WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: UEFI Bionic 32bit works on my 64bit UEFI-ONLY box(es)  (Read 3875 times)

Offline PDP-8

UEFI Bionic 32bit works on my 64bit UEFI-ONLY box(es)
« on: July 02, 2020, 04:29:06 AM »
Just some feedback for those who burn iso's to usb sticks with 3rd party tools for uefi-only machines.  Got Bionic 32 bit uefi iso booting on my 64bit boxes easy- but there's a catch.

Note: my target machines for this dcore test are TRUE uefi-only and have NO legacy/csm options.  All I had to do was disable secure-boot, which is NOT an issue.  Easily disabled.  And that's the only choice to be made.

However,  trying to just "dd" the 32-bit Bionic iso (from 20 Feb), or using 3rd party tools like Etcher, will burn the uefi iso, but it will NEVER show up in your boot list on a true uefi-only machine.  This is how most modern users will attempt to check iso's out these days.  Of course, if you know how to format, partition, and grub your way to happiness, feel free to do so.

RUFUS easily handled the uefi iso.  I used the latest ver 3.11.  The only thing you have to do with the uefi Bionic iso, is choose the GPT partitioning method dropdown (not the default mbr), AND choose the default of ISO burn, and not dd when prompted later.

TADA!  Dcore is now recognized as a proper boot option on the uefi-only machines, and when it boots you are presented with the nice rectangular blue dCore boot menu.  If you find yourself dropped into a grub commandline, then you have a box with legacy options.

This was tested on an Intel NUC, where I have totally disabled legacy boot, and on a modern Acer laptop and an inexpensive hockey-puck Wintel8 Pro - neither of which have any sort of legacy/csm boot options whatsoever.  Just disable secure-boot.  Done.  I test TC and dCore on numerous devices.

Other than that, for the Acer, I had to change my bios to make the trackpad "basic" instead of the default "advanced", and I had a working mouse.  But that's not related to boot and a different thread.  Heh, but when that happens, I sure could have used a vt to do a proper shutdown. :)

Anyway, it was fast and easy to get dCore back up and operational for my uefi-only boxes, and now have to dig out my notes to get my dCore-mojo back. :)

That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth

Offline PDP-8

Re: UEFI Bionic 32bit works on my 64bit UEFI-ONLY box(es)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 01:15:14 PM »
Oops - sorry I should have appended this to the existing thread rather than here:

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,23052.0.html

However, I think it's easy to make assumptions about uefi-only hardware if you don't actually test on uefi-only hardware, which I do now. :)
That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: UEFI Bionic 32bit works on my 64bit UEFI-ONLY box(es)
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 05:21:17 PM »
Hi PDP-8.  Can you test the new dCore-focal64 ISOs that are both UEFI and BIOS boot compatible on your UEFI only machine, using the dd command to write it to a usb?  It works that way  for both BIOS and UEFI boot on my hybrid UEFI/BIOS box, and I would appreciate it if you would test it on your setup.