are typically  tc:staff  when they aren't  root:root  or  root:staff. Any files you create on the Ubuntu box will probably
have the wrong  user:group  attributes. Where that might cause problems, I don't know.

Offline ashfame

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2020, 02:02:56 AM »
... which in this case is parted and utils for ubuntu, ...
I didn't realize you were planning on doing this on a Ubuntu box. In that case, watch out for file ownership issues. In Tinycore
user:group  are typically  tc:staff  when they aren't  root:root  or  root:staff. Any files you create on the Ubuntu box will probably
have the wrong  user:group  attributes. Where that might cause problems, I don't know.

Thanks for the heads up! For now, I am using root user on a fresh Ubuntu VPS to generate the disk image before I download the image and write it to SD Card using my Macbook Pro, which is where I use the in-built card reader.

My primary machine is a gaming Windows PC though. As I recall reading, using a root user would not mess up the file permissions but you are right, it might cause an issue without me realizing it, when editing files on partition 1. Perhaps it would be better if I do this on a TinyCore x86 in a VM on my windows machine. That should totally cover the base for file permissions concern, right?

[EDIT]: Fixed quote tags.  Rich
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 05:31:08 AM by Rich »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2020, 05:41:12 AM »
Hi ashfame
... Perhaps it would be better if I do this on a TinyCore x86 in a VM on my windows machine. That should totally cover the base for file permissions concern, right?
That would be fine.