WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: MicroCore using YUMI boots on black screen scattered with colored stripes  (Read 6328 times)

Offline Lantha

Hello everyone,
I wanted to multiboot Knoppix and MicroCore through YUMI.
The Yumi menu works fine(attachment 1), I can run Knoppix from it, but when I try running Microcore, all I get is these screens (attachment 2 and 3)
So it's not a black screen with underscore problem, it's another bug I didn't see anywhere else : black screen scattered with many small colored stripes and a big pixel mess on the top of the screen which all stays indefinitely on screen.
Any idea what is causing that ?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Sorry for the bad image quality, I had to compress them a lot.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline PDP-8

I've experienced that, but it's not related to YUMI.

Try adding this kernel parameter:

Code: [Select]
intel_iommu=off
You can test of course temporarily making an edit at the TC boot menu.  To make it permanent, you'll want to edit the appropriate grub.cfg file on the stick.  As a multibooter, you'll need to drill-down the tree to find the appropriate one since there are many. :)  Typically

../../MULTIBOOT/TinyCorePure64/EFI/BOOT/GRUB/grub.cfg

You'll find it.  I'm going off memory here.  You'll recognize the standard TC grub menu choices if you are in the proper grub.cfg. :)

Yumi-Uefi in it's latest version tends to munge the kernel filepath, and it looks like you may have already fixed that.

Because of that, I can also recommend another similar in function that doesn't munge the filepath adding to headaches for those less familiar with TC to spot stuff like that

MultiBoot USB 9.2.0
http://multibootusb.org/page_download/

As always, using these 3rd party tools means we're on our own, but in this case, hope this helps.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 02:24:35 PM by PDP-8 »
That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth

Offline Lantha

I've experienced that, but it's not related to YUMI.

Try adding this kernel parameter:

intel_iommu=off
You can test of course temporarily making an edit at the TC boot menu.  To make it permanent, you'll want to edit the appropriate grub.cfg file on the stick.  As a multibooter, you'll need to drill-down the tree to find the appropriate one since there are many. :)  Typically

../../MULTIBOOT/TinyCorePure64/EFI/BOOT/GRUB/grub.cfg

You'll find it.  I'm going off memory here.  You'll recognize the standard TC grub menu choices if you are in the proper grub.cfg. :)

Yumi-Uefi in it's latest version tends to munge the kernel filepath, and it looks like you may have already fixed that.

Because of that, I can also recommend another similar in function that doesn't munge the filepath adding to headaches for those less familiar with TC to spot stuff like that

MultiBoot USB 9.2.0
http://multibootusb.org/page_download/

As always, using these 3rd party tools means we're on our own, but in this case, hope this helps.

It doesn't work or I 'm doing this wrong.
In the Microcore ISO there isn't any "EFI/BOOT/GRUB" folder structure, there is just a grub.cfg in "multiboot/core-11.1". Is it this one that needs modification ?
If yes, where do I need to paste the line you gave me ?
Thanks in advance for your reply
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 04:07:08 PM by Lantha »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Hi Lantha
... If yes, where do I need to paste the line you gave me ? ...
If there's a line containing something similar to this:
linux /boot/vmlinuzplace it at the end of that line. The path to  vmlinuz  may be something other than  /boot/.

Offline Lantha

WOW, it works :D
Thank you so much PDP-8 and Rich ;D

Offline PDP-8

Rich should get most of the credit, since he was the one who tipped me off to intel_iommu=off in the first place!

Heh, the funny thing about YUMI when you try to multiboot just core, is that you have to purposely rename the core iso to tinycore in order for the yumi dropdown to recognize it.  So by this point your inner-hacker is in charge and be ready to expect the non-standard. :)

Sooo, knowing about this purposeful misnaming, the grub you want to edit would be at

.../multiboot/TinyCore-11.1/grub.cfg
(even though in reality it is core, but that is how you educated yumi)

When purposely burning Core, it does not munge the filepath inside grub like you might see with CorePure64.

So yeah, always have to keep your head on a swivel when dealing with these 3rd party tools. :)

Offline Lantha

What would be the best way to install Microcore from windows 10 on a live usb flash drive then ? I saw that Core2usb isn't maintained anymore... Is there an all automatic alternative or a software better than YUMI to do it ?

Offline Lantha

... also, does Microcore run backup by default at shutdown or reboot ? Because it doesn't on my iso, I have to type "filetool.sh -b" otherwise my modifications are not kept after next boot.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Hi Lantha
Try this. Add:
[ "$BACKUP" -eq 1 ] && filetool.sh -bto your  /opt/shutdown.sh  file where it says  "# put user shutdown commands here".

Then shutdown your system like this:
exitcheck.sh

Offline PDP-8

Rich's solution is awesome!  And it point to the right way to do things upon shutdown.

I prefer the flexibility of doing it manually with filetool.sh -b.  That way, when I totally mess up my existing system, I just throw all my changes away by NOT using the backup and simply reboot.

However, just to save keystrokes, I recycled the "shutdown" command that I was used to from years ago, and put that into a shell script named shutdown.  I made it executable of course with chmod +x

filetool.sh -b
sudo poweroff

So now if I use the shutdown script, it backs up before powering off.  If I don't, I start from where I was before I rebooted.

Offline PDP-8

What would be the best way to install Microcore from windows 10 on a live usb flash drive then ? I saw that Core2usb isn't maintained anymore... Is there an all automatic alternative or a software better than YUMI to do it ?

Heh, the best way is a matter of opinion, and some angst. :)

For a Windows-10 only standpoint, I would stick with Yumi (or Yumi-Uefi).  It is still maintained.  MultiBootUSB 9.2.0 is no longer maintained, although it works on Windows or Linux, but for now we'll stick to Yumi for windows-only environment.

If you don't want to "trick" it for recognizing and burning core only, go ahead and splurge on the TinyCore iso, and choose command-line only when prompted. :)

Sure, the ideal way is to format, partition, and install a bootloader manually.

Which can be done for sure.  But ah, compared to burning a CD, I'll bet that 99% of users merely right-click and "burn iso", use Xfburn, or something like that to get a bootable cd.

But many of us remember the days of burning through and entire spindle stack of CD's when using this handy tool - Xorriso:

http://www.gnu.org/software/xorriso/

Easy peasy! :) :)

Offline Lantha

Everything seems to be working fine now, thank you guys  ;D