WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Problem installing Tiny Core to hard drive on netbook  (Read 4326 times)

Offline peter_tce

Problem installing Tiny Core to hard drive on netbook
« on: June 06, 2020, 10:06:54 AM »
I downloaded TinyCore-current.iso a couple of days ago and burned it to a USB stick, which I used to boot an Acer Netbook, with the intention of installing TinyCore to the hard drive.  The boot from USB opened a GUI from which it was possible to use the Applications icon to download software.  Having used the system for a few minutes to get the feel of it, I then installed it, but when I booted the netbook from the hard drive, Tiny Core opened at the command line. An attempt to use tce-load to add Appbrowser to the system got the error message:

Code: [Select]
wget: bad address 'repo.tinycorelinux.net'
md5sum: appbrowser-cli.tcz.md5.txt: No such file or directory
Error on appbrowser-cli.tcz

This is my first encounter with Tiny Core, and searches in this forum have drawn a blank.  I would prefer to use the GUI and would welcome advice on how to get it running, but failing that I need advice on how to overcome the problem outlined above.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Problem installing Tiny Core to hard drive on netbook
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 10:36:27 AM »
Assuming you have a wired network connection, you can use the following command to download a basic gui:
$ tce-install -wil Xvesa flwm aterm wbar
$ startx

Offline peter_tce

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 11:10:00 AM »
Thanks for quick reply.  I tried your suggestion, but got

$ tce-install -wil Xvesa flwm aterm wbar
-sh tce-install: not found

so i'm still stuck!

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 11:23:13 AM »
Sorry, that should have been tce-load -wil

Offline peter_tce

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 01:40:00 PM »
New error message with tce-load -wil Xvisa flwm aterm wbar:

flwm.tcz.dep OK
Connecting to repo.tinycorelinux.net (89.22.99.37:00)
wget: server returned error: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
md5sum: Xvisa.tcz.md5.txt: No such file or directory
Error on Xcvisa.tcz
fltk-1.3.tcz.dep OK
libXext.tcz.dep OK
libX11.tcz.dep OK
libxcb.tca.dep OK

Clearly my install includes tce-load, but the tinycore server doesn't like the data it's getting from tce-load.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 01:52:13 PM »
Hi peter_tce
New error message with tce-load -wil Xvisa flwm aterm wbar: ...
Spelling error. That should be  Xvesa .

Offline peter_tce

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 02:02:08 PM »
Mea culpa!!!  It's obviously getting too late here in the UK!

All now working.

Thanks for your help

Offline peter_tce

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 10:44:16 AM »
I spoke too soon.  Having closed down the netbook, when it was re-booted it came up with the command line and startx had no effect.  I have used Linux as my main OS for many years, but although I'm familiar with the way the OS works, I've not often had to dig down into command line activity.  I noted that in etc/sysconfig/tc-config in TinyCore when booted from the USB memory stick there was a reference to a file named desktop  (in the sysconfig directory) which contained the single line flwm .  There was no similar file on the hard drive version, so I brushed up my folk memory of vi and created an identical file in etc/sysconfig on the hard drive, but a re-boot still resulted in the command line, so I clearly need yet more expert advice!

Offline jazzbiker

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 10:53:16 AM »
Hi, peter_tce!

Looks like Your onboot.lst was not updated unless -wil switch given to tce-load. If You are at console, please type
cat /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/onboot.lst

Is there all those Xvesa, flwm, aterm and others? Please, post the result if possible.

EDIT:

By the way, Rich posted the great system diagnostic script in http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,23936.0.html. If You would be able to load this script, run it on Your problematic box and post the output, this will makes all clear.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 11:03:52 AM by jazzbiker »

Offline peter_tce

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2020, 02:18:18 PM »
Jazzbiker,

in reply to your enquiry, the  result of cat /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/onboot.lst is:

flwm.tcz
dillo-beta.tcz
epiphany.tcz

I added lfwm.tcz manually, but the two browsers must have come from the initially successful loading of the GUI.

If the others (Xvesa and aterm) need to be added, could you advise on the appropriate order in which the list should be organised?

I'll look at the system diagnostics script as soon as I can, but things are a bit slow here (literally!) because in the area where I live the broadband has become so flaky that its speeds for the last couple of days have been little better than the old dial-up days, and even minimal graphics on a web page slow things down to crawling pace.

Offline jazzbiker

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2020, 02:35:41 PM »
@peter_tce!

Ok, to start the minimum desktop place in Your onboot.lst:
Xvesa.tcz
flwm.tcz
aterm.tcz

Traditional for TC is icon manager, but I don't use it and can not remember its name. Menu and tasklist are accessible via Alt-Tab.

Get prove, that You really downloaded extensions mentioned:
ls -l /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/optional/Xvesa.*
ls -l /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/optional/flwm.*
ls -l /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/optional/aterm.*

If they are absent,
tce-load -wi Xvesa flwm aterm

This will add their names to onboot.lst. Sorry, I was wrong, -wil downloads and installs extensions, but avoids their adding to onboot.lst.

Offline peter_tce

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2020, 04:03:18 PM »
Jazzbiker,

Thanks for that, I've now got Tiny Core up and running with the GUI.  It's missing the icons across the bottom of the screen.  I've located wbar.tcz in the repository list.  Is that what I need?  My broadband provider has today reset the filters on my line so I'm back to reasonable speeds - yesterday it was 200 bits/second!

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2020, 05:23:34 PM »
Hi peter_tce
... It's missing the icons across the bottom of the screen.  I've located wbar.tcz in the repository list.  Is that what I need? ...
Yes, that's what you need.

Offline peter_tce

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2020, 09:42:54 AM »
Thanks,  Rich.

I've added wbar.tcz to boot.lst, and removed dillo-tcz, leaving the reference to epiphany.tcz, but this results in two icons for Epiphany.  What do I need to do to have only one icon?  I note there is also a file xwbar.lst, which I thought might relate to icons to be displayed in the strip at the bottom of the screen, but that file was emply and adding .tcz references there didn't appear to make any difference to the display, so I emptied it again.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2020, 11:46:03 AM »
Hi peter_tce
... leaving the reference to epiphany.tcz, but this results in two icons for Epiphany.  What do I need to do to have only one icon? ...
Looking at the  epiphany.tcz.list  file:
http://tinycorelinux.net/11.x/x86/tcz/epiphany.tcz.list

I see 2  .desktop  files listed:
/usr/local/share/applications/epiphany.desktop
/usr/local/share/applications/org.gnome.Epiphany.desktop

Maybe  wbar  is loading both of them.  Click on the  ControlPanel  icon. Then click the  tcWbarConf  button. In the panel that says
Wbar Icons  click on the name you don't want displayed and it wiil get moved to the  eXclude Icons  panel. Then click  Apply.