WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: using core for first time  (Read 5968 times)

Offline tadycaster

using core for first time
« on: June 28, 2020, 12:43:38 PM »
Hi
I was just about to give up on this forum as I could not pass verification but tried one more time and could read the text so Im hear now (but I am sure there are many many many more who have missed out on joining hear)

Anyway, I was trying out how to convert an iso file because everything with linux has to be more complicated then need be and therefor all linux download are iso file

So I picked the smallest one which was called core (11mb) http://tinycorelinux.net/downloads.html and I have sucsessfully downloaded and unziped it and burn to a CD.

I booted an old machine up with (a Dell dimension 3000) it, and it gave me the command prompt
Anyway I have no idea what to do with it, no idea how to install it to the hard drive never mind anything ells. so therfore the OS no good!

My question is; do you think tiny core and core plus would be suitable for me. I want something the will easy install on my old machine (as I know linux mint are no good all 64bit) and I can easy install programs on it there for after

Well to be honest all I want to use it for is eaither an mp4 player (so will need plug and play drivers for the sound card) which I can install the linux VLC player for

Or use it as a video recorder with external audio interface. But I do not have any linux driver for it

Any thoughts please

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: using core for first time
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 01:59:28 PM »
Hi tadycaster
Welcome to the forum. If you have a wired network connection, I suggest using the  Tinycore  ISO. If you only have wireless
network access, you will need the  CorePlus  ISO.

After it boots up you should see a desktop with icons along the bottom. As you slide the mouse pointer over each icon it will
display text telling you what it is. You want to click on the icon that says  TC_Install. If you are using the  Tinycore  ISO you may
have to click on the  Apps  icon and use it to install  tc-install-GUI.tcz  first.

Then continue here:
http://tinycorelinux.net/install.html

Offline tadycaster

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 03:19:16 PM »
Hi tadycaster
Welcome to the forum. If you have a wired network connection, I suggest using the  Tinycore  ISO. If you only have wireless
network access, you will need the  CorePlus  ISO.

After it boots up you should see a desktop with icons along the bottom. As you slide the mouse pointer over each icon it will
display text telling you what it is. You want to click on the icon that says  TC_Install. If you are using the  Tinycore  ISO you may
have to click on the  Apps  icon and use it to install  tc-install-GUI.tcz  first.

Then continue here:
http://tinycorelinux.net/install.html
I have downloaded and burn to disk the largest one
I boot up my CD. No I do not see a desk top or anything like that at all!
All I see is a cursor arrow based menu called "core plus networking instulation and remastering" with all the options of "boot core plus with...."

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 07:20:06 PM »
Hi tadycaster
Select the one that says  "Boot Core Plus with default FLWM topside"  and hit  Enter.

Offline tadycaster

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 09:17:48 PM »
Well I selected the first option you surgested and followed the instructions listed in your link; although they did differ slightly due to version and boot type of O.S; Given the bad experances I have had with mint and ubuntu; I am remarkably surprised at how easy and quick it has managed to install and in such a shot space of time (less then 5 minutes)

I have managed to reboot my machine running the core+ from the hard drive and I see a running desk top as one should expect

Now my next question would be, how do I operate they system? I can see there is a task bar at the bottom of the screen for things like control panel, programs and wifi.

I need to install an mp4 player lie the linux VLC player, If I was to download it from another machine can I install it hear?

For that to work I also need a working sound card. I know there is a working sound card inside of the moterboard as it worked when win 7 was installed. is there a way to check it please?

Are there any video recording programs out there (simular to the likes of windows movie maker) that will run on this OS. Video recording by means of a web cam and external audio interface (not too bothered about video editing as I have other computer for this but would still be a bonus)

And finaly since as the last icon in the list says wifi (not to bothered about this one but would be a bonus) There is no wifi card on this machine, only a land card (i think) that plugs direct into the telephone socket. I know this card dose work as before with windows 7 it did. Is there a way to activate this please?

Thanks
TC

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 09:28:19 PM »
Hi tadycaster
... only a land card (i think) that plugs direct into the telephone socket. I know this card dose work as before with windows 7 it did. Is there a way to activate this please? ...
Click on the  Apps  icon. When the  Apps  utility opens, click on the button  Apps->Cloud (Remote)->Browse.  If the left panel of the
Apps  utility gets populated with a list of  .tcz  entries then you are connected to the internet. That list is the extensions that are
available.

aus9

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 11:00:30 PM »
only a land card (i think) that plugs direct into the telephone socket.

Lets confirm what you really have please.....Describe the bit that goes into the wall socket.

a dial up cable connector to a telephone wall socket (not a network socket) in Australia is less than 1 cm wide and has 4 copper connectors that should be visible.

a ethernet cable connector ( has different categories )
but tends to be about 1.1 cm wide and may have 8 copper connectors that should be visible.

If you are not sure measure them or photo them.

According to this link....you have both

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-3000_setup%20guide_en-us.pdf

Look at the image....it claims the ethernet cable is next to the usb ports
it claims the telephone cable is on a pci card....below the usb ports.

I am not sure you can buy a dial up modem any more, so if you truly want to use a telephone cable
you will need to use hopefully any PPP dialler hardware in your PC

Let us know please.

Leaping ahead, I have not read your manual....but lets hope you mean ethernet.

2) If not, do you have another laptop/ android or iphone.... that connects to the internet you could use as a wifi hotspot?

« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 11:29:15 PM by aus9 »

Offline tadycaster

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 08:23:10 AM »
According to this link....you have both

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-3000_setup%20guide_en-us.pdf
I have looked at the link and looked at the back of the computer and it is MISSING NUMBER 4; A MODEM which is a PCI card/ slot. It dose however have NUMBER 3 A NETWORK DEVICE which is intergrated/ soldered into the motherboard. Therefore this would of been the device I used last year to connect up to the net

Offline tadycaster

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 08:37:44 AM »
only a land card (i think) that plugs direct into the telephone socket.

Lets confirm what you really have please.....Describe the bit that goes into the wall socket.

a dial up cable connector to a telephone wall socket (not a network socket) in Australia is less than 1 cm wide and has 4 copper connectors that should be visible.

a ethernet cable connector ( has different categories )
but tends to be about 1.1 cm wide and may have 8 copper connectors that should be visible.

If you are not sure measure them or photo them.

No working cambera at the moment. But the connector on the end of the cable is 11mm wide with 8 copper strip connectors

Offline tadycaster

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 08:41:23 AM »

Leaping ahead, I have not read your manual....but lets hope you mean ethernet.

2) If not, do you have another laptop/ android or iphone.... that connects to the internet you could use as a wifi hotspot?
Yes I think it is called ethernet. I am connected to the internet at the moment on a different PC

Offline tadycaster

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2020, 09:57:28 AM »
Hi tadycaster
... only a land card (i think) that plugs direct into the telephone socket. I know this card dose work as before with windows 7 it did. Is there a way to activate this please? ...
Click on the  Apps  icon. When the  Apps  utility opens, click on the button  Apps->Cloud (Remote)->Browse.  If the left panel of the
Apps  utility gets populated with a list of  .tcz  entries then you are connected to the internet. That list is the extensions that are
available.
I have followed your steps you listed above and I can confirm that I do see a populated list of .tcz in the left hand colum under the title of select remote extention

So presuming I am connected to the internet now. What would be the next step please?
Dose the system have an inbuilt program that allows you to connect to the internet in the way of a web browser. Or will such programs need to be installed?

PS on the subject of install programs. I know the vast majority of people installing this O.S will be using it for the purpose of connecting to the internet. But since as I have a different working PC connected to the internet, I do not need internet connection with this linux core O.S. (all though it is a good back up)

My intentions hear are to run it as an mp4 player that will connect to my PA/ sound system or to use it as a video recorder using a USB web cam and an external USB audio interface (know as a sound card).

So dose the O.S have programs allready instaled to do this or do I need to install them?
Thanks
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 10:06:02 AM by tadycaster »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2020, 12:02:02 PM »
Hi tadycaster
If you know the name of the package you are looking for, you can enter it to the right of the search button. Then click  Search  to see
if it's available. If it shows up in the left panel, click on it to highlight it. The panel to the right will show some information about it. Read
it because it may contain some notes about usage or installation. If you found what you are looking for, click the  Go  button. The
extension and all of its dependencies will be installed. Here are some of the available audio players that I'm aware of:
ffmpeg4.tcz
mpg123.tcz
vlc3.tcz

You can also use Google to search for  linux audio players.  Then open this to see which ones are currently available:
http://tinycorelinux.net/11.x/x86/tcz/

Offline tadycaster

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2020, 01:18:41 PM »
If you know the name of the package you are looking for, you can enter it to the right of the search button.

????

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2020, 01:39:12 PM »
Hi tadycaster
If you know the name of the package you are looking for, you can enter it to the right of the search button.

????
... I have followed your steps you listed above and I can confirm that I do see a populated list of .tcz in the left hand colum under the title of select remote extention

So presuming I am connected to the internet now. What would be the next step please? ...
Is  vlc  what you are looking for? Then enter  vlc  in the text box to the right of the  Search  button of the  Apps  utility.

Offline tadycaster

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2020, 02:18:46 PM »
Is  vlc  what you are looking for? Then enter  vlc  in the text box to the right of the  Search  button of the  Apps  utility.
Yes VCL is one of the programs I had in mind for running mp4 files.
So if I follow the same proceedure as before with the internet card (or what ever its called)
I double click on the app icon which gives me a diolog box called "app- regular application .tcz"
Then I click apps, cloud (remote), brows and as before the right hand box show up a directory

In that below directory i find "vlc3.tcz" and click on it and it brings a description up in the right hand box
Below on the right hand side of the dialog box is an icon called "go" I click this and another dialog box appears with a fast moving text that keeps displaying 'downloading"
When it has finish the box goes and I try click the go button again but this time nothing happens

Am I correct in thinking that the app icon/ program is a download server and it has downloaded the program somewhere from off of the internet (a linux based web server/ site). If this is the case then how do I open the program up?
Thanks